HomePod preorders begin via Apple, smart speaker arrives Feb. 9

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Scot1 said:
    What bothers me is that Apple is using an “A8” chip that’s two generations old. I hate paying premium prices for “old” technologies. 
    Wait, what?! What the fuck does the A8 chip have to do with the total price of the device.

But, hey, if you really want to look at it that way, the iPhone 6s series that came with the A8 chip starts at $449 and goes up to $649. That's $100–300 more than the HomePod… and can you guess which device has better speakers and microphones?
    techprod1gy
  • Reply 22 of 80

zroger73 said:
    Scot1 said:
    What bothers me is that Apple is using an “A8” chip that’s two generations old. I hate paying premium prices for “old” technologies. 
    The TI-84 Plus graphing calculator (which is still sold) uses a Zilog Z80 microprocessor that was introduced in 1976.
    I was just talking about this the other day. Those devices have barely changed and yet the prices seem so high.
    zroger73
  • Reply 23 of 80
    Ordered 2 February 9th Delivery
  • Reply 24 of 80
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Scot1 said:
    If it's enough horsepower for this product, who cares?!
    zroger73auxioStrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 80
    mjtomlin said:
    Where are the reviews?

They'll start coming out today. Here's two...

Digital Trends - Apple's HomePod delivers on brilliant sound, but Siri still has room to grow
    Refinery29 - One Hour With Apple's New HomePod

Those are more like first looks. I guess better than nothing.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    gatorguy said:
    mjtomlin said:
    Where are the reviews?

Digital Trends - Apple's HomePod delivers on brilliant sound, but Siri still has room to grow

Oddly the time allowed with the unit was limited (to an hour?) and the reviews are not at all detailed, just describes the Home Pod in broad strokes. IMO unusual for a new Apple release where there's typically a plethora of detailed reviews on sites like Wired & ArsTechnica un-embargoed just before the device goes on sale. 
    Makes me wonder how confident Apple is in this product considering the rollout. 
  • Reply 27 of 80
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    felix01 said:

My biggest hope is that this isn't a doorstop in 18 months like the iPod Hi-Fi unit. That was one of Apple's big flops, and an expensive one. 
    How was the HiFi a doorstop? It was a speaker. If it worked and still works and you still enjoy listening to it, what difference does it make if Apple stopped making it after 18 months? It even had an aux-in so it wasn't even obsoleted when Apple replaced the 30-pin with Lightning.
    ihatescreennamesStrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 80
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    gatorguy said:
    mjtomlin said:
    Where are the reviews?

Oddly the time allowed with the unit was limited (to an hour?) and the reviews are not at all detailed, just describes the Home Pod in broad strokes. IMO unusual for a new Apple release where there's typically a plethora of detailed reviews on sites like Wired & ArsTechnica un-embargoed just before the device goes on sale. 
    I wouldn't sweat it. Apple took a similar approach with the iPhone X, letting some websites and YouTubers get controlled hands-on time with representatives watching over their shoulder. The product doesn't launch for two weeks, they are probably just spacing out their media strategy to remain in the news cycle.
    Solidouglas baileyRayz2016
  • Reply 29 of 80
    mike1 said:
    felix01 said:

My biggest hope is that this isn't a doorstop in 18 months like the iPod Hi-Fi unit. That was one of Apple's big flops, and an expensive one. 
    How was the HiFi a doorstop? It was a speaker. If it worked and still works and you still enjoy listening to it, what difference does it make if Apple stopped making it after 18 months? It even had an aux-in so it wasn't even obsoleted when Apple replaced the 30-pin with Lightning.
    A friend of mine still uses his on a daily basis and it sounds great. He loves the iPod HiFi. So, yeah, it’s discontinuation didn’t make his unit no longer work. That’s just an odd comment. 
    rare commentStrangeDaysJWSCRayz2016
  • Reply 30 of 80
    I took the plunge at 7am PT and it'll still be available 09 Feb. If it doesn't sound better than my current speaker setup or if Siri is so bad at commands that I think they're still a long way to making it as good as Alexa then I'll return, but it's going to get a shot in the living room, along with iOS and tvOS betas to see about making the most of the experience.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Scot1 said:
    Why does that bother you? Its a speaker! It doesn't have a Retina display. It can only do certain things. Its not a mobile device. Please explain to me why it needs something better? Why does paying what you call premium prices need to result in having the latest and greatest technology inside it when its not necessary. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    nhughes said:
    gatorguy said:
    mjtomlin said:
    Where are the reviews?

