Supply chain chatter suggests Apple considering two OLED, two LCD iPhone models for fall 2...

Posted:
in iPhone
A new report from the Chinese supply chain suggests that Apple is continuing to evaluate multiple sizes for the fall 2018 releases, with the latest claim saying that the the company is evaluating a 5.7-inch and 6-inch LCD device, plus both a 6-inch and 6.4-inch OLED iPhone.

The data gleaned on Friday from the supply chain by DigiTimes' research arm claims that Apple is leaning towards the two LCD devices, and a large-format 6.4-inch OLED one. It isn't clear where DigiTimes sourced their data, and it lies in contrast to multiple reports from KGI Securities Ming-Chi Kuo.

Also noted in the latest report is support for wireless charging and "3D sensing functionalities" across the entire line. It isn't clear what the venue is talking about with "3D sensing," be it the TrueDepth camera, 3D Touch, or some other technology.

DigiTimes generally has accurate information from individual component manufacturers regarding delivery timetables. However, it has a poor track record on Apple's specific plans -- and the veracity of the data from the newly formed DigiTimes Research division is unknown.

The venue has given itself an out, should the information prove to be inaccurate. It notes that "Apple has not yet made the final decision so there is still a chance that the vendor may come up with another combination."

Other rumors suggest that Apple is looking to produce a 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED iPhone for the fall of 2018, with a low-cost 6.1-inch LCD model eschewing the dual-lens camera in the iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X.

KGI Research predictions for the fall of 2018
KGI Research predictions for the fall of 2018

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Hmmmm...well from what I'm seeing, the larger screens are selling better than Apple ever expected and the OLED screens are more difficult to produce in large quantities, not to mention, expensive.

The iPhone 8 looks a little dated to me, not being edge to edge. So it makes sense to me. Two sizes of X's with OLED and two sizes of iPhone 9's with everything but the OLED screen.

Apple always does a good job of tightening up their product line...eventually. (Look at the iPad offerings. Very strong.) And they do a good job in the products getting the latest feature sets. Again, eventually.

Seems simple enough.

Best.

P.S. Doubt they will call it the Xs ('excess')
    edited January 2018 flashfan207
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Including the SE2 that’s 5 new phones this year, hmmmmm.
    h2p
  • Reply 3 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If you think deep, does make sense. Rumored for sometime for 2018 are OLED 5.8" updated and new 6.5". Now, LCD iPhone 8S and 8S Plus replacement is LCD 5.7" and 6.0" screen faceid but fits within(close to) current iPhone 8's 4.7" and 5.5" screen size frame. Removing home-button gives extra screen real estate. This could be end of Home-button on flagship iphones. Lonely star with home button will be iPhone SE2 and current iPhone 7, 8/Plus still supported for couple of years.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 4 of 12

Jony wants two pieces of black glass 'glued' together with no ports and no buttons, no screws. The future. :)
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I.m.o. Apple iOS 2018 lineup will be: 
    • iPhone Xs (OLED, Face ID, inductive charging);
    • iPhone Xs plus (OLED, Face ID, inductive charging);
    • iPhone 8s (LCD, Face ID, inductive charging);
    • iPhone 8s plus (LCD, Face ID, inductive charging);
    • iPhone SEs (entry point, smaller LCD, Touch ID, inductive charging, Made in India). 

I expect that such new iPhone models are all likely to deploy hardware-patched (updated versions of existing) A CPUs or variations of a brand new A12 CPU to cater for the 3 most serious security issues that impacted Apple since last summer, hard to be resolved by software-only patches:
    • the Security Enclave Processor (SEP) hack by xerub;
    • the Meltdown vulnerability;
    • the Spectre vulnerability. 

I also expect that the recently released Home Pod is already deploying a hardware-patched A CPU catering for the same safety issues (it could be the reason for its delay). 
    If this trend is confirmed, all new iPad's and the forthcoming iPod Touch 7 will soon follow the same path. 

