How and when to preorder HomePod: The official Apple Store app is your best bet on Friday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2018
It's a mystery how high demand for Apple's HomePod will be, and it's also unknown how many units the company will produce for launch. Because of those unknowns, you'd better be ready come Friday -- and early.

Apple HomePod

Preorders start Friday in the U.S., U.K. and Australia

Apple hasn't announced a specific time for HomePod preorders on Friday, Jan. 26, but if it follows in the path of anticipated product launches before it, sales will kick off at 12:01 a.m. Pacific, 3 a.m. Eastern.

To be perfectly clear: That's just a guess! Don't blame us if you wake up at 3 a.m. and you can't buy it yet.

Preorders will start in the U.S., the U.K., and Australia (though technically you'll be waiting until Saturday for Australian preorders). If you're in France and Germany, you'll be waiting until the spring. Still no word on a Canadian launch.

Stick to the Apple Store app on your iPhone or iPad

Apple will also make the HomePod available through select resellers, such as Best Buy in the U.S. But it's unclear if and when those resellers will begin taking preorders, or even how many units will be available on the launch day of Feb. 9.

The only thing we know for sure is that Apple itself will begin taking preorders on its website and through the Apple Store app

The official Apple Store app makes it quick an easy to access the company's online storefront. For the last few major product launches, including the iPhone X, the Apple Store app has proven itself as the most stable and responsive method for placing your order.

Going through the Apple Store app can shave minutes off of the preorder process -- precious time that could mean the difference between getting your HomePod on launch day or when the second batch of shipments arrive days or even weeks later.

How to prepare

After downloading the Apple Store app, update your Apple ID information by opening Settings, then selecting iTunes and App Store > Apple ID > View Apple ID. The Apple Store app automatically pulls Apple ID login credentials from system settings

While there, double-check that your Payment & Shipping information is correct.

It should also be noted that Apple Pay is a preferable payment option, so your best bet may be to add a card in the Wallet app.

Unfortunately, at the moment, you can't view or favorite the HomePod to expedite checkout when sales begin. That means you'll likely be force closing and reopening the app after midnight pacific to see if that elusive "buy" link has appeared on the store.

Alternative retailers that will begin selling Feb. 9

In the U.S., Best Buy is the only third-party retail partner for HomePod.

In the U.K., it will be available through Argos, Dixons, Carphone, John Lewis, Shop Direct, EE, and Apple Premium Resellers.

In Australia, HomePod will be sold through The Good Guys, Harvey Norman, JB Hi-Fi, Myer, and Telstra.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Let's sell this baby out!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I was disappointed that my plans for HomePod at Christmas didn't come to pass. But glad that what looked like it was going to be April (if "early 201x" had its usual meaning in Apple-speak) could be January. And happiest that we'll be able to end our unhappy experiment with Google Home (it is only good for general web searching - but I will say it is very good at that).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I'll be in bed at 11:01 PM CST, so I'll try to order at 5:30 AM CST when I wake up.

I'm not quite sure why I'm buying it other than to satisfy my curiosity about how it sounds. It would have to co-exist with my Amazon Echos since the HomePod can't control my light bulbs or thermostat or add items to my shopping list or let me order from Amazon or notify me when my packages arrive. $349 is also way too expensive to put one in every room as I have with the Echo.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Geez... Not another must own. While I've been buying Apple gear since the 90s, never have I binged like this past year (iMac, iPadPro, iPhoneX, Series 3 Cellular). 

Lady says I'm responsible for 1 point of Apple stock price.
    jahbladezroger73AirunJaewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    robjnrobjn Posts: 282member
    Last time the website worked better for many people than the app. There’s no way of knowing whether the website or the app will be active first and it might vary depending on your location.

It’s best to have both the website and the app side by side.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    It’s 7.05 AM in the UK. Can’t order yet.
    peterhart
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Its 12:05 am PST and the store hasn’t gone down in its usual pre launch manner. This thing won’t be happening till morning I’m guessing.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    8:12 in UK.  ....nothing.   Apple should be consistent with this type of thing.  The store hasn’t even gone down yet.  Preorder delay or keeping us on our toes...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Anybody get to order one?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Folio said:
    Geez... Not another must own. While I've been buying Apple gear since the 90s, never have I binged like this past year (iMac, iPadPro, iPhoneX, Series 3 Cellular). 

Lady says I'm responsible for 1 point of Apple stock price.
    As a stockholder, I thank you  ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I've been trying every half hour or so since ~4:30 am EST and the blue Buy button remains MIA. Clearly sales didn't open up at midnight PST as all the Apple-related websites were claiming.
    peterhartAirunJaezroger73
  • Reply 12 of 14
    i was able to pre-order via website. Hint: you just need to figure out the url pattern, so look up iPhone-x pattern and boom the add to cart button will show up.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Buy button now available
  • Reply 14 of 14
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Yep, ordered. The blue button is "Order" which I guess makes sense since it's a pre-order. Maybe will change to "Buy" on the 9th.