Latest supply chain rumor suggests Apple could continue to sell current iPhone X model int...

Posted:
in iPhone
Rumors from Apple suppliers are now at odds with one another, as a new report contradicts earlier claims that the current iPhone X would be completely replaced by a new model later this year. Instead, it is suggested that Apple could stick with its usual strategy of continuing to sell previous year's models.

2018 iPhone mockups by Curved.

Citing unnamed industry sources, Korean publication The Investor reported on Friday that Apple will be launching two new OLED iPhone models later this year, including a larger 6.46-inch model.

Expectations of an "iPhone X Plus" are not new. But in a new twist, the report claims the two new models will be "adding to the current iPhone X."

"The two new models come with 5.85-inch and 6.46-inch screens, along with the 5.8-inch iPhone X, the first OLED iPhone launched last year," the report reads. "With the new addition, the California-based company has also started seeking new panel and battery suppliers."

The language is noteworthy because analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities claimed a week ago that the iPhone X could be replaced entirely by new models later this year. That would be unusual for Apple, as the company typically keeps legacy models around at more affordable price points to target more customers.

In response to Kuo's prediction, it was suggested that perhaps Apple sought to maintain $999-and-up pricing for the OLED iPhone models. Keeping the 2017 edition around at a lower price point could undermine that strategy, it was thought.

But the wording in Friday's latest report would seem to suggest that the current iPhone X could remain on sale alongside new models unveiled in late 2018. In that situation, it's likely that the 2017 iPhone X would continue to be sold through 2019 and potentially beyond.

For example, Apple's current lineup continues to include the iPhone 6s, a handset that debuted in the fall of 2015. If Apple continues to sell it until new models launch in the usual September timeframe, that would mean the iPhone 6s would remain in production and on the market for three years.

The Investor claims that Apple plans to add one or two more rigid flexible printed circuit board suppliers to offer the iPhone X as well as the two new 2018 OLED models.

In addition, LG Display was identified as the likely supplier of screens for the 6.46-inch OLED screen on the rumored "iPhone X Plus." That would be a change, as Samsung is believed to be the sole supplier of OLED panels for the current 5.8-inch iPhone X.

Finally, the new 2018 OLED models are expected to feature new L-shaped batteries that will be produced by LG Chem. It is believed to be a single-cell battery with greater capacity than two-cell designs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    That's what I suspected in the other threat. There is no reason Apple would refresh the X. They can slash the price from $100-$200 and continue to sell like hot cakes. They can boost the line up by releasing a new 6.5" X+ at $999, new LCD phone (with iPhone X form factor) and the new SE.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Don’t even understand why this is a discussion, of course it’s gonna sell next year.
    GeorgeBMaccornchip
  • Reply 3 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    fallenjt said:
    That's what I suspected in the other threat. There is no reason Apple would refresh the X. They can slash the price from $100-$200 and continue to sell like hot cakes. They can boost the line up by releasing a new 6.5" X+ at $999, new LCD phone (with iPhone X form factor) and the new SE.
    1) So you're saying that despite every year there being an updated model with faster CPU and some additional HW features that this year—and only this year—they will not offer an updated 5.8" iPhone with at least a A12 series chip? Are you also saying that this "6.5" X+" will have an A11 series chip, too?

2) Aren't increases sales a damn reason for Apple creating YoY upgrades for their flagship device?

3) Why not look at this rumor as simply Apple continuing to sell the iPhone X next year the way it still sells the iPhone 7 series this year, and not like how it stopped making the original iPhone months before the iPhone 3G launched?
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 4 of 19
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Every rumor is made to seem like the end of world and that apple has made this huge miscalculation...Feb 1 at 4:30pm ET cannot come soon enough!
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    So one unsubstantiated rumor from an unnamed source says one thing and another unsubstantiated rumor from another unnamed source says the opposite. These are fun and all, but I won't blow a gasket until we hear what Apple is REALLY going to do.
    muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDayscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    fallenjt said:
    My thinking too. If a price reduction could give it a boost, it's worth trying.

The iPhone 8's, in spite of their chins and foreheads, could easily fill the shoes of the 7's when the time comes.

