Everything Apple has promised to add to HomePod in future updates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    gatorguy said:
    Apple's first real foray into "high quality audio" is a MONO speaker? That after promising stereo. Now, Apple says it will be available maybe in 11 months. Of course, Apple said in June 2017 the HomePod would sell with stereo in time for the 2017 Christmas buying season. A MONO speaker. That is the new Apple "thinking different". Who needs stereo? People used to Apple TV and its functionality should love a mono audio solution for their Apple TV viewing.
    It has 7 tweeters, and can easily do stereo with one HomePod, just watch this video for an explanation. 

Odd that Apple wouldn't mention that it does stereo then. Why do you think they don't? 

If it can do all of that, why couldn't it do stereo? They don't specifically mention it, so we don't know 100%, but it makes sense that it would do stereo by bouncing both channels off walls. 
  • Reply 22 of 71
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    mtbnut said:
    Apple should take a page out of Google's playbook and slap BETA on everything, then update it later once they figure out what they want it to do. Remember when Apple would only release fully-baked products? Now they're telling us what said products are going to do, at some later date? Really? 
    It's not a big deal. AirPlay 2 isn't out yet, and the vast majority of customers will only own one anyway. You'll live.
    williamlondonNotsofast
  • Reply 23 of 71

tzeshan said:
    Adding features over time isn't new”

It is not adding stereo feature. It was promised to be available last December. 
    Adding features over time still isn't new - regardless if that feature was adding multiple speakers.

What's amusing is that those with the biggest issue with the multiple-speaker option being late are seemingly the biggest critics and least likely actual customers. Hmm. Now why would that be...
    williamlondonroundaboutnowmike1Notsofast
  • Reply 24 of 71
    gatorguy said:
    Apple's first real foray into "high quality audio" is a MONO speaker? That after promising stereo. Now, Apple says it will be available maybe in 11 months. Of course, Apple said in June 2017 the HomePod would sell with stereo in time for the 2017 Christmas buying season. A MONO speaker. That is the new Apple "thinking different". Who needs stereo? People used to Apple TV and its functionality should love a mono audio solution for their Apple TV viewing.
    It has 7 tweeters, and can easily do stereo with one HomePod, just watch this video for an explanation. 

Odd that Apple wouldn't mention that it does stereo then. Why do you think they don't? 
    Apple refers to left & right channel separation specifically:

"Place HomePod anywhere in the room. It automatically analyzes the acoustics, adjusts the sound based on the speaker’s location, and separates the music into direct and ambient sound. Direct sound is beamed to the middle of the room, while ambient sound is diffused into left and right channels and bounced off the wall."

https://www.apple.com/homepod/

...there are differences between mono, channel separation in one unit with multiple drivers, and multiple-speaker stereo. Many here are claiming its "mono", which is bunk.

edited January 2018 NotsofastwilliamlondonPickUrPoison
  • Reply 25 of 71
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    rynoyes said:
    I'm not paying 349 for something that has amazing sound and only does what Alexa does, the "better" sound isn't worth it.... let me know when you have sonos like features working.   I have way to many portable speakers to have one plugin that I could have bought in 1999.  Just like the MacBook Pro, Siri is going to be dumbed down.  I wonder if it will even work with apple home kit.  Huge Pass
    The better sound quality isn't worth it? So you would rather have a speaker with a few more features that sounds like shit? 
    mike1williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 71

Apple has once again engineered something that many people won't understand until they hear it.  To call even one speaker "mono" is speaking as though you are from the 70's or 80's in understanding sound.  With the multiple tweeters, subwoofer, etc., and most importantly, the powerful A8 processor, you get much more than "mono" even with just one speaker.

"Place HomePod anywhere in the room. It automatically analyzes the acoustics, adjusts the sound based on the speaker’s location, and separates the music into direct and ambient sound. Direct sound is beamed to the middle of the room, while ambient sound is diffused into left and right channels and bounced off the wall."

StrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 71
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    I'm waiting for the $150 less feature.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    Apple needs to get some positive HomePod reviews out there fast. This is a sample of what I’m currently seeing on Twitter:

Nothing about the HomePod release shows Apple’s confidence in it, which makes it hard for any of us to get excited about it. 

