Everything Apple has promised to add to HomePod in future updates

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71

mike1 said:
    Apple needs to get some positive HomePod reviews out there fast. This is a sample of what I’m currently seeing on Twitter:

Nothing about the HomePod release shows Apple’s confidence in it, which makes it hard for any of us to get excited about it. 

Christina Warren (@film_girl1/23/18, 3:28 PM
    @djgeoffe For me, the value prop is non-existent. Siri doesn't have the ecosystem or willingness to spy on you to be smart enough. And it wont work with third-party music services. A Sonos One is cheaper and works with Alexa and also works with the sonos app for apple music, spotify, etc

Christina Warren (@film_girl1/23/18, 11:37 AM
    Last HomePod thought for now: the price is why it will fail. You can have a feature-limited, inexpensive product. You can have a feature-rich, expensive product. It is very difficult to find success in an established market when you are both overpriced and under-featured.

Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith1/23/18, 8:43 AM
    HomePod is only mysterious if you’re still hoping it has secret features Apple hasn’t announced; reality is it’s just a straightforward, ‘boring’ product that does just what it says on the marketing page (and, 8 months later, still unable to ship with all features advertised)

Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith1/23/18, 10:04 AM
    If HomePod were a mesh-network AirPort replacement, I would be all over it. As it is, it's just another outlet-taker-upper, and I've run out of outlets ߘ⦬t;br>

On the HomePod audio point, lots of products and services tried to sell on sound quality alone and none sold in high volume. MP3s confirmed to us consumers are fine with good enough audio. The value has to be in Siri/personal assistant for Apple’s long term strategic ambitions.

And why would I care what a random bunch of twitheads are spewing?
    They’re not random. Ben Bajarin is a well known consumer tech analyst (who is typically pro-Apple). Steve Troughton-Smith is a well know developer. Christina Warren used to write for Mashable, was a frequent guest on Leo Laporte’s MacBreak Weekly and even got to interview Jony Ive once. 
    The point is 99.9% of people have never heard of them, don't read their posts and thus couldn't care less about these posts.  People who care about great sound, being in the Apple ecosystem, care about privacy,  don't want the cheap looking GA and Echo sitting on their furniture, etc., are the target audience. That's well over a billion people worldwide.  Heck, there are over 500 million people alone who use Siri regularly; it's by far the most used assistant in the world.  Those people will love having Siri with six microphones, who can go deep into music AI.  
    edited January 2018 StrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 42 of 71
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    This product release is the absolute worst I have ever seen at Apple.   Hyped 6 months before the promised release with very little information.   No true product keynote demonstration to generate excitement.   The release date is missed.  A full Christmas buying season missed.   The product launched with no compelling marketing presentation or information prior to the release.   Key features that were promised deleted in the initial release with no date given for when they will appear.   No reviews in advance of the release to generate excitement.

A total FUBAR product release.   Steve Jobs would have never tolerated this level of mediocrity and incompetence.
    Hmm yeah so how is it that Jobs released the white iPhone 4 *nine* months late? Doh!!! 

Stop being so dramatic. It's a new product and it harms no one other than Apple's earning ability to release it slightly late. It's hilarious to hear you guys both condemn it as being useless but also complaining about it being late. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 43 of 71

Apple needs to get some positive HomePod reviews out there fast. This is a sample of what I’m currently seeing on Twitter:

Nothing about the HomePod release shows Apple’s confidence in it, which makes it hard for any of us to get excited about it. 

@djgeoffe For me, the value prop is non-existent. Siri doesn't have the ecosystem or willingness to spy on you to be smart enough. And it wont work with third-party music services. A Sonos One is cheaper and works with Alexa and also works with the sonos app for apple music, spotify, etc

Last HomePod thought for now: the price is why it will fail. You can have a feature-limited, inexpensive product. You can have a feature-rich, expensive product. It is very difficult to find success in an established market when you are both overpriced and under-featured.

HomePod is only mysterious if you’re still hoping it has secret features Apple hasn’t announced; reality is it’s just a straightforward, ‘boring’ product that does just what it says on the marketing page (and, 8 months later, still unable to ship with all features advertised)

If HomePod were a mesh-network AirPort replacement, I would be all over it. As it is, it's just another outlet-taker-upper, and I've run out of outlets ߘ⦬t;br>

On the HomePod audio point, lots of products and services tried to sell on sound quality alone and none sold in high volume. MP3s confirmed to us consumers are fine with good enough audio. The value has to be in Siri/personal assistant for Apple’s long term strategic ambitions.

