6.1" LCD 2018 iPhone expected to account for 50% of Apple's new iPhone shipments

Posted:
in iPhone
New details on Apple's anticipated 6.1-inch LCD iPhone expected later this year were shared by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo on Sunday, who believes the handset will be a huge hit with consumers, offering capabilities of the iPhone X at a lower price point.

Kuo issued a trio of notes, copies of which were obtained by AppleInsider, offering supply chain chatter on the rumored handset. He predicts that both consumers and investors will be extremely happy with the new 6.1-inch handset, expected to hit a lower price point than the iPhone X by using an LCD display instead of OLED.

"We are positive on the shipments outlook of the 6.1" LCD iPhone, and forecast it will have a weighting of around 50% in the new models in 2H18," Kuo wrote. "Since the specs of the 6.1" LCD iPhone will not match up to those of the OLED models, we believe the supply chain investment themes for the new 6.1" LCD iPhone will more likely center around 'new entrants' and 'market share gainers,' rather than 'beneficiaries of spec upgrades ' or 'beneficiaries of ASP increase.'"

He expects the premium LCD model will feature the same camera "notch" as found on the iPhone X, accommodating the Face ID array.

And while it will have a larger screen than the 5.8-inch iPhone X, it's not expected to boast an edge-to-edge design, due to limitations of LCD display technology.

Other details in Kuo's notes include the fact that the 6.1-inch model will have a rectangular-shaped battery that will cost more than the ones used in the iPhone 8 Series, but less expensive than the iPhone X. He believes that Unimicron will be the main supplier of batteries for that model.

In terms of manufacturing, Kuo said Pegatron, Foxconn and Wistron will handle assembly, with Pegatron accounting for 60 percent of capacity.

The 6.1-inch LCD iPhone is expected to be introduced alongside a successor to the 5.8-inch iPhone X, as well as a new jumbo-sized 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus" with edge-to-edge OLED display.

Kuo has been a strong source of information on Apple's future products for years. This month, he caused a controversy by saying Apple could stop manufacturing the iPhone X and allow a new 2018 model to replace it completely, rather than continuing to sell the 2017 model at a reduced price.

The 6.1-inch LCD iPhone could help explain that strategy: By reaching a lower price point than the $999-and-up iPhone X, it could offer consumers some of the desirable features of the handset with minor trade-offs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    You write: it's not expected to boast an edge-to-edge design, due to limitations of LCD display technology.

Apparently there is next generation LCD that can go edge to edge and have rounded corners.
    doozydozencanukstormksec
  • Reply 2 of 37
    He expects the premium LCD model will feature the same camera "notch" as found on the iPhone X, accommodating the Face ID array.

And while it will have a larger screen than the 5.8-inch iPhone X, it's not expected to boast an edge-to-edge design, due to limitations of LCD display technology.
    Well... which is it: notch or bezels, because how do design an iPhone with both?
    ex: iPhone X - no bezels, therefore notch.
    RonnnieOnetmage
  • Reply 3 of 37

Well... which is it: notch or bezels, because how do design an iPhone with both?
    My guess: Bezels thinner than the notch. 
    Soli
  • Reply 4 of 37
    More and more...I'm thinking, for most people, the iPhone is indeed the PC replacement! 

It has to be why the iPad Mini sales and iPad sales stalled...

Best.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 5 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

You can definitely have both. The Essential Phone, which no one seems to find essential, has one on each end of the display, but you can also have them on the same end.

edited January 2018 doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 37
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Soli said:

You can definitely have both. The Essential Phone, which no one seems to find essential, has one on each end of the display, but you can also have them on the same end.

Well, the bottom bezel is bigger than the X notch,I expect that the top bezel would be smaller than this.

I always find those kind of "news" funny, expected? Expected by whom exactly.. Some shadowy conspiracy, supply, janitor at Apple, Cook's hairdresser?

It's guesswork based on cut and paste of previous sales and lots of blah blah.