At the higher end, 'full screen' phones may be an easier sell but the current X is already there, so tweaking its price would be the easiest first option.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I really hope Apple releases an iPhone SE similar to the mock-up above. I use the X and my wife grudgingly uses a 6s—she wanted an upgrade from her 5s but didn’t like the bigger screens and the SE wasn’t available, but she was convinced by the pink 6s. Now the SE is as ‘outdated’ as her 6s so she won’t switch to it but she doesn’t want the X because of the bigger screen (unless perhaps it came in pink!). I think there are plenty of people who’d snatch up an SE-sized phone with the X’s design.
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 8 of 19
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    There’s nothing magical about releasing new products on calendar year boundaries. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Expect OLED new 6.5", updated 5.8" and LCD(iPhone X equivalent with top long black bar) iPhone 8S and 8S Plus replacement. Mid year SE2. iPhone 7.8,X will continue. 6S will be dropped and 6S V2 will be manufactured in India and sold at lower price in 2/3rd world countries..
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 10 of 19
    I think Apple wants to get off the yearly 'update' train or at least slow it down a bit. I'm thinking of the current iMac, the AppleWatch, ATV. Essentially, a design that is being used for multiple years with just the guts being updated.

Oh well.

cornchip
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Duh. 

Of course Apple will. ‘Analysts’? Who cares...
  • Reply 12 of 19

NY1822 said:
    Every rumor is made to seem like the end of world and that apple has made this huge miscalculation...Feb 1 at 4:30pm ET cannot come soon enough!
    What! The end of the world is actually happening on 1st Feb? I'd better get busy with my escape capsule. The Vogons will want to put their throughway right over my backyard. ;) :'(
  • Reply 13 of 19
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I hope the 6.46" model fits comfortably in my jeans pocket.
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I think Apple wants to get off the yearly 'update' train or at least slow it down a bit. I'm thinking of the current iMac, the AppleWatch, ATV. Essentially, a design that is being used for multiple years with just the guts being updated.

Oh well.

I interpret that as a criticism of Apple's tendency to put out an upgrade that leaves the external form factor essentially unchanged.

I take the opposite tack:   I give them credit for doing it.  If the external form factor is the best they can design, then keep it.   I grew up in the era when each year U.S. car manufacturers would change a car's external styling and call it "new".   There was no real improvement or innovation -- just an appeal to the emotion of getting something all shiny and "new" -- even though the guts inside were becoming increasingly obsolete.

I am glad that when Apple comes out with a new product that it's actually better than the prior version.  That they didn't just tack on a piece of shiny chrome and call it "new and improved".
    StrangeDayscornchipnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    bluefire1 said:
    You can test this out as I (and I'm sure countless others) did with the iPhone 6 Plus by going into a store or finding a friend that has one and sliding it into and out of your pocket to see if it fits comfortably and it's easy enough to access.
    cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Soli said:
    You can test this out as I (and I'm sure countless others) did with the iPhone 6 Plus by going into a store or finding a friend that has one and sliding it into and out of your pocket to see if it fits comfortably and it's easy enough to access.
    This is exactly what I did when looking at the 6 and 7 (non-Plus) phones, and recently, the X.  Not having deep (jeans) pockets, and carrying a little extra weight, they both pinched when in my front pocket with me knee raised.

Closing all my Activity rings for three months changed that, and the X fits splendidly in my pocket. Still, I love the 5s size, and the SE is very attractive. If the X had a real SIM, I'd sorely be tempted to get both. Seriously.
    cornchip
  • Reply 17 of 19
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    Soli said:
    bluefire1 said:
    The point is a new X Plus would actually be smaller than the 8 Plus so no one can find out until it is on sale.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 19
    netmage said:
    Soli said:
    bluefire1 said:
    The point is a new X Plus would actually be smaller than the 8 Plus so no one can find out until it is on sale.
    If the current Plus iPhones fit in a pocket, then why do you believe you can't know if a slightly smaller device can fit into that same pocket?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    bluefire1 said:
    I have jeans that my iPhone 5S struggles to slip into, then I have a few pairs that I can slip an iPad Mini into the rear pocket comfortably. Totally not a metric that any company would or could work with.  :)