Typical techie echo chamber crap. See AirPods, Apple Watch, iPad, iPhone, iPod, etc... It's the same techies POV you have indulged in in the past so I'll say the same thing again -- it doesn't matter. Apple doesn't make products for Marco Arment's Techie Echo Chamber of Doom, Worry, and Concern (tm). They make stuff for normals. 

Infamous slashdot techies complaint about the iPod and why it was doomed:

“No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame”

And why would a ‘normal’ pay $349 for a HomePod when they can get a Sonos, Google Home or Echo for cheaper? Normals won’t know jack shit about this product. Hence why I said Apple needs to get positive reviews out there fast. Reviews that tell ‘normals’ why shelling out $349 for an iPhone accessory is worth it.
    The thing isn't even out yet and you're complaining that Apple doesn't know how to market it. Apple, the king of marketing. Who in fact people claim is *only* marketing. Hilarious. 

A Google Home or Echo isn't even in the same category as the HP -- those are cheap voice assistants that can also do music. This is a quality shelf speaker that can also do assistant. You fundamentally misunderstand the product being discussed. It's OK tho, you do it every time.
    cornchip
  • Reply 44 of 71

mike1 said:

If HomePod were a mesh-network AirPort replacement, I would be all over it. As it is, it's just another outlet-taker-upper, and I've run out of outlets 😂

And why would I care what a random bunch of twitheads are spewing?
    They’re not random. Ben Bajarin is a well known consumer tech analyst (who is typically pro-Apple). Steve Troughton-Smith is a well know developer. Christina Warren used to write for Mashable, was a frequent guest on Leo Laporte’s MacBreak Weekly and even got to interview Jony Ive once. 
    Doesn't mean they still aren't the techie echo chamber. They very much are. And techies and pundits usually fail to understand Apple products or strategy. Over, and over, and over...
    cornchipPickUrPoison
  • Reply 45 of 71
    I’m all for releasing something when it’s ready. HomePod is clearly not. They delay it for over a month and finally announce its shipping but with missing key features. Perhaps Apple should do some serious evaluation and not announce something they can’t deliver for over a year. They’re blowing it..
    Think about what you are suggesting--that knowing there are millions of people who are anxious to buy the Homepod now, Apple should delay selling it to them because they are still refining Airplay 2 when the day people plug in their new Homepods they will be in ecstasy over the fantastic sound, Siri features, HomeKit, etc????  The vast majority of people won't buy two of them right away and for those who do,  they can wait a bit longer for the free software update to implement Airplay.  
  • Reply 46 of 71
    The amount of negativity is astounding. I would be ordering 2 if they launched in Canada. One on main floor and another upstairs.  Once you can pair, I would buy another one for the main floor for stereo. 

I have been holding off on a full Sonos buy in to see what the HomePod offers and until we see Sonos support Airplay 2. I dont really like having to play music through the Sonos app. I have no interest in the Echo or Google Home. I want a high quality speaker and like the Homekit, Siri, iOS integration.  

If I dont like the HomePod(s)?  **gasp** I will return it. 

cornchip
  • Reply 47 of 71
    And why would a ‘normal’ pay $349 for a HomePod when they can get a Sonos, Google Home or Echo for cheaper? Normals won’t know jack shit about this product. Hence why I said Apple needs to get positive reviews out there fast. Reviews that tell ‘normals’ why shelling out $349 for an iPhone accessory is worth it.
    Beats headphones are an accessory too and they have already been proven to sell at $299-$399. Sonos and Bose both sell multiple compact speakers that are $350 or higher. There's nothing wrong with the price. 
    cornchipPickUrPoison
  • Reply 48 of 71
    clarker99 said:
    The amount of negativity is astounding. I would be ordering 2 if they launched in Canada. One on main floor and another upstairs.  Once you can pair, I would buy another one for the main floor for stereo. 

I have been holding off on a full Sonos buy in to see what the HomePod offers and until we see Sonos support Airplay 2. I dont really like having to play music through the Sonos app. I have no interest in the Echo or Google Home. I want a high quality speaker and like the Homekit, Siri, iOS integration.  

The amount of negativity is astounding?  Keep it in perspective,  you have Apple consistently rated one of the most admired companies in the world, typically leading every category in customer satisfaction.  They have sold billions of devices; this year alone a quarter of a billion people worldwide will buy one of their iPhones.  Consumers, who are in the end the only one's whose opinion matters, continue to put them at the top of almost every single category Apple chooses to compete in, whether it is hardware, software or services.  Contrast that with what, ten people on this particular forum who hate Apple no matter what they do. Heck on the entire website of AI,  you probably have a 100 or so trollers who show up to bash Apple to make themselves feel better about something in their lives that isn't going well.  Tim Cook and Apple pay no heed to them.  They focus on the hundreds of millions of people who want to be part of Apple's ecosystem.