I wouldn't sweat it. Apple took a similar approach with the iPhone X, letting some websites and YouTubers get controlled hands-on time with representatives watching over their shoulder. The product doesn't launch for two weeks, they are probably just spacing out their media strategy to remain in the news cycle.
    Neil, I didn't pay attention the the X review timing but you're saying they didn't supply review units to anyone before the pre-orders began? Now that I've gone back to look the first REAL in-depth X reviews didn't happen until a couple days after pre-orders began. So in-depth reviews of the Home Pod should probably start hitting the main sites next week. Thanks!
  • Reply 33 of 80
    The Digital Trends hands-on is very complimentary to the sound quality. 
  • Reply 34 of 80
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    gatorguy said:
    nhughes said:
    gatorguy said:
    mjtomlin said:
    Where are the reviews?

Neil, I didn't pay attention the the X review timing but you're saying they didn't supply review units to anyone before the pre-orders began? Now that I've gone back to look the first REAL in-depth X reviews didn't happen until a couple days after pre-orders began. So in-depth reviews of the Home Pod should probably start hitting the main sites next week. Thanks!
    Yes, reviews of the iPhone X (and 8) didn't hit until after preorders began. That's normal practice for Apple. For example, iPhone 8 preorders began Sept. 15, but review embargo did not lift until the next week, on Sept. 19.

Also worth noting that the iPhone 8 officially launched on Sept. 22, just 7 days after preorders began. And the reviews arrived three days before launch. With HomePod, there is a two-week window. So we may not see review embargoes lift until Feb. 6-7-ish.

(I haven't been asked to sign an embargo, so I'm not withholding any inside info, just speculating.)
  • Reply 35 of 80
    mike1 said:
    felix01 said:

They even sell a bluetooth adapter that plugs into the 30-pin port. Only $20 and you can stream from any BT-enabled device!

I am actually considering a used HiFi on eBay; while it's no HomePod, I'm just looking for nice sound around the house. This 2006 review from Stereophile is actually pretty positive on the sound quality: https://goo.gl/msUi1d
    StrangeDaysJWSC
  • Reply 36 of 80
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    I may may get a second one when they activate stereo and airplay 2 functionality..
    Same here.

• Reply 37 of 80
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    In 2 years if Apple does decide to upgrade chip, these will prob have a resale value of $200-$250....Considering 2 months ago I sold my Sonos 1 ($199 new and released in 2013) for $155....

So I'd be renting a Homepod for 24 months at $6.25/month 

Set my alarm last night every hour from 3am to 7am, and ordered 2 white homepods at 8:35am ET
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 38 of 80
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    gatorguy said:
    mjtomlin said:
    Where are the reviews?

Here we go again. Yes, Apple is a self-loathsome creature that is ashamed of its pitiful offering so instead of canceling it and slithering away, it's going to just release it anyway but not give out free demos to the scornful media who routinely crucifies the #1 company in the world for the chance at clicks. Cook also hates freedom. 

Very concerned. Worried. Bad feeling guys. /s
    JWSCbrucemcfastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 80
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    On verbal command, without any extra configuration nor the need for an Amazon Prime subscription, a $35 Echo Dot can stream virtually any internet radio station. That's my principal use for Echoes, with two of them used as inputs to Sonos Play 5 speakers. Until Apple adds flexible internet radio streaming to the HomePod with Siri support, I can't justify cluttering my countertops and shelves with their devices, too. I don't see Apple doing that, though, because Apple cares less about giving consumers what they want and more that free internet radio streaming competes with Apple Music subscriptions (to which I subscribe but use little and may discontinue since HomePod is so limited).  [Vague reference to Apple's echo chamber--pun intended--dropped.] One might even argue that Apple's subscription-based internet streaming is an affront to net neutrality: I already pay for broadband internet, so why do I need to pay Apple a fee to stream a puny number of internet radio stations that they control?

edited January 2018
  • Reply 40 of 80
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Scot1 said:
    Its a speaker, not a phone. Why would you need an A11 chip? Do you need to see benchmark scores on a speaker? 
    fastasleep