Messages in iCloud returns in Apple's iOS 11.3 beta 1

Posted:
in iOS
First announced last June at its Worldwide Developers Conference, Messages in iCloud have not yet launched, but could be coming to this spring's iOS 11.3 update, based on the first developer beta issued.

In detailing the features of iOS 11.3 on Wednesday, Apple made no mention of Messages in iCloud. But the company surprised later in the day with the release of iOS 11.3 beta 1, which includes Messages in iCloud "for testing and evaluation purposes."

Apple has notified developers that they will be asked to turn on Messages in iCloud on first launch after updating to iOS 11.3 beta 1. The feature is automatically enabled for users who have two-factor authentication and iCloud Backup enabled.

The Messages in iCloud feature synchronizes a user's Messages "stack" between devices seamlessly. Deleting a message on one logged-in device strikes it from all connected to the same iCloud account. In addition, only the newest messages would be stored on-device, with the rest held in iCloud and loaded only when needed.

Messages in iCloud was available to developers to test in early betas of iOS 11 last summer, but the feature was pulled from the update before release.

Other features were not present in the final public release of iOS 11, including Apple Pay Cash and AirPlay 2. Apple Pay Cash ultimately launched in iOS 11.2 last year, but AirPlay 2 has been delayed and will not ship with the HomePod smart speaker, instead arriving later this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    While I can see it's value for some, I probably won't enable this. I delete complete message stacks from my iPad (personal use only) that I keep on my phone (personal and work use).
    peterhartmavemufc
  • Reply 2 of 14
    As a lifelong family-and-friends tech support representative, one of the most common things i have to deal with is "why is this conversation on my phone, but not on my computer," or "why do I have two different threads with Bill on one device, but they're unified on another." Very much looking forward to this.
    bwintxStrangeDaysjony0tokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Gonna be useful for a lot of people, especially those who still buy the lowest capacity available for their phones.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    As a lifelong family-and-friends tech support representative, one of the most common things i have to deal with is "why is this conversation on my phone, but not on my computer," or "why do I have two different threads with Bill on one device, but they're unified on another." Very much looking forward to this.
    I understand these issues will be resolved (hopefully) once the iCloud Messages is implemented, I am curious how you deal with this at the moment. I have just resigned myself to live with this annoyance. I am tech capable but but not always willing, meaning that in cases like this I just have accepted it and have never bothered to delve deeper.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    paxman said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I understand these issues will be resolved (hopefully) once the iCloud Messages is implemented, I am curious how you deal with this at the moment. I have just resigned myself to live with this annoyance. I am tech capable but but not always willing, meaning that in cases like this I just have accepted it and have never bothered to delve deeper.
    This is supposed to work semi-well right now as long as you have compatible hardware and software among all your devices. I still can't get group messages that include someone NOT on iOS devices to show up on my Mac in Messages (at least not all the time) but that could be a configuration error on my part. 

https://www.apple.com/macos/continuity/ ;
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Currently it is possible to pull the local messages database and make your own backup of it - I wonder if they thought of provision for that. 
  • Reply 7 of 14
    there ae days when i want messages in my apple devices in sync, but there are days also when i’m relieved to find that a message i had deleted on iphone was still there on my apple watch, especially if it turned out to be an important one that i forgot. so i’m on the fence on this one but i’m glad there’s an option to opt out.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Generally, I keep messages from people I commonly/routinely message on my iPhone, however, I usually delete random messages from people I don't message as much.  Also, I get a few daily stock alert messages that I delete after reading.  My Apple Watch, however, keeps ALL messages.  I thought back when Apple Watch was introduced, if you deleted on your iPhone, it would also delete on Apple Watch.  This is not the case for me, so I end up with old messages on my Apple Watch I don't want.  I also thought Continuity's purpose was supposed to keep our iDevices in sync.  Apple Watch is set to "Mirror my iPhone" and "Handoff" is turned on in iPhone settings.  What am I missing?
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 9 of 14
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    All Chinese iCloud users and their contacts will have their messages monitored in real time! Do you like it?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    rob53 said:
    paxman said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    This is supposed to work semi-well right now as long as you have compatible hardware and software among all your devices. I still can't get group messages that include someone NOT on iOS devices to show up on my Mac in Messages (at least not all the time) but that could be a configuration error on my part. 

https://www.apple.com/macos/continuity/ ;
    Yeah, I have to look at my continuity setup, perhaps. One of the most annoying things is the way conversations carried out on one device won't show up on another. And also the way there seems to multiple conversation threads with the same person, and sometimes not all the threads are visible. I also find the search feature lacking. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    The Messages in iCloud was a feature that I was really looking forward to in the current iOS, so I was disappointed it didn't make it in.  I am glad to hear that it may finally be coming out.  That said, I really wish they would go a bit further than just putting my messages in the cloud and make this a more dynamic useful integration of several different features ... 

MESSAGES IN ICLOUD FEATURES
    1. Syncing - Obviously Syncing of Messages across all Apple Devices
    2. Single Tool for Text, Voice, Video - Closer relationship of communications options with a contact using Messages so that Text, Voice, and Video are all easily accessible or even a single tool.  More closely relate the Messages App to FaceTime App, Phone App, and Contacts App.  Make it easier to initiate a phone call or FaceTime call with a Messages contact.
    3. Voicemail - Moving Visual Voicemail to Messages so that Voicemail from a contact shows up in their text stream as a voice recording and text transcription.
    4. Videomail - Allow FaceTime callers to leave a VideoMail that would also appear in the Messages stream for that contact.
    5. Shared Photos to iCloud Photo - Automatically place images from a contacts text messages into a iCloud Photo Album named after the contact and directly linked from Messages.
    6. Save Shared Links - Automatically save any shared links in a shared links menu for easy access
    7. Easier Location Sharing - Closer relationship of Messages with the Find Friends App.  Make it easier to share locations and view shared locations
    I would really love to hear the Apple Community imagine where Apple could go with these communications services.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    johnm0630 said:
    The Messages in iCloud was a feature that I was really looking forward to in the current iOS, so I was disappointed it didn't make it in.  I am glad to hear that it may finally be coming out.  That said, I really wish they would go a bit further than just putting my messages in the cloud and make this a more dynamic useful integration of several different features ... 

MESSAGES IN ICLOUD FEATURES
    1. Syncing - Obviously Syncing of Messages across all Apple Devices
    2. Single Tool for Text, Voice, Video - Closer relationship of communications options with a contact using Messages so that Text, Voice, and Video are all easily accessible or even a single tool.  More closely relate the Messages App to FaceTime App, Phone App, and Contacts App.  Make it easier to initiate a phone call or FaceTime call with a Messages contact.
    3. Voicemail - Moving Visual Voicemail to Messages so that Voicemail from a contact shows up in their text stream as a voice recording and text transcription.
    4. Videomail - Allow FaceTime callers to leave a VideoMail that would also appear in the Messages stream for that contact.
    5. Shared Photos to iCloud Photo - Automatically place images from a contacts text messages into a iCloud Photo Album named after the contact and directly linked from Messages.
    6. Save Shared Links - Automatically save any shared links in a shared links menu for easy access
    7. Easier Location Sharing - Closer relationship of Messages with the Find Friends App.  Make it easier to share locations and view shared locations
    I would really love to hear the Apple Community imagine where Apple could go with these communications services.
    Genuinely excellent suggestions John. Have you given these to Apple? (via https://www.apple.com/feedback/)
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Wake me up when they announce a Messages app for icloud.com.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Wake me up when they announce a Messages app for icloud.com.
    I’m calling it. Time of death: 1:56 PM EDT, 5/1/2018