PickUrPoison
  • Reply 49 of 71
    HomePod eventually should be able to identify voices and beam-form requested material either to, or away from, their ears. 
     A user could ask for their messages, be recognized, and have the messages read to their ears only. Someone next to the intended recipient would not hear the messages. 

A user could ask that music being played be replaced by silence, just for them. 

The tech to do this exists, and has been demonstrated, but whether it is in the HomePod’s future is a question. 
  • Reply 50 of 71
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Typical techie echo chamber crap. See AirPods, Apple Watch, iPad, iPhone, iPod, etc... It's the same techies POV you have indulged in in the past so I'll say the same thing again -- it doesn't matter. Apple doesn't make products for Marco Arment's Techie Echo Chamber of Doom, Worry, and Concern (tm). They make stuff for normals. 

Infamous slashdot techies complaint about the iPod and why it was doomed:

“No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame”

Normals do know about the product and they trust Apple, they don't read the techie press but get their info from local sources, or even their friends.
    If anyone in their vicinity has one or has been looking for one, which considering Apple is highly probability, they'll come in direct contact with info or come in contact with the speaker very soon and decide for themselves.

If anyone thinks that a $50 amazon speaker sounds the same as a much more expensive speaker, they obviously don't value sound at all and Apple is certainly not solving their issue of getting the best sound ever in a room by tuning the speaker / music combo to that room and they're NOT THE TARGET MARKET.

The techie idiots that are commenting right now are not even those that actually heard the speakers mind you (those ones ACTUALLY LOVED IT AND THINK IT IS WORTH IT), they're idiots who misrepresent the speakers future and present capacity (aka they lie) for god knows wtf reason and haven't LISTENED TO IT in some drama queen way : AKA, trolls.

So, many times I hear the same repetitive things coming from you. All the time, for just about every single Apple products
    When you have to eat crow about this, will you have to shut the hell up about Apple product doom.

StrangeDays
  • Reply 51 of 71
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Notsofast said:

This product release is the absolute worst I have ever seen at Apple.   Hyped 6 months before the promised release with very little information.   No true product keynote demonstration to generate excitement.   The release date is missed.  A full Christmas buying season missed.   The product launched with no compelling marketing presentation or information prior to the release.   Key features that were promised deleted in the initial release with no date given for when they will appear.   No reviews in advance of the release to generate excitement.

A total FUBAR product release.   Steve Jobs would have never tolerated this level of mediocrity and incompetence.
    Yep. Yep. Yep. Nothing about this release makes any sense. Like Marco Arment said, nothing in this rollout shows Apple’s confidence in the product thus it’s difficult for customers to get excited about it.
    Producing 10-12 million of them.  Confident enough to forgo the Christmas sales season to get it right.  No confidence ? ,LOL.   
    YEs, Rogi is close to a random meme generator about Apple doom right now.
    cornchip
  • Reply 52 of 71
    Notsofast said:
    clarker99 said:

The amount of negativity is astounding?  Keep it in perspective,  you have Apple consistently rated one of the most admired companies in the world, typically leading every category in customer satisfaction.  They have sold billions of devices; this year alone a quarter of a billion people worldwide will buy one of their iPhones.  Consumers, who are in the end the only one's whose opinion matters, continue to put them at the top of almost every single category Apple chooses to compete in, whether it is hardware, software or services.  Contrast that with what, ten people on this particular forum who hate Apple no matter what they do. Heck on the entire website of AI,  you probably have a 100 or so trollers who show up to bash Apple to make themselves feel better about something in their lives that isn't going well.  Tim Cook and Apple pay no heed to them.  They focus on the hundreds of millions of people who want to be part of Apple's ecosystem.

Yeah, I understand that. The comment sections for HomePod topics have been far more negative than normal, IMO.

I was more pessimistic about AirPods than I am HomePod. 
  • Reply 53 of 71
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    gatorguy said:
    Apple's first real foray into "high quality audio" is a MONO speaker? That after promising stereo. Now, Apple says it will be available maybe in 11 months. Of course, Apple said in June 2017 the HomePod would sell with stereo in time for the 2017 Christmas buying season. A MONO speaker. That is the new Apple "thinking different". Who needs stereo? People used to Apple TV and its functionality should love a mono audio solution for their Apple TV viewing.
    It has 7 tweeters, and can easily do stereo with one HomePod, just watch this video for an explanation. 

