Apple shows off first South Korea retail store ahead of grand opening on Saturday

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Wednesday posted a few photos of preparations being made at Apple Garosugil, the company's first retail outlet in South Korea that is scheduled to open its doors to customers on Saturday.

Located in the posh Gangnam area of Seoul, Apple's Garosugil store boasts a next-generation flagship design with a 25-foot glass facade, large sales floor flanked by an accessories avenue, a huge custom-built 6K TV display and Forum space for Today at Apple sessions.

"We're thrilled to open a new home for our customers in the vibrant city of Seoul and we look forward to continuing to grow in Korea," said Angela Ahrendts, Apple SVP of Retail. "Our stores are gathering places for the community where everyone is welcome to connect, learn and create."

The store's general architecture mimics other standalone Apple outlets, with high flung ceilings and a wide open product demo area. Four planters located just inside the outlet's glass walls hold large saplings that appear to be of similar variety to two large trees planted outside. The large glass facade, coupled with mirrored flora, is meant to blur the line between inside and outside, Apple says. The same design language has been applied to other recently opened stores like Apple's Chicago flagship.

Apple confirmed plans for the Seoul store a year ago when it posted hiring notices for various staff positions including potential candidates for the Apple Store Leader Program.

After a lengthy construction process, the company announced an opening date for its first South Korean store earlier this month.

Like other Apple stores, the Garosugil location will host Today at Apple Sessions starting with iPhone photography and music creation lessons. Those interested can sign up for a spot through the store's Today at Apple webpage.

The store's 140 employees will be on hand for a grand opening celebration set to kick off 10 a.m. local time on Saturday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    In South Korea, engagement rings are so passé. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Rayz2016 said:
    In South Korea, engagement rings are so passé. 

Haha! :smiley: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I love the trees in the white pots. It really warms up the stores. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Does anyone know if there are online shops that sells Apple Store furnitures?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    ksec said:
    Good question...just like with the Apple Stores, it would be a reproduction and custom made. I'm sure you could find someone who could do this if you looked around though. I can guarantee it won't be cheap though. Those tables have to cost Apple a pretty penny, even if they get a deal on them. 
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Samsung cried.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Samsung cried.
    Oh don't worry...they're already planning on an exact lookalike store next to it. Their argument will be...well you can't design a store any other way. /s
    watto_cobratallest skiljony0
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    macxpress said:
    Samsung cried.
    Oh don't worry...they're already planning on an exact lookalike store next to it. Their argument will be...well you can't design a store any other way. /s
    There would be nothing more embarrassing than having an empty Samsung store next to an Apple store packed to the rafters, on their home turf. It would be so embarrassing that Samsung would hire “shoppers to keep the numbers high, then they would be found out when someone puts up pictures and timetables proving that the same people appear to be shopping in shifts. 
    jony0
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I dunno, have you been to any of the Microsoft Stores near Redmond?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:
    Samsung cried.
    There would be nothing more embarrassing than having an empty Samsung store next to an Apple store packed to the rafters, on their home turf. It would be so embarrassing that Samsung would hire “shoppers to keep the numbers high, then they would be found out when someone puts up pictures and timetables proving that the same people appear to be shopping in shifts. 
    I dunno, have you been to any of the Microsoft Dtores around Redmond? I’ve been told some band called Crickets have a permanent show there.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Koreans deserve the best Apple store that they can get.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    macxpress said:
    ksec said:
    Good question...just like with the Apple Stores, it would be a reproduction and custom made. I'm sure you could find someone who could do this if you looked around though. I can guarantee it won't be cheap though. Those tables have to cost Apple a pretty penny, even if they get a deal on them. 
    Well the ones being used in Apple are surely expensive due to environmental issues, carbon footprint, etc.

Really I just want the same table make of (decent quality, or not scrap ) wood, same style, looks and design. It is actually quite simplistic.

The problem is most shops or furniture design seems to add little things like rounded corners there and there......