Apple had enough time since summer 2017 to work on such hardware patches, and with a radical CPUs upgrade of this kind it will finally be equipped to mitigate further litigation in 2018 while sending a refreshed security/privacy marketing message.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dinoone said:
    Consistently with this appleinsider article, i.m.o. Apple iOS 2018 lineup will be: 
    • iPhone SEs (entry point, smaller LCD, Touch ID, inductive charging, Made in India). 

The 7 and the 8 are both selling well, so I would expect to see something in that same overall size with an LCD screen too.  I also think with the major redesign to a small-bezel screen that Apple will ratchet the numbering scheme up to the 9.  I'm thinking SE, 9, 9 Plus, and Xs.  If any model is on the chopping block I think it would be the Xs Plus since it would very likely start at $1,150 or $1,200 unless it turns out the X is selling extremely well into the second quarter.  Maybe they would consider doing a 6.5" AMOLED phone as the only X model and price it at $1,000.  That would probably increase demand for the luxury model quite a bit.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 7 of 12
    tzm41tzm41 Posts: 95member
    dinoone said:

I expect that such new iPhone models are all likely to deploy hardware-patched (updated versions of existing) A CPUs or variations of a brand new A12 CPU to cater for the 3 most serious security issues that impacted Apple since last summer, hard to be resolved by software-only patches:

I also expect that the recently released Home Pod is already deploying a hardware-patched A CPU catering for the same safety issues (it could be the reason for its delay). 
    If this trend is confirmed, all new iPad's and the forthcoming iPod Touch 7 will soon follow the same path. 

Apple had enough time since summer 2017 to work on such hardware patches, and with a radical CPUs upgrade of this kind it will finally be equipped to mitigate further litigation in 2018 while sending a refreshed security/privacy marketing message.
    We will get an upgraded iPod Touch?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    No and you should stop asking about it
  • Reply 9 of 12
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    78Bandit said:
    dinoone said:
    Consistently with this appleinsider article, i.m.o. Apple iOS 2018 lineup will be: 

The 7 and the 8 are both selling well, so I would expect to see something in that same overall size with an LCD screen too.  I also think with the major redesign to a small-bezel screen that Apple will ratchet the numbering scheme up to the 9.  I'm thinking SE, 9, 9 Plus, and Xs.  If any model is on the chopping block I think it would be the Xs Plus since it would very likely start at $1,150 or $1,200 unless it turns out the X is selling extremely well into the second quarter.  Maybe they would consider doing a 6.5" AMOLED phone as the only X model and price it at $1,000.  That would probably increase demand for the luxury model quite a bit.
    "The 7 and the 8 are both selling well, so I would expect to see something in that same overall size with an LCD screen too. "

That's a good point.  Just to expand on dinoone's prediction, I think we see the following line-up

Edit: 

$999 - iPhone X 6.5"
    $899 - iPhone X 5.8" (updated)
    $749 - iPhone 9 6.1" (LCD / FaceID)
    $649 - iPhone 8 Plus 5.5"
    $549 - iPhone 8 4.7"
    $449 - iPhone 7 4.7"
    $349 - iPhone SE 2
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 10 of 12
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    dinoone said:

I beg the difference:
    1. 6.5" iPhone X+ at $999
    2. Current iPhone X at $849 (no refresh)
    3. New LCD iPhone (9) in new iPhone X form factor at $749-$799.
    4. iPhone SE2 in new form factor at $399-$499?
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 11 of 12
    is there chatter about ipod touch though?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    First of all I think it's problematic for app developers that they're making so many different screen sizes. Even with the current Plus size developers are still struggling to make appropriate updates, such as the Emoji keyboard obscuring the text input field in many apps etc.
    If they were to create a new screen size for the future models with the Face ID sensor, I think to make sure that you can fill the screen outside of the notch with 16:9 content would be a winner for the video experience on future notch iPhones. The current iPhone X widescreen is definitely not designed with 16:9 content in mind. I really like the overall format of the X, but I don't like either cropped or side boxed video.