iPhone X doomsayers lack basic reading comprehension skills (or they're purposefully disho...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    What was the point of this article? AI: I like your site, I use your app often, but I’m “just not that into you” ...not enough for me to want to read articles about how pretty and wonderful you are. Stick to the facts, not the sympathy requests. And the fact remains that the iPhone X is underselling. Doomed for failure? No, but too expensive and too ugly? Consumer spending is saying “yes”. There’s your story, sans pity.
    What facts are those? Who said it’s underselling? It may be too expensive for you, but it wasn’t meant for everyone. That’s why the 8 is there. That has always been the case. 

And it’s one damn pretty phone. 
  • Reply 42 of 53
    georgie01 said:
    aricb said:
    I didn't read any of the doomsayer reports on other sites, but i'm willing to bet they are layered in "could be", "possible", "likely", "maybe", and other words liars regularly use. Fox news has used this journalistic loophole to its maximum potential by stating a two minute article and finishing it with "maybe" as the last word.
    The crazy thing to me is that we all see news outlets pull this kind of thing about Apple but then assume they don’t regarding other things that we agree with. As if it’s only Fox News who does the ‘fake news’ thing ... right! If anything, with the media frothing at the mouth about our current administration Fox News has been transformed into a news agency of relatively integrity because of falling standards everywhere.
    Hmm. Yeah no. 
  • Reply 43 of 53

avon b7 said:
    asdasd said:
    Hmm. I expected this to be a DED article. 
    Nope. Just another annoyed AI staffer catching crap for what other venues wrote.
    How about either providing direct quotes or links to the incorrectly reported takes by these venues? There's nothing wrong with calling out bad reporting.
    I think that is a valid observation. We can use the comments to link to some of those that we may have seen ourselves but the author should be specific on which articles or comments provoked this piece. Without the specifics it's difficult to evaluate the opinion.

For example, neither of the articles linked to by Strange Days so much as whispers Apple is doomed. In fact, both speak highly of the iPhone 8 and the Forbes one predicts possible growth for Apple running through 2018 and 2019.
    You’re ignoring the completely fabricated false news in the very headlines themselves. This is called fake news, and clickbait. Or pushing an agenda.

For deeper breakdown read the DF piece linked in the story:

https://daringfireball.net/2018/01/iphone_x_one_year
  • Reply 44 of 53
    >Mainstream media can't cover Apple the way that AppleInsider and its cohorts do.

Yes, well, this is actually a good thing because this a blog **dedicated** to promoting Apple, its products and its policies. Whatever limp-wristed complaints techie boyz have about “the mainstream media” (a pedantic phrase if there ever was one) it’s not the latter’s purpose either to extol how wonderful Apple is as a company, or to boost sales of its products. 

That’s what *you* do. This is a *blog*. You are not journalists nor have you been trained as such. And many of your readers know how to make that distinction because they do not come here for journalism. 
    blog = “web log”, typically written by a single person. AI is a news site comprised of articles, rumors, reviews, and editorials. not a blog. 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 45 of 53
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    horvatic said:
    The point of this article is that other media twisted the facts that AI wrote about to make it sound like the iPhone X was a failure. Then sensationalized it with Apple is doomed.
    Anyone with half a brain knows Apple has got 1000 times more money then in the early 90's so it is no where near the doomed category no matter how you look at it. Of course Apple stock took a hit as well with these crappy articles that other media spread there lies with. 
    It should be interesting when Apple does there quarterly report and what the sales figures really are. I know in the past these media and Analists keep looking at part orders of vendors and when they go down they assume the product is not selling well. But in fact Apple changed vendors for the parts and even Tim Cook has said in the past don't go by this because we change our sources all the time for many reasons. iPhone X is not underselling by any means, it's not ugly, so Wem you are the one people should pity. Take your sorry ass malware filled Android piece of crap and go somewhere else.
    I think too much importance is given to iPhone X performance.

I said in another thread recently that Huawei wouldn't care if it didn't have a model in the top 10 best sellers provided that the sum of total sales of its entire spread was showing good performance.

The same logic is applicable here with the addition that the X was never expected to be a massive seller in the first place.

Apple changed strategy last last year. If iPhone 6 and 7 series phones are doing well, they can easily offset any drop in iPhone X performance. Apple is developing services and what counts there isn't just the margin on the initial sale plus AppleCare, it's the potential of your user base. In that context, the iPhone X really isn't that important.

I don't know if Apple will break the phone sales down or just go with the totals but we don't have long to wait.
    edited January 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Regarding formal training -- I can only speak to Neil and I with any detail. Neil has far more college-level education than I on the topic, and has been on this beat for over a decade. 

While my degree isn't journalism, I too have formal training both in college, with an addition of more in the US military. I've been doing this particular job for six years, and following the company personally and professionally since 1986.

I don't have a good idea about Dan's, Victor's, Roger's, or Malcolm's educational background. However, Dan and Victor have been doing this for a decade, Roger for about eight years, and Malcolm has a one-week lead on me.