Odd that Apple wouldn't mention that it does stereo then. Why do you think they don't? 
    Apple refers to left & right channel separation specifically:

"Place HomePod anywhere in the room. It automatically analyzes the acoustics, adjusts the sound based on the speaker’s location, and separates the music into direct and ambient sound. Direct sound is beamed to the middle of the room, while ambient sound is diffused into left and right channels and bounced off the wall."

https://www.apple.com/homepod/

...there are differences between mono, channel separation in one unit with multiple drivers, and multiple-speaker stereo. Many here are claiming its "mono", which is bunk.

We'll have to wait and see how it stands up to conventional, quality speakers. I'm not in this market so I don't have to fret over a purchase wondering if it will be worth the cash or not. I'll let blind testing do that in the reviews. I'm sure AI will do exactly that.

There's a lot 'fiddling' going on with the sound and whenever that happens people get nervous. That's understandable. 

On the stereo front, it is strange that Apple is dancing around the word a little but from what they are implying, it seems like a lot of effort just to get where two well placed speakers would already essentially offer true stereo anyway.

On top of that goes the 'processing/analysing' and the actual delivery. If it doesn't offer an audibly better experience the price will be called into doubt.

In my case my ears are old enough and no doubt damaged enough to be considered poor judgers and they aren't going to get better but if the majority say the result is head and shoulders above the rest it might be worth looking for a demo somewhere.

• Reply 54 of 71
    What bothers me: I will not be able to play my CD-ripped songs in iTunes with the HomePod... like I can through the Apple TV to my sound system when my Mac is on, iTunes booted, and on the network. Not being able to do that with the HomePod is a deal-killer.

If you want to pay $20 a month for Apple Music, fine, but I don't want to pay for that when all my extensive music collection is playable through my Mac and AirPlay.
    (The HomePod will also know about any digital songs/albums that were bought from Apple via the iTunes Store.)

I want to be able to say to Siri, "Play Whatever-Album in iTunes." Perhaps my needed feature will come in a future firmware upgrade.. but that is not mentioned in this article... nor anywhere else that I have read.

Too bad... I was ready to buy a HomePod.

larryacornchip
  • Reply 55 of 71
    I’m with Gruber right now. Though I think it remains to be seen if audiophiles will choose this over proven brands in the space.

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2018/01/24/boris-schlossberg-claim-chowder
    HomePod is one of the most interesting new Apple products in years, insofar as I really don’t know how it’s going to sell. If most people see it as a direct competitor to Amazon Echos and Google Home dinguses, HomePod might be in trouble, because it’s a lot more expensive and has fewer features. But Apple has been positioning it as, first and foremost, a high-quality music player. The Siri-as-personal-assistant/smart-home-controller is secondary to audio quality. If there’s a market for that, HomePod could clean up. $350 is a low price in the audio world.
    cornchip
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    stevenoz said:
    What bothers me: I will not be able to play my CD-ripped songs in iTunes with the HomePod... like I can through the Apple TV to my sound system when my Mac is on, iTunes booted, and on the network. Not being able to do that with the HomePod is a deal-killer.

If you want to pay $20 a month for Apple Music, fine, but I don't want to pay for that when all my extensive music collection is playable through my Mac and AirPlay.
    (The HomePod will also know about any digital songs/albums that were bought from Apple via the iTunes Store.)

I want to be able to say to Siri, "Play Whatever-Album in iTunes." Perhaps my needed feature will come in a future firmware upgrade.. but that is not mentioned in this article... nor anywhere else that I have read.

It's an AirPlay speaker. Why wouldn't you be able to play your CD-ripped songs in iTunes.

Edit - oh, through Siri? Yeah, not so much.
    edited January 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 57 of 71
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    mtbnut said:
    Apple should take a page out of Google's playbook and slap BETA on everything, then update it later once they figure out what they want it to do. Remember when Apple would only release fully-baked products? Now they're telling us what said products are going to do, at some later date? Really? 

Hate to say this Apple has not release the full back product ever, all product even the first mac added more features with software update to made the product better.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member

Joined just to post negative commentary about HomePod, eh? What's the going rate for that sort of 'work?'
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 59 of 71
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    stevenoz said:

It's an AirPlay speaker. Why wouldn't you be able to play your CD-ripped songs in iTunes.

Edit - oh, through Siri? Yeah, not so much.
    Everything else about HPs I’m loving, but That does suck. Seems fixable with software update?
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 60 of 71
    stevenoz said:

Why won’t you be able to use the HP as an audio endpoint? If you press-and-hold the Play button on your remote you can select which AirPlay device to beam the audio to. I see my iHome shelf speaker right now.