HomePod preorders begin via Apple, smart speaker arrives Feb. 9

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2018
Apple on Friday morning began accepting preorders for HomePod, the company's entrance into the smart speaker space with audiophile-focused premium sound. The $349 accessory will ship to users in two weeks, on Feb. 9.

Preorders began first via the official Apple Store app around 5:30 a.m. Pacific, 8:30 a.m. Eastern. That was a bit later than usual for new product launches -- for example, last fall, devices like the iPhone X, iPhone 8 and Apple Watch Series 3 all saw sales kick off at 12:01 a.m. Pacific, 3:01 a.m. Eastern.

While preorders were being accepted via the Apple Store app, Apple's website did not immediately begin accepting orders.

Priced at $349, the HomePod is positioned as a high-end audio device for superior music streaming. That's different from cheaper competitors like the Amazon Echo and Google Home, which focus on voice-driven personal assistants.

Apple's offering does, however, include integration with its own assistant, Siri. It also connects to Apple Music, and supports AirPlay for other third-party music services.

At launch, the HomePod is available in the U.S., U.K. and Australia. In the U.S., it will also be sold through Best Buy, while other retailers will offer it internationally.

The HomePod is powered by an Apple A8 chip featuring realtime acoustic modeling, audio beam-forming, and multi-channel echo cancelation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    Just ordered mine on the Apple store app. It says it's arriving on Feb. 9.
    zroger73
  • Reply 2 of 80
    Ordered a Space Gray via Apple.com with a delivery date of February 9.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 3 of 80
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    What bothers me is that Apple is using an “A8” chip that’s two generations old. I hate paying premium prices for “old” technologies. 
  • Reply 4 of 80
    Scot1 said:
    What bothers me is that Apple is using an “A8” chip that’s two generations old. I hate paying premium prices for “old” technologies. 
    Then simply don't buy it.  Wait forever without the joy of something because a better one will be coming along.
    zroger73tmaymike1JWSCfastasleepjony0
  • Reply 5 of 80
    Placed my order!
  • Reply 6 of 80
    Yesss! Pickup at my local store on 2/09! 
  • Reply 7 of 80
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Ordered. Space Gray. 9 Feb. Ref processor chip complaint above, I'm making the assumption the A8 has enough power to run things properly, including the enhancements Apple has in the pipeline (stereo with two speakers, different music on different HomePods, Apple TV interface--control + sound, etc.

My biggest hope is that this isn't a doorstop in 18 months like the iPod Hi-Fi unit. That was one of Apple's big flops, and an expensive one. 
  • Reply 8 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    haywood said:
    Just ordered mine on the Apple store app. It says it's arriving on Feb. 9.
    Same here ... Christmas 2 ;)
    foregoneconclusion
  • Reply 9 of 80
    Where are the reviews?
  • Reply 10 of 80
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Scot1 said:

LOL Seriously?!

As it's used in this device, it's probably extremely underutilized. Hell, an A7 would've been able to handle the workload, but it's no longer being produced. I'd be extremely surprised if there wasn't a custom Apple audio processor (DSP) that handles all the audio "magic".
    edited January 2018 zroger73StrangeDays2old4fun
  • Reply 11 of 80
    Scot1 said:

You aren't paying a premium price for old technology, you are paying a discounted price for old technology. If it had the newer chips you would probably be paying more.

Plus, it's a sure bet that there would be absolutely no perceptible difference in sound. All this thing does is play music (and, of course, do digital processing on said music), it doesn't need a bunch of horsepower.

Processors aren't like wood that rots over time. If it was good enough to power an iPhone a year ago, it's more than powerful enough to power a speaker

edited January 2018 zroger73StrangeDaysdouglas baileyfastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 80
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Where are the reviews?
    I think everyone is just recycling the reviews published after Apple's WWDC keynote when the journalists were only allowed to look at the prototypes. They played music but Siri wasn't integrated yet. 
  • Reply 13 of 80
    Purchased at 8:30 am EST. Space Grey. Delivery 2/9
  • Reply 14 of 80
    Scot1 said:
    Why would a speaker need the latest chip? I don’t think I’ve even heard or know of any speakers that uses a chip used to power a smartphone or what is essentially a computer. If anything that’s what’s impressive about the HomePod.
    zroger73StrangeDaysSolirare commentpatchythepiratefastasleeppropod
  • Reply 15 of 80
    Wanted the white Home Pod but as I was deciding about ordering last night I saw my two young children with spaghetti sauce all over them. So..didn’t want to risk it and had to go with space gray. 

I may may get a second one when they activate stereo and airplay 2 functionality..
    edited January 2018 oneof52
  • Reply 16 of 80
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Where are the reviews?

They'll start coming out today. Here's two...

Digital Trends - Apple's HomePod delivers on brilliant sound, but Siri still has room to grow
    Refinery29 - One Hour With Apple's New HomePod
    Medium - Up close with Apple HomePod, Siri's expensive new Home
    edited January 2018 bluefire1patchythepirate
  • Reply 17 of 80
    Scot1 said:
    The TI-84 Plus graphing calculator (which is still sold) uses a Zilog Z80 microprocessor that was introduced in 1976.

Some of today's most expensive automobiles in the six and seven-digit price range use powertrain control modules containing microprocessors that date back almost a decade or more, such as the ARM Cortex M4.

I'm confident that the A8 processor chosen by Apple for this application is more than adequate for a "smart speaker".
    StrangeDaysbrucemcRayz2016
  • Reply 18 of 80
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Scot1 said:
    can you say why you feel this processor is ill equipped to perform its job?

cars and appliances are filled with older generation chips and components because they do the job and faster isn’t needed. until we know more i don’t know why this shouldn’t be treated as another appliance.
    edited January 2018 zroger73
  • Reply 19 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mjtomlin said:
    Where are the reviews?

They'll start coming out today. Here's two...

Digital Trends - Apple's HomePod delivers on brilliant sound, but Siri still has room to grow
    Refinery29 - One Hour With Apple's New HomePod

Oddly the time allowed with the unit was limited (to an hour?) and the reviews are not at all detailed, just describes the Home Pod in broad strokes. IMO unusual for a new Apple release where there's typically a plethora of detailed reviews on sites like Wired & ArsTechnica un-embargoed just before the device goes on sale. 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 20 of 80
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Where are the reviews?
    Apple said no review units this week. Seems like they did a few hands-on opportunities for select publications, but in controlled environments, and at least one site has called that a "review."
    JWSC