'iPhone SE 2' production rumored to begin soon, ship in May or June

Posted:
in iPhone
A supply chain report has seemingly validated previous rumors that Apple is working on a successor to the iPhone SE, with the device going into production in the second quarter, and shipping in May or June of 2018.

The report of a so-called "iPhone SE 2" was published by DigiTimes, alongside some alleged details of the 2018 flagship releases. The report claims that Apple is preparing an "inexpensive smartphone similar to the iPhone SE" featuring wireless charging, but not "3D sensing."

It is unclear what the venue is referring to when it says "3D sensing." The existing iPhone SE lacks 3D Touch and any follow-on may as well, but it may also be referring to the TrueDepth camera system at the core of Face ID.

Also not clear is the DigiTimes claim of the device entering mass production in the second quarter. Generally, DigiTimes uses calendar quarters when discussing when a product goes into production, which would mean that the iPhone SE successor would start production in April -- which seems unlikely with a May debut. If it has broken with its normal reporting method, and is using Apple's fiscal quarters, that could mean that the device is in production now or could start as late as March.

DigiTimes generally has accurate information from individual component manufacturers regarding delivery timetables. However, it has a poor track record on Apple's specific plans -- and the veracity of the data from the newly formed DigiTimes Research division is unknown.

Rumors about an "iPhone SE 2" started cranking up in November, with allegations that it would ship in the first half of 2018 and be manufactured by Wistron in India. More recently, reports suggested that the device would have a glass back, to facilitate Qi charging, like the iPhone 8 family and iPhone X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    In other words, the SE2 has everything you need and nothing you don’t.
    [Deleted User]kestrallkalliancesuddenly newtoncornchip
  • Reply 2 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    I'd be very surprised if this had Face ID before it was introduced in an iPhone 8/8+ replacement.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    To make it look like younger sibling of iPhone X with faceid, size has to increase slightly which is welcome news. iPhone SE2 still can stay within size for one hand usage iPhone but gives bit more screen real estate. I am looking forward 6.1" LCD iPhone X to upgrade 5 lines on my plan.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 4 of 27
    I know it's their "budget" phone, but I'd like to see a chassis update closer to the X style. A little more edge to edge screen also. Less chin and brow.

Qi charging would make me upgrade!

Oh, and please keep the rose gold....My current SE matches my 2017 MacBook! (it's important!)

Best
    edited January 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 27
    This may be a dumb question but if the majority of people have their phone in a case what’s the point of inductive wireless charging? I like my current SE shiny and without scratches - won’t have that with a case on it. I don’t care how many ions Apple claims for their glass it’s still glass and it WILL scratch, not to mention shatter
  • Reply 7 of 27
    This may be a dumb question but if the majority of people have their phone in a case what’s the point of inductive wireless charging? I like my current SE shiny and without scratches - won’t have that with a case on it. I don’t care how many ions Apple claims for their glass it’s still glass and it WILL scratch, not to mention shatter
    Inductive charging will work with many cases. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 27
    I sure hope it has the same  physical size of the current SE. My 5S is getting long in the tooth, and I need more storage space. I've been struggling with whether I should buy the current SE or roll the dice and hope the new one will be the same size. 
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    crosslad said:
    Inductive charging will work with many cases. 
    The Qi spec says that it works through a case of about 3mm. The one I've got on my X is 2.5mm thick, and it charges fine.
    crossladcornchiplolliver
  • Reply 10 of 27
    i like the size of the se, but i wish it would fall in line with the aesthetic of the current flagship iphones (8 and/or X, i mean). i would buy it in a heart beat and won’t ever look back. i’ll be okay too if it didn’t have 3d touch or faceID. for me they’re features and not necessities for a phone.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 11 of 27
    What is like to see in the SE 2 is the front facing camera from the 6s or 7, capacitive home button and A10 processor.  Everything else is perfect for my needs. In fact I have no complaints about my original SE.
    baconstang
  • Reply 12 of 27
    The iPhones 6-7 were pretty ugly compared to the SE. The 8 looks really nice though so I'm okay with them making the design more like the 8 or the X. I'd absolutely love if it they made a cheap replacement for the SE and then a high end iPhone X style device, but smaller. I don't need a giant sized phone and much prefer the size of the SE. I'm torn as to whether i'll buy the update if it only comes with the A10 as an option. I'd like to update since my SE is almost 2 years old (got it on launch day) and I don't love the idea of paying toward a subsidy balance that's already paid off. At the same time I honestly don't spend that much time on my iPhone these days. I spend a lot more time on my MacBook Pro. (Which is the oldest device in my lineup by far) Since I don't really game on my iPhone or anything like that anymore, (ironically now that iPhones are more powerful than ever, all the games are free to play garbage) so an A10 would probably be more powerful than I really need. Still, I'd really like to get the best processor available at the time. Given that we've barely heard anything about new iPad rumours. I'm wondering if they might be planning on doing a late summer overhaul of the iPad moving it before the iPhone, and using A12 Processors in it and the new iPhones that'll launch. (Probably not, but one could dream of being able to buy an iPad an iPhone that are equally powerful within months of each other without having either being outdated soon after. I really liked knowing that both my SE and my 9.7 inch Pro were in the same processor generation).
  • Reply 13 of 27
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    No cases for me. Ever. iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s. 

