Apple issues first tvOS 11.3 beta to public testers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Following the release of the first tvOS 11.3 beta to developers on Wednesday, Apple a day later issued a similar beta build of the streaming device operating system to public beta program members for testing.

The first tvOS 11.3 beta is restricted to devices capable of running tvOS, which means fourth-generation Apple TV and Apple TV 4K units.

As noted in release notes disseminated with the developer build yesterday, tvOS 11.3 incorporates rating-based content filtering, support for automatic frame rates on fourth-generation Apple TV devices and automated AirPlay session switching, among other enhancements.

Users interested in testing out the latest tvOS public beta must navigate to the Settings app and switch Get Public Beta Updates to the "on" position. Apple TV will automatically download the beta version before signaling a user to install.

Along with the improvements listed above, tvOS 11.3 beta offers limited support for Apple's AirPlay 2 protocol. In its current form, the new wireless protocol allows users to stream music and other audio content from a device running iOS 11.3 beta to multiple Apple TV units.

As of tvOS 11.3 beta, testers need to set up their Apple TV units in the Home app, which subsequently grants playback functionality from an iPhone or iPad.

More robust AirPlay 2 support, including track controls, are expected to see implementation in a future version of iOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    What I want to do, and have heard no mention of this so presume is not possible, is send audio from my AppleTV to the HomePod. To a pair of HomePods in fact. (I do know that you can't run HomePods in stereo yet.)

Scot1lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 5
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    What I want to do, and have heard no mention of this so presume is not possible, is send audio from my AppleTV to the HomePod. To a pair of HomePods in fact. (I do know that you can't run HomePods in stereo yet.)

That may show up automatically when you get a HomePod. I have multiple AppleTVs in my house and if you go to Settings > Audio, I see options to set the audio output to the tv, stereo, or the other AppleTVs. I think that HomePod would be listed as an option there when you install a HomePod on your local network. As dual HomePods, one would probably have to be set as the master in the setup for any stereo setting. Then the master would decide what part of the sound goes out it and what part goes out to the slave speaker. So from the AppleTV, you would use the same settings option and select the master HomePod as the target.

All this is speculation as I don't have a HomePod... yet.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aricbaricb Posts: 27member
    "automated AirPlay session switching", do you have a description for us mere mortals on what this is?
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Anyone noticed fast battery drain as I did on my iPhone SE 128 GB?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    riverko said:
    Anyone noticed fast battery drain as I did on my iPhone SE 128 GB?

Wow, that has to be one of the worst troll fails I've seen. You do realise the AppleTV doesn't have a battery right?