Christina Warren (@film_girl1/23/18, 3:28 PM
    @djgeoffe For me, the value prop is non-existent. Siri doesn't have the ecosystem or willingness to spy on you to be smart enough. And it wont work with third-party music services. A Sonos One is cheaper and works with Alexa and also works with the sonos app for apple music, spotify, etc

Christina Warren (@film_girl1/23/18, 11:37 AM
    Last HomePod thought for now: the price is why it will fail. You can have a feature-limited, inexpensive product. You can have a feature-rich, expensive product. It is very difficult to find success in an established market when you are both overpriced and under-featured.

Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith1/23/18, 8:43 AM
    HomePod is only mysterious if you’re still hoping it has secret features Apple hasn’t announced; reality is it’s just a straightforward, ‘boring’ product that does just what it says on the marketing page (and, 8 months later, still unable to ship with all features advertised)

Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith1/23/18, 10:04 AM
    If HomePod were a mesh-network AirPort replacement, I would be all over it. As it is, it's just another outlet-taker-upper, and I've run out of outlets 😂

On the HomePod audio point, lots of products and services tried to sell on sound quality alone and none sold in high volume. MP3s confirmed to us consumers are fine with good enough audio. The value has to be in Siri/personal assistant for Apple’s long term strategic ambitions.

williamlondoncornchip
  • Reply 29 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:

Apple refers to left & right channel separation specifically:

https://www.apple.com/homepod/

...there are differences between mono, channel separation in one unit with multiple drivers, and multiple-speaker stereo. Many here are claiming its "mono", which is bunk.

I agree with you and would not consider it "mono" myself. Perhaps more surround than stereo? Dunno. I guess we'll all be able to do more than guess about it by the middle of next month. 
  • Reply 30 of 71
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Apple needs to get some positive HomePod reviews out there fast. This is a sample of what I’m currently seeing on Twitter:

Nothing about the HomePod release shows Apple’s confidence in it, which makes it hard for any of us to get excited about it. 

@djgeoffe For me, the value prop is non-existent. Siri doesn't have the ecosystem or willingness to spy on you to be smart enough. And it wont work with third-party music services. A Sonos One is cheaper and works with Alexa and also works with the sonos app for apple music, spotify, etc

Last HomePod thought for now: the price is why it will fail. You can have a feature-limited, inexpensive product. You can have a feature-rich, expensive product. It is very difficult to find success in an established market when you are both overpriced and under-featured.

HomePod is only mysterious if you’re still hoping it has secret features Apple hasn’t announced; reality is it’s just a straightforward, ‘boring’ product that does just what it says on the marketing page (and, 8 months later, still unable to ship with all features advertised)

If HomePod were a mesh-network AirPort replacement, I would be all over it. As it is, it's just another outlet-taker-upper, and I've run out of outlets 😂

On the HomePod audio point, lots of products and services tried to sell on sound quality alone and none sold in high volume. MP3s confirmed to us consumers are fine with good enough audio. The value has to be in Siri/personal assistant for Apple’s long term strategic ambitions.

And why would I care what a random bunch of twitheads are spewing?
    StrangeDaysbrucemcroundaboutnowwilliamlondoncornchipmmatzPickUrPoison
  • Reply 31 of 71

If HomePod were a mesh-network AirPort replacement, I would be all over it. As it is, it's just another outlet-taker-upper, and I've run out of outlets ߘ⦬t;br>

Typical techie echo chamber crap. See AirPods, Apple Watch, iPad, iPhone, iPod, etc... It's the same techies POV you have indulged in in the past so I'll say the same thing again -- it doesn't matter. Apple doesn't make products for Marco Arment's Techie Echo Chamber of Doom, Worry, and Concern (tm). They make stuff for normals. 