Love my scratches!
    fastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Production possibly starting in April for a May debut seems exactly what should be expected. It’s a relatively low sales volume phone and it shouldn’t take more than 4-5 weeks to build launch inventory, even while co-existing with all the other models being assembled. 

Apple’s iPhone assembly lines are busiest in approx the July/August through February/March timeframe, given the front loaded nature of FY1H sales. It seems Apple is using SE volume to smooth factory output, FY3Q (April-June) is the quarter with the lowest sales and the perfect time to ramp production and introduce a new model. 
  • Reply 15 of 27
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    This will be great - we need to replace my mother’s old iPhone 5c and she doesn’t need power, just a solid, easy to use phone and an ‘iPhone SE2’ would be perfect for her.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    My iPhone 5S is about to turn 4 years old - it is my first smartphone ever. I really really want to wait for an SE 2 as a replacement instead of buying the current SE, so I'm hoping these rumors are true. March/April would be even better! I'm really only hoping for 3D Touch, ApplePay, A10, 256GB and better antenna - the size and materials of the current SE are fine IMO. If I get all those things in the same package, I feel I will be good to go for 4 more years :-)
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Count me in on the SE2 train to push me off my 5s.  It’s the perfect form factor so hope they don’t depart too far.   I go sans case, as the phone is to nice to bury.  One thing I had to do is scotch tape my back.  Over time I was getting micro scrapes on my index finger from tiny abrasions where the aluminum had scratched slightly...
  • Reply 18 of 27
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I slightly worried Apple may push the SE2 into 4.7" Screen Size.

If Apple is upping the Max Screen Size, it may likely lift its bottom screen size as well.
    cornchip
  • Reply 19 of 27
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    designr said:
    I personally like the design of the 5/5S/SE over the design of the 6/7/8 or X.
    I love, love, LOVE my 4s and 5s' design. To me, they're the best looking form-factors ever. The X is great and very possibly my next phone, but I'm really tempted by an upgraded SE.

One minor nit— the 5s' polished stainless band is much more attractive than the matte version on the SE.

I've carried my 4s and 5s caseless but used screen and back shields on both. I'd do the same for the SE; the X would probably get a real case.
    cornchip
  • Reply 20 of 27
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    ksec said:
    I slightly worried Apple may push the SE2 into 4.7" Screen Size.

If Apple is upping the Max Screen Size, it may likely lift its bottom screen size as well.
    Would be a shame to lose the 4in option, but that does seem to be the direction the market is going..