'Modern' iPad Pro with Face ID teased in Apple's iOS 11.3 code

Posted:
in iPad
Digging within the first beta of iOS 11.3 has discovered evidence that a new iPad with Face ID and thinner bezels could be in the works, supporting rumors that such as device is on tap for launch later this year.

Felipe Esposito of iHelp took to Twitter to reveal that multiple strings of code within iOS 11.3 make mention of a so-called "Modern" iPad.

Notably, iOS 11 pre-release betas referenced a "Modern" iPhone before the iPhone X was officially unveiled. Software sleuths have seen the mention of a "Modern" iPad as evidence that an iPad Pro with Face ID, just like the iPhone X, could be around the corner.

To date, multiple rumors have already claimed that a 2018 iPad Pro update will ditch Touch ID for Face ID, just like the iPhone X before it. However, it's unlikely that a new iPad Pro with Face ID would have a bezel-free design like the iPhone X, as that utilizes a costly OLED display that would be too pricey for a 10-plus-inch iPad panel.

Switching to Face ID would, however, allow for Apple to greatly reduce the "forehead" and "chin" of the iPad Pro, as there would no longer be a need for the home button with Touch ID sensor. And thinner bezels would allow for reduced size and weight, particularly on the 12.9-inch model, while also housing the Face ID sensor without the need for a "camera notch" like is found on the iPhone X.

It's expected that 2018 iPad Pro models with Face ID will be powered by an 8-core "A11X" processor, enhancing the A11 Bionic CPU found in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    I’ve seen some really great sales on 2017 iPads and the 10.5 inch Pros but I’m going to hold out a bit longer to see if we get this “modern” iPad this year. Still looking to make my first iPad purchase for myself (I have 5 in my household). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    I know Apple won't do multiple profiles on iPad because they considers it as a personal device, but it'd would be nice to be able to do that. My face, my app profile while my kid will have different profile and apps. I know it will impact the performance of the device and user experience but still it's nice to have.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Reading this on an iPad Pro w LTE and see no need and have no desire for Face ID and if it cannot be turned off the answer is no sale.
    It is proven to not be secure.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Glad to see that there is a confirmation in the code even though we all know this is happening.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    I'm glad that I got a new iPad Pro for Christmas. TouchId is perfect.
    I can unlock it with a stretched out arm while in bed. Just touch the right spot with the right finger. No need to look at it.

Sorry Apple, FaceID does not do it for me and I suspect that I'm not alone there.

williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 29
    I can unlock it with a stretched out arm while in bed. Just touch the right spot with the right finger. No need to look at it.

Sorry Apple, FaceID does not do it for me and I suspect that I'm not alone there.
    What exactly do you do with your iPad if you don't look toward the display?
    StrangeDayspeterhartmike1patchythepirategeorgie01fastasleepMisterKitRayz2016Nameo_king editor the grate
  • Reply 7 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    fallenjt said:
    I know Apple won't do multiple profiles on iPad because they considers it as a personal device, but it'd would be nice to be able to do that. My face, my app profile while my kid will have different profile and apps. I know it will impact the performance of the device and user experience but still it's nice to have.
    It shouldn't impact performance anymore than on any other mutiuser platform and that is to say not much.   What it would impact though is SSD space.   Right now the way iOS works you would need an app collection for each user that would have a dramatic impact on SSD space.   The problem is the way iOS stores files related to an app.

I'm not sure we will ever see Apple address this on the iOS platform.    However long term for robotics and advanced desktop operating systems I suspect Apple has no choice but to have a visual ID system that catalogs and identifies everybody you have a working relationship with.   Apples Knowledge Navigator videos though have left me with the impression that visual recognition on an iPad of multiple people if not users will likely happen at some time.

In any event I'm shocked that people don't think Face ID is coming to the iPad.   The only question in my mind is this will it be generation one or generation two of the hardware.   The one thing that is obvious (my HP ENVY does facial recognition for log in) is that we are at the very beginning of this technology.   Recent Windows updates have dramatically improved its performance and my understanding is that recent iOS updates have improved Face ID on iPhone X.   It is hard to say how quickly the tech will improve beyond current systems.    One just has to look back to cell phone cameras that where utter junk when they first came out and now they are in many ways better than silver based photography ( well at least low end consumer silver based photography).
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Reading this on an iPad Pro w LTE and see no need and have no desire for Face ID and if it cannot be turned off the answer is no sale.
    Well I can say this much it is very handy to have on a PC.   Interestingly I never even considered it when buying my last laptop.   I was looking for a laptop with a specific AMD chip, however after the last update it is a nice feature to have.    That is on a laptop, it would be even more useful on a tablet.   Imagine picking up a iPad and have it instantly recognize you, no button presses and no passwords to key in.  

As for being proven to not be secure, that is nonsense!    Any security system can be defeated, what is of concern is the effort required to defeat it.   In that regard Face ID is in fact more secure than the average log in system.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    What on earth are you talking about? It’s proven to be *more* secure than Touch ID, not less. 

But we get it, you hate apple stuff. 
    peterhartmike1macky the mackypatchythepiratefastasleepMisterKitwilliamlondonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29

My HP ENVY has a similar system to Face ID and frankly I wasn't the least be concerned about it when I purchased the machine.   However It has come a long way in the  last month and I must say it is a nice feature to have.

As for Face ID doing it for you, not many people buy hardware for one feature.   IPad is the sum of its parts and as such you buy the tablet for those parts as a whole.   Even on the ENVY, which I purchased for the AMD chip inside, the laptop is the sum of its parts.

Lets look at it this way if you go shopping for a new car, do you reject the machine that has everything you want because it has an ashtray?
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Soli said:

Use your imagination  :) :) :wink: 
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Soli said:

Use your imagination  :) :) :wink: 
    I thought the point of a video display in bed is so you don't have to use your imagination.
    patchythepiratefastasleepchiaking editor the grate
  • Reply 13 of 29
    No interest in Face ID on an iPad, but it could be interesting for the Animoji and other image and motion capture possibilities. Imagine using your iPad to basically help replace the equipment used in those very costly motion capture studios. You could create your own daily animated cartoon show!
  • Reply 14 of 29
    A verifiable list of sources that support that claim would be helpful to make your case, hunny. 
    williamlondonbshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29

You said the exact same thing when the clickwheel disappeared from the iPod. 
    mike1williamlondonking editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I love Face ID on the X. It's simple and practically invisible to the user. My one concern on the iPad would be having FaceID work equally well regardless of whether the iPad is being used vertically or horizontally. My iPad is used almost exclusively horizontally. Currently Face ID on the X doesn't work if the phone is held that way.
    bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    I wonder (hoping) if the Modern iPad Pro will have a rear camera with the capability of creating a 3D point cloud -- capable of mapping rooms, etc.

I have one of these:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/io.structure.assets/ks_video.mov

and it does a pretty good job -- accuracy within 1% at 4 meters.

It is worth noting that this iPad camera accessory uses tech created by PrimeSense which was acquired by Apple in Nov 2013.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    I wonder if Apple will introduce this Face ID equipped iPP in June. It doesn’t make sense to me that they launch the iPP with A-something-X chip and then launch the new iPhone in 3 months with A-something higher number chip that’s faster than that of the iPP introduced just a few months ago. I think Apple should introduce the iPP in Oct. after the iPhone keynote in Sep. with A-same gen-X chip. 
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Face ID is fantastic. I am loving it more than TouchID at the moment and can't wait to have it on an iPad. Needs to be on iMac, MacBook and MacBook Pro soon. Passwords are replaced with facial authentication...so slick man!
    williamlondonbshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 29
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    williamlondonbshank