macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 warns users about 32-bit software's impending demise

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    That is Quicktime 7, which hasn't been updated in forever. I think I had to DL it separately at one point so I could get the simple trimming, splitting, and clip appending, and audio recording before QuickTime X became full featured, which I think was always 64-bit.
    I still use QT7 all the time for things that are a major production to do with other tools -- adding/removing audio tracks, adding chapter markers, trimming clips, captioning, etc. Are you saying these tasks can be performed with QTX now?
    I only use the features I mentioned so I can't be sure about the ones you added.I know it can read Chapters, but I'm not sure about adding them. And I know there's an option tp Show Audio Tracks but I don't think I've ever used it.

I guess pull it up and see what it can do. There are also some hidden features you can enable within the PLIST, like auto-start; or at least used to be able to enable.
  • Reply 22 of 35

Soli said:
    emoeller said:
    I hope they don't ditch DVD player - how would I watch DVD/netflix rentals?  I live in a rural area with limited broadband coverage…
    There are countless options for playing region-locked DVDs on your Mac.
    I hope there's a 64-bit DVD player app than can read the images RipIt creates. I'm still in the process of ripping hundreds of DVDs, many of them TV series, and being able to play them on the same screen as I'm using to view the rips is really handy when entering all the metadata, not least making sure that I'm entering it for the correct episode!
    I've mentioned iVI Pro more than a few times on this forum. Their Pro version can read DRMed video DVDs, pull out episodes, re-encode to H.264 or H.265, grab the metadata and even import into iTunes for you.
    edited January 2018 cornchiplorin schultz
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Soli said:
    I've mentioned iVI Pro more than a few times on this forum.
    Sorry, I've either forgotten or not read the threads in which you've mentioned it. Thanks for the repeat!

Soli said:
    Their Pro version can read DRMed video DVDs, pull out episodes, re-encode to H.264 or H.265, grab the metadata and even import into iTunes for you.
    Slick! Sounds like I want it NOW, not just because it's 64-bit but because it sounds like it might really simplify my workflow. Thanks!
  • Reply 24 of 35
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Guess I won't be able to use my old Photoshop CS3 any longer.
    kcadm
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Soli said:
    I guess pull it up and see what it can do.
    Yup, I did. I didn't realize X trims clips. Did it always do that or was that added in a later version?

I didn't see any way to add or remove audio tracks, captioning, or chapter markers, so it looks like simple cuts-only editing is the extent of its feature set. I'm not sure how I'll perform those functions if QT7 doesn't work in future operating systems, but I'm sure it'll be a lot more hassle and won't be free!

Soli said:
    There are also some hidden features you can enable
    See, that's the thing with Apple UIs these days -- some functions are not immediately apparent to the user. Sometimes I find them by accident, other times I read about them here. I suspect that there are many more I am still not aware of. That's why I supplement "take a look and see what you find" with "ask the person who posted if they noticed anything I didn't!"
  • Reply 26 of 35
    welshdog said:
    Guess I won't be able to use my old Photoshop CS3 any longer.
    Get PS Elements. It's 90% of the full Photoshop at a fraction of the price. It's relatively inexpensive at around $80 or so, and is not tied to a subscription. If you're still using PS3, you're gonna LOVE what you can do with a modern version of Elements. Many of the tools have enjoyed considerable refinement over the years, so even the budget version is going to be much more powerful than an old version of the full app.
    welshdog
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Soli said:
    There are also some hidden features you can enable
    See, that's the thing with Apple UIs these days -- some functions are not immediately apparent to the user. Sometimes I find them by accident, other times I read about them here. I suspect that there are many more I am still not aware of. That's why I supplement "take a look and see what you find" with "ask the person who posted if they noticed anything I didn't!"
    Some things are just silly, to me. Try adding a single Space to your Safari toolbar. They've removed that option from the Customize Toolbar options. All you can do is a Flexible Space now without editing the PLIST file.

PS: Make sure you grab iVI Pro 4 from their website, not the iVI 4 on the Mac App Store, since the App Store doesn't have the DVD authorizing per Apple's guidelines. Plus, their website has a free trial.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    emoeller said:
    The easiest way to determine what KIND of program is running is to use Activity Monitor.   From the top menu under View/Columns select KIND -  it will show whether the program running is 64 or 32 bit.   

I have some older utilities and drivers for hardware that are 32 bit that most likely can not be updated.    I have just replaced my 2009 iMac with a new 2017 iMac (big shout out to AppleInsider and their sponsor Adorama - they had THE BEST price and their service was excellent) and I'll use my old machine to run those older programs and hardware going forward.  
    I'm showing 2 Ruby and 3 Dropbox processes still in 32-bit. I assume Dropbox can resolve there end. I'm not sure what's using the Ruby at this point.
    I’m going to guess that you’re running some kind of workflow engine like Alfred or Dropzone that can run Ruby scripts. 

• Reply 29 of 35
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:
    emoeller said:
    The easiest way to determine what KIND of program is running is to use Activity Monitor.   From the top menu under View/Columns select KIND -  it will show whether the program running is 64 or 32 bit.   

I have some older utilities and drivers for hardware that are 32 bit that most likely can not be updated.    I have just replaced my 2009 iMac with a new 2017 iMac (big shout out to AppleInsider and their sponsor Adorama - they had THE BEST price and their service was excellent) and I'll use my old machine to run those older programs and hardware going forward.  
    I'm showing 2 Ruby and 3 Dropbox processes still in 32-bit. I assume Dropbox can resolve there end. I'm not sure what's using the Ruby at this point.
    I’m going to guess that you’re running some kind of workflow engine like Alfred or Dropzone that can run Ruby scripts. 

Neither of those names ring a bell. I'm familiar with Alfred from probably a decade or more ago.

I may have installed Ruby on Rails at some point to try it out… but I'm not sure that's the case or even if those are connected. I clicked the process and it just takes me to launchd.

edit: It's for of my VPN app, PIA (Private Internet Access).

/Applications/Private Internet Access.app/Contents/MacOS/osxruby/ruby

Thanks. I wouldn't have looked further into it without your post.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 30 of 35
    ednlednl Posts: 61member
    For me the old video/audio work horses: QuickTime Player 7, MPEG Streamclip, VideoSpec, XLD. Of those, I think only XLD is still in active development. And Google Earth Pro, TextWrangler, Toast 9, all sorts of Adobe/Creative Cloud managers/updaters, Microsoft update/report agents.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ednl said:
    For me the old video/audio work horses: QuickTime Player 7, MPEG Streamclip, VideoSpec, XLD. Of those, I think only XLD is still in active development. And Google Earth Pro, TextWrangler, Toast 9, all sorts of Adobe/Creative Cloud managers/updaters, Microsoft update/report agents.
    Same here not to mention Steam for heaven's sake!
  • Reply 32 of 35
    MS Office 2016 is still all 32 bit

• Reply 33 of 35
    MS Office 2016 is still all 32 bit
    I thought that was resolved nearly 1.5 years ago.

• Reply 34 of 35
    Just to clear, this is will be for all apps running on macOS, not just Mac App Store apps, right?
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Soli said:
    Just to clear, this is will be for all apps running on macOS, not just Mac App Store apps, right?
    Yes.
    Soli