6.1" LCD 2018 iPhone expected to account for 50% of Apple's new iPhone shipments

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    The $449 iPhone 6s Apple still sells today have 3D Touch. It just makes zero sense that the $700-800 6.1” iPhone that will come out later this year won’t support the feature that’s available on a much cheaper, older iPhone. 
    entropysrogifan_new
  • Reply 22 of 37
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I have the 10.5" iPad Pro, but still would love a 6.5" iPhone with OLED display.
    GeorgeBMaccbrooker
  • Reply 23 of 37
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    ireland said:
    foggyhill said:
    ireland said:
    Why 6.1” and not 5.8”?

Are they purposely trying to make the lineup confusing? 4”, 4.7”, 5.5”, 5.8”, 6.1”, 6.5”?

Why go away this year? If none we’ll have 6 iPhone screen sizes.
    Well, the size of the phone itself is what seemingly is dictating the size of the screen.
    That would probably NOT change.

They are in a transition period between two screen formats, so they'll be more variety now for sure.
    I’m confused. Why does the tech stop them from giving it a 5.8” display?
    Because the ratio is changed, it is no longer a 16:9 screen, therefore, you cant just say 5.8" is much larger when it is in 18.5:9  ( If i remember correctly ) ratio. 

The problem is I dont quite understand how these 6.1 and 6.5" Screen fits in.

If we take a iPhone 8 Plus, and apply the iPhone X bezel and form factor, you will get a 6.6", so I guess the 6.5" is close enough. ( It is actually closer to 6.7". But it is hard to find the exact physical measurement of both screen and sides details on the internet )

But we already have a full display size iPhone 8, that is iPhone X @ 5.8".

May be we will have iPhone Plus size, without Notch and rounded corners. Since these two "features" are quite costly.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    ireland said:
    I’d leave out “laptop” there. Teens basically live on their phones.
    That makes it good sense to NOT do everything on a phone if you are not a teenager or playing one in a Soap...

• Reply 25 of 37
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Sincerely, I have no idea why these phablets are so popular. 

I have my SE, the Air, and I am G-to-G!

What would you say to an SE with an edge to edge screen?   Sweet?
  • Reply 26 of 37
    wood1208 said:
    Believe it or not, this 6.1" LCD iPhone X can be a real winner..Basically, it rides on OLED iPhone X design success but with the larger screen at an attractive price point.. Apple can make iPhone 8S and 8S Plus with top long bar..

Explain why this phone would have to lose 3D Touch? This rumor doesn’t suggest it will be a budget phone and Apple had never claimed that 3D Touch was a premium feature.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

What would you say to an SE with an edge to edge screen? Sweet?
    I’d say “you used be affordable”.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Well this should be good for another 2% drop in the stock today. With all these stupid rumors Google will probably overtake Apple as the most valuable company this week. I think last week Apple was down about 4% while the market overall was up.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/29/iphone-x-sales-production/#disqus_thread
  • Reply 29 of 37
    If he has moles from suppliers, suppliers would certainly need to know how to plan capacities of production, which is based forecasts from Apple on projected sales and product mix. I'm highly unskeptical that Apple would have forecasts on the sales of future iPhone models.
    tundraboy said:
    Obviously Ming-Chi Kuo has moles from various suppliers and contract manufacturers feeding him information.  But whether that makes him an expert then at forecasting the sales of projected, still non-existent, iPhone models, I'm hiiiiiiiighly skeptical.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    Apple can’t come out with a phone that is almost exactly the same as the iPhone X except that it is made from LCD and has some minimal bezels, and costs a couple hundred less,  Then people would get confused between the two models.  Personally. I think the 5.8” mode should be 6.1” it would probably bring the screen ratio back to 16:9 or so.  

Second, ok the iPhone X the 3D Touch was converted into a thin film vs the thicker layer it was on the iPhone 8’s so it would stand to reason, it could be a more expensive feature than a “budget” iPhone can afford. And for all intense and purposes this 6.1” iPhone is a budget type iPhone that will be missing key features of the oled version. 

Yes, Apple can have a phone that has minimal bezel and a notch.  
  • Reply 31 of 37
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    gordoncy said:
    If he has moles from suppliers, suppliers would certainly need to know how to plan capacities of production, which is based forecasts from Apple on projected sales and product mix. I'm highly unskeptical that Apple would have forecasts on the sales of future iPhone models.
    tundraboy said:
    Obviously Ming-Chi Kuo has moles from various suppliers and contract manufacturers feeding him information.  But whether that makes him an expert then at forecasting the sales of projected, still non-existent, iPhone models, I'm hiiiiiiiighly skeptical.
    It’s not even about that, if you take the sales volume of the iPhone X then shave off $2-300 in price. 

Remeber oled uses more juice than lcd. So it stands to reason, you can squeeze a slightly bigger display into the standard iPhone form factor with the same size battery (roughly) 

and, remember although apple is making the iPhone out of cheaper parts to sell it at a cheaper price point, They will provide it with features that help define if as a unique phone from the oled’s 
  • Reply 32 of 37
    wood1208 said:
    Believe it or not, this 6.1" LCD iPhone X can be a real winner..Basically, it rides on OLED iPhone X design success but with the larger screen at an attractive price point.. Apple can make iPhone 8S and 8S Plus with top long bar..

Explain why this phone would have to lose 3D Touch? This rumor doesn’t suggest it will be a budget phone and Apple had never claimed that 3D Touch was a premium feature.
    Apple could save money by getting rid of 3D Touch which is expensive and not necessary. The same effect can be achieved by software through a long press. 
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Well this should be good for another 2% drop in the stock today. With all these stupid rumors Google will probably overtake Apple as the most valuable company this week. I think last week Apple was down about 4% while the market overall was up.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/29/iphone-x-sales-production/#disqus_thread
    Pretty sure you’re right. Google will declare net income of about half that of Apple and their shares will jump whilst Apples tank. 
  • Reply 34 of 37
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    ireland said:
    Why 6.1” and not 5.8”?

Are they purposely trying to make the lineup confusing? 4”, 4.7”, 5.5”, 5.8”, 6.1”, 6.5”?

Good point, and I will probably not consider a 6.1 phone because it's too large. Can't go above the size (outside contour) of the iPhone 8.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    AI_lias said:
    ireland said:
    Why 6.1” and not 5.8”?

Good point, and I will probably not consider a 6.1 phone because it's too large. Can't go above the size (outside contour) of the iPhone 8.
    If the displays on the 4.7" and 5.8" iPhones haven't been too big for you then you're likely not pushing the limits of comfort that a 2.5mm wider and 7.5mm taller device will be unwelcome.

DiagonalRatioWidthHeight      Full
        5.8" 2.33  5.3"   2.3"  12.18" sq
        6.1" 2.33  5.6"   2.4"  13.47" sq
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 36 of 37
    ireland said:

Not everybody needs or wants an iPad / tablet but want a device bigger than the SE that's very mobile.  Phablets are great for those whose mobile device needs don't go beyond a smartphone and a laptop.  
    I’d leave out “laptop” there. Teens basically live on their phones.
    Yes and no. I have teen children and while they do "live on their phones," they also live on their laptops and iPads. They aren’t going to edit YouTube videos on their phones; or research and write that school paper on their phones, either. Honestly, once your children are in middle school I’d say their use of technology is not all that different from their parents at least in regards to use cases for mobile, desktop, and tablet.