Infamous slashdot techies complaint about the iPod and why it was doomed:

“No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame”

edited January 2018 NotsofastroundaboutnowJWSCwilliamlondoncornchipmmatzPickUrPoison
  • Reply 32 of 71
    I know that this might be a stupid question, but, is there any way to have the HomePod connect to a TV so that it acts like a sound bar in addition to a smart speaker?
  • Reply 33 of 71
    This product release is the absolute worst I have ever seen at Apple.   Hyped 6 months before the promised release with very little information.   No true product keynote demonstration to generate excitement.   The release date is missed.  A full Christmas buying season missed.   The product launched with no compelling marketing presentation or information prior to the release.   Key features that were promised deleted in the initial release with no date given for when they will appear.   No reviews in advance of the release to generate excitement.

A total FUBAR product release.  
    edited January 2018 rogifan_new
  • Reply 34 of 71
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

If HomePod were a mesh-network AirPort replacement, I would be all over it. As it is, it's just another outlet-taker-upper, and I've run out of outlets ߘ⦬t;br>

Typical techie echo chamber crap. See AirPods, Apple Watch, iPad, iPhone, iPod, etc... It's the same techies POV you have indulged in in the past so I'll say the same thing again -- it doesn't matter. Apple doesn't make products for Marco Arment's Techie Echo Chamber of Doom, Worry, and Concern (tm). They make stuff for normals. 

or just go back to Nov/Dec of 2016 to read all that is negative of the AirPods...before the actually shipped or any of the critics had actually used them of course...
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnowcornchipmmatzPickUrPoison
  • Reply 35 of 71
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

This product release is the absolute worst I have ever seen at Apple.   Hyped 6 months before the promised release with very little information.   No true product keynote demonstration to generate excitement.   The release date is missed.  A full Christmas buying season missed.   The product launched with no compelling marketing presentation or information prior to the release.   Key features that were promised deleted in the initial release with no date given for when they will appear.   No reviews in advance of the release to generate excitement.

I do agree the "release process" is underwhelming to say the least.  Can't explain it.  It isn't being released in my country anyways, so I don't have a purchasing decision to make at this time.  Will have to sit back and listen to the reviews and experiences of actual users.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 36 of 71

And why would a ‘normal’ pay $349 for a HomePod when they can get a Sonos, Google Home or Echo for cheaper? Normals won’t know jack shit about this product. Hence why I said Apple needs to get positive reviews out there fast. Reviews that tell ‘normals’ why shelling out $349 for an iPhone accessory is worth it.
  • Reply 37 of 71

Don't panic because of a few posts that 99.9 percent of people won't read anyways.  Apple isn't worried.  The fantastic sound , and Apple ecosystem, and better design and privacy, etc., will drive sales, not some negative comments from a few bloggers that 99% of folks have never heard of outside of the tiny tech community.  Marco Arment has lost credibiilty as he has become just a crank.  Could be a hormone problem, but something is going on.  Can't listen to ATP anymore as every show is a negative stream about Apple.  Some are speculating that it has to do with Apple improvements to Podcast app is making his irrelevant.   Christina Warren has no credibility as her analysis is very superficial as shown by her silly post. She doesn't do basic research to understand that from Day 1, the Homepod will do what 99% of people use it for--play music, check weather and set a timer.  The NYT just wrote an in-depth article that the vast majority of features that the Echo has are irrelevant to most all

users.https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/15/technology/virtual-assistants-alexa.html
    edited January 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 38 of 71

Yep. Yep. Yep. Nothing about this release makes any sense. Like Marco Arment said, nothing in this rollout shows Apple’s confidence in the product thus it’s difficult for customers to get excited about it.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 39 of 71

mike1 said:

And why would I care what a random bunch of twitheads are spewing?
    They’re not random. Ben Bajarin is a well known consumer tech analyst (who is typically pro-Apple). Steve Troughton-Smith is a well know developer. Christina Warren used to write for Mashable, was a frequent guest on Leo Laporte’s MacBreak Weekly and even got to interview Jony Ive once. 
  • Reply 40 of 71

A total FUBAR product release.   Steve Jobs would have never tolerated this level of mediocrity and incompetence.
    Yep. Yep. Yep. Nothing about this release makes any sense. Like Marco Arment said, nothing in this rollout shows Apple’s confidence in the product thus it’s difficult for customers to get excited about it.
    Producing 10-12 million of them.  Confident enough to forgo the Christmas sales season to get it right.  No confidence ? ,LOL.   
    roundaboutnowJWSCcornchip