This is the kind of thing that makes me roll my eyes.
    edited January 2018 baconstangnetmage
  • Reply 7 of 37
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:

Well, the bottom bezel is bigger than the X notch,I expect that the top bezel would be smaller than this.
    I don't know how we can have any expectations when discussing two different display technologies. I keep hearing that LCD can be folded like OLED, but at what cost and to what degree? Maybe the additional layers mean that it has needs to use a different method that can't have the parameters of the iPhone X's cutout for the notch, or not something Apple wants to do because of cost and manufacturing constraints if the LCD version is the cheaper, higher-volume device.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Obviously Ming-Chi Kuo has moles from various suppliers and contract manufacturers feeding him information.  But whether that makes him an expert then at forecasting the sales of projected, still non-existent, iPhone models, I'm hiiiiiiiighly skeptical.
    Rayz2016emig647
  • Reply 9 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Why 6.1” and not 5.8”?

Are they purposely trying to make the lineup confusing? 4”, 4.7”, 5.5”, 5.8”, 6.1”, 6.5”?

Why go away this year? If none we’ll have 6 iPhone screen sizes.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    ireland said:
    Why 6.1” and not 5.8”?

Are they purposely trying to make the lineup confusing? 4”, 4.7”, 5.5”, 5.8”, 6.1”, 6.5”?

Well, the size of the phone itself is what seemingly is dictating the size of the screen.
    That would probably NOT change.

They are in a transition period between two screen formats, so they'll be more variety now for sure.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Sincerely, I have no idea why these phablets are so popular. 

I have my SE, the Air, and I am G-to-G!

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 37
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member

Not everybody needs or wants an iPad / tablet but want a device bigger than the SE that's very mobile.  Phablets are great for those whose mobile device needs don't go beyond a smartphone and a laptop.  
  • Reply 13 of 37

Not everybody needs or wants an iPad / tablet but want a device bigger than the SE that's very mobile.  Phablets are great for those whose mobile device needs don't go beyond a smartphone and a laptop.  
    I’d leave out “laptop” there. Teens basically live on their phones.
    supadav03cbrookerdoozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 37
    foggyhill said:
    ireland said:
    Why 6.1” and not 5.8”?

Well, the size of the phone itself is what seemingly is dictating the size of the screen.

They are in a transition period between two screen formats, so they'll be more variety now for sure.
    I’m confused. Why does the tech stop them from giving it a 5.8” display?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Everything about this rumored phone is weird. Especially the removal of 3D Touch. Phones Apple sells right now are cheaper than this rumored phone and include 3D Touch.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    ireland said:
    foggyhill said:
    ireland said:
    Why 6.1” and not 5.8”?

it's because they want to fill the current form factor, with little bezel and provide the same features as they do now (which probably needs the same internal volume )

They're selling the form factor, not the screen size, the screen size depends on what size they need to get a no bezel screen and the internal to support the phone.

If it was 5.8 inch without a bezel it would be a smaller phone, the battery would be smaller, there would be less space for features inside. That's why the + model often gets the first iterations of techs before it gets squeezed smaller. Apple's phone already have the smallest internal volume, they can't really afford to lose some.

cbrookerdoozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 37
    ireland said:
    Why 6.1” and not 5.8”?

1) Clearly the size is based on maintaining the width of the class device and then increasing the aspect ratio of the display to match the equivalent footprint of the old device (at least with the iPhone X) Maybe you can see a 16:9 edge-to-edge-to-edge-to-edge device be the standard, but I think the 21:9-ish aspect ratio of the casing is looks and feels best, which is why Apple is going with it, instead of just removing the bezels from the device whilst keeping all the display dimensions the same.

2) What's confusing about it… besides that we still measure and market on a diagonal despite varying aspect ratios? Nothing they do is random, and it really shouldn't matter to the customer except to decide if they want larger or smaller.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 18 of 37

ireland said:
    foggyhill said:
    ireland said:
    Why 6.1” and not 5.8”?

What did you read that makes you think it's technically not possible to have a 5.8" display?
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Ming Chi Kuo is an idiot that gets press space BECAUSE BLOGGERS NEED SOMETHING TO PRINT. This missive is typical of the drivel he “reports”, full of inconsistencies and short on factual technological knowledge.
    williamlondonemig647
  • Reply 20 of 37
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Believe it or not, this 6.1" LCD iPhone X can be a real winner..Basically, it rides on OLED iPhone X design success but with the larger screen at an attractive price point.. Apple can make iPhone 8S and 8S Plus with top long bar..

edited January 2018 GeorgeBMac