Logic Pro X 10.4 update brings over 2000 new features and bug fixes to Apple's audio compo...

Posted:
in Mac Software
Apple has issued another update for Logic Pro X, adding a Smart Tempo feature to combine content regardless of original tempo, as well as a host of new Plug-Ins, more content including drummers and loops, and assorted bug fixes.

The 10.4 update to Logic Pro X, released on Thursday, features the new Smart Tempo tool as its marquee improvement. The new feature, besides just adding advanced tempo detection and mixing, allows users to record audio without using click or drag in audio to have the performance define project tempo, and allows for adding any audio file and conforming it to the project tempo.

New Plug-Ins include ChromaVerb, Space Designer, Step FX, Phat FX, a Vintage EQ collection, new Studio Strings and Studio Horns, and 18 different filter models for Retro Synth.

Added content includes roots and jazz drummers, two vintage brush kits for Drum Kit Designer, more than 800 new loops in "a variety of instruments and genres" according to Apple. and 150 cinematic presets added to the New Visions library.

New features added are the ability to undo mixer and plug-in actions, bookmarking locations in the Files Browser, and a new universal design for controlling articulations.

Logic Pro X requires macOS 10.12 or newer. The application itself requires 1.41GB of storage space, and it sells for $199.99 on the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Logic Pro for iPad Pro, please.
    SpamSandwichsphericcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 11
    roake said:

Only as an extension, please. I don't need them wasting time diverting limited engineering resources rewriting the entire code base in ARM64.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Does anyone know if this latest version supports non-destructive edits to audio files like typical audio editors? I had bought Logic Express years ago and was baffled that it only supported destructive and limited editing of audio files, and that I had to resort to Peak (now defunct) to perform actual audio file editing. I perform edits (cut and paste, etc) with sample level precision and I was never able to do that Logic Express nor the Pro version without it being about 100x more work than other audio editors (if it was even possible).

I’m not intending to complain about it, but the last I heard of Logic it didn’t support this.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 4 of 11
    roake said:
    Wouldn't that be amazing? I'd be all over that.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    georgie01 said:
    Does anyone know if this latest version supports non-destructive edits to audio files like typical audio editors? I had bought Logic Express years ago and was baffled that it only supported destructive and limited editing of audio files, and that I had to resort to Peak (now defunct) to perform actual audio file editing. I perform edits (cut and paste, etc) with sample level precision and I was never able to do that Logic Express nor the Pro version without it being about 100x more work than other audio editors (if it was even possible).

I’m not intending to complain about it, but the last I heard of Logic it didn’t support this.
    I only use Logic as a hobby, so I may not fully understand the question, but I’ve used time marker editing of live recordings for years.  Of course any midi style devise is also editable.  And cutting and pasting is accurate as you could possibly make it.  I import a lot of my own recording into Apple loops as well and never had a problem with destructive editing.  
    I hope this answers your question.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    Yes Logic X has non-destructive editing in audio regions, although I believe if you use the sample editor the changes affect the original file. 
    In the sample editor, there are options to edit the original files or backup copies. 
    edited January 2018 cornpursespheric
  • Reply 7 of 11
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    roake said:

Only as an extension, please. I don't need them wasting time diverting limited engineering resources rewriting the entire code base in ARM64.
    Nor do we need them killing the actual Mac OS version and backporting a cutdown iOS version over to Mac OS... (looking at you, iWork)
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 11
    georgie01 said:

The audio editor in Logic is intended to globally edit the audio assets of a project, not to act as a non-destructive audio editing tool. Logic reads these assets from disk as needed, so the idea of keeping them only in memory for non-destructive editing wasn't part of the design. It was never meant to be a non-destructive editor. ZIf you want different edits of a piece of audio, you might want to create copies before modifying them and/or do your editing and arranging in the arrange view (which reads the assets and plays them as arranged).

If you want a standard non-destructive audio editor for standalone audio file editing, i suggest a product designed for this purpose, such as Audition or Triumph. Or maybe something else, since Adobe's licensing is stupid and abusive and Triumph just changed owners and is kind of an odd bird for audio editing. There's also Audacity (if you can stand the GUI), Wavelab (if you want to pay a lot), DSP-Quattro (which i know nothing about), Sound Studio by Felt Tip, and possibly others... Do a search for "Mac audio editors". 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    It's kind of maddening that Apple has dropped support for El Capitan with Logic 10.4 (it's only been about three years), and it's annoying that they can't get their own requirements information correct. On the App Store it says 10.12 is the minimum, but on the Logic X product page on their website, it says 10.11.
    SpamSandwichcornchip
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Point of clarity - Space Designer is not a new plug-in, it instead received a new interface. From what I have seen, it hasn’t gained any new capabilities, nor are there any new impulse responses. 
    SpamSandwichcornchip
  • Reply 11 of 11
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    Chromaverb is really, really nice. The vintage EQs sound really good. 

But Smart Tempo. Jesus. That is just...freaking magic. This is going to be SOOOO useful. I have a dozen vintage drum machines, only some of which have a sync input. I am stoked.