I think we're set on training and experience.
    gatorguynhughesmmatzmuthuk_vanalingampatchythepirate
  • Reply 47 of 53
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    I literally have a four-year degree in journalism, for better or for worse. 🙃
    muthuk_vanalingamspheric
  • Reply 48 of 53
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    2old4fun said:
    Unfortunately, AI shares some responsibility for yelling "fire" in a crowded theater; along with the other media sites that thrive on clicks. Reporting on sketchy rumors emanating from the oft-wrong Ming Kuo is simply engaging in gossip. For you to now stand on your soapbox to criticize the lazy, shoddy reporting of other media outlets is pretty hypocritical. You did no independent investigation to determine whether Ming's reporting was credible, but you were quick to seize on his rumor mongering for a headline on your site. Unfortunately, this gossiping is not as harmless as the childhood game of telephone; it had real world consequences, i.e. a loss of $7/share for aapl. In my case that translated into a $30k hit to my Apple investment. SEC regulations forbid Apple--or any other publicly traded company--from commenting during the 30-day quiet period prior to their earnings report. But unfortunately, there is no such prohibition on media sites and anal-ysts from engaging in damaging, self-serving speculation. Stick to just reporting on Apple products AI and leave the gossiping to the National Enquirer and TMZ.
    For your first post let me congratulate you on your good grammar and punctuation. But your post was completely devoid of substance. 
    Gotta love folks claiming to have nearly a million bucks worth of Apple stock (4300 shares or so) but still not understand how this stock moves.

Unless you’re a dumb shit it’s not the only thing in your portfolio so that much in one stock, while maintaining reasonable diversification, means you’re too rich to care about a $30K swing one way or the other.  If you aren’t holding and you missed a $7 swing as a buy or sell opportunity you suck.  If you are buy and hold, who the fuck cares? 
  • Reply 49 of 53
    I suspect that it's far more likely that Apple will release two additional iterations of the iPhone X (the rumored different screen sizes) that WILL include TouchID under the glass, and that will correct the glaring and stupid removal of the iconic Home Button by introducing a virtual Home Button (thus, correcting the veritable UI clusterfuck that resulted from this).

Once that happens, the original iPhone X would end up being an orphaned product, no matter how much it might be reduced in price - thus, it is far more likely that the original iPhone X receives the same TouchID /Home Button update, and will be kept in the line-up ... albeit, technically, it means that the initially released model will be discontinued.

This is most likely what will happen (especially since this will mirror what Apple has done several times in the past, when they corrected a flawed product and hadn't even changed the model number.)
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 50 of 53
    I suspect that it's far more likely that Apple will release two additional iterations of the iPhone X (the rumored different screen sizes) that WILL include TouchID under the glass, and that will correct the glaring and stupid removal of the iconic Home Button by introducing a virtual Home Button (thus, correcting the veritable UI clusterfuck that resulted from this).

Once that happens, the original iPhone X would end up being an orphaned product, no matter how much it might be reduced in price - thus, it is far more likely that the original iPhone X receives the same TouchID /Home Button update, and will be kept in the line-up ... albeit, technically, it means that the initially released model will be discontinued.

This is most likely what will happen (especially since this will mirror what Apple has done several times in the past, when they corrected a flawed product and hadn't even changed the model number.)
    If Apple DOES do as suggested above (add TouchID under glass, etc), and I suspect they will NOT... then I imagine people will use this "virtual Home Button" for only a short time before shifting over to the CURRENT iPhone X UI.  I really believe that most who speak of the iPhone X as a "flawed product", simply haven't USED one.  Yes, there is a short period of "relearning" certain commands (if THAT level of change bothers you, well, don't even CONSIDER buying a "new car"!). However, the process of "moving between" apps with the iPhone X UI (alone!) made me a believer!  And FaceID (even on this FIRST generation model) has been MUCH faster, and trouble-free than my first generation "TouchID" phone (was it the 5S?).  I've lived with my iPhone X for about 2 1/2 months now... and between my wife & I, we've had every model since the iPhone 4... and the iPhone X is the BEST, most trouble-free smartphone I've ever used.  "Flawed Product"?  I don't think so...
  • Reply 51 of 53
    How unusual: The producer of a post incorrectly echoed by a legion of lazy so-called reporters, albeit ones whose beat is Apple bashing, issuing a correction for all the bad echoing of the original piece. In the old days, the reporters who screwed up would be the ones to issue corrections, but times have changed.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    dlgR32 said:
    If Apple DOES do as suggested above (add TouchID under glass, etc), and I suspect they will NOT... then I imagine people will use this "virtual Home Button" for only a short time before shifting over to the CURRENT iPhone X UI.  I really believe that most who speak of the iPhone X as a "flawed product", simply haven't USED one.  
    So, now that we are in year-2 and Apple is experiencing decreasing sale and upgrade rates from consumers rejecting the lack of Home Button (and high prices), it may be worth revisiting this discussion.

I've had an iPhone XR for 1 month, and sent it back - I'll stick with my iPhone 7, waiting for Apple to come to their senses, and fix this. Internally, they know that their significant decrease of premium upgrades means they are in trouble. It's just a question of how they will attempt a fix.

• Reply 53 of 53
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    dlgR32 said:
    If Apple DOES do as suggested above (add TouchID under glass, etc), and I suspect they will NOT... then I imagine people will use this "virtual Home Button" for only a short time before shifting over to the CURRENT iPhone X UI.  I really believe that most who speak of the iPhone X as a "flawed product", simply haven't USED one.  
    So, now that we are in year-2 and Apple is experiencing decreasing sale and upgrade rates from consumers rejecting the lack of Home Button (and high prices), it may be worth revisiting this discussion.

I've had an iPhone XR for 1 month, and sent it back - I'll stick with my iPhone 7, waiting for Apple to come to their senses, and fix this. Internally, they know that their significant decrease of premium upgrades means they are in trouble. It's just a question of how they will attempt a fix.

I have yet to meet a single owner of an X-type phone who wasn’t convinced that this is the better way to go.
    We know that the iPhone X was the single best-selling iPhone for at least most of the time it was available (if not the entire time). 

The removal of the home button is not hurting sales.