Apple closing Green Hills, Nashville & Alderwood Mall, Lynnwood stores for renovations

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2018
At least two additional U.S. Apple stores are closing for renovations next month in a bid to catch up with the company's latest design aesthetic.

Apple Green Hills is a relatively cramped space.
Apple Green Hills is a relatively cramped space.

The Green Hills outlet in Nashville, Tenn. is shuttering on Feb. 11, while Alderwood Mall in Lynnwood, Wash. will halt operations on Feb. 25. Apple hasn't confirmed any other details beyond saying it wants to make the locations "even lovelier."

Nashville residents will have to travel to CoolSprings Galleria as an alternative. In the case of Lynnwood, the next closest store is University Village in Seattle.

Under Angela Ahrendts, Apple's retail outlets have adopted traits such as wooden shelves, trees, and oversized video displays. Some have dedicated seating for "Today at Apple" events.

Many U.S. stores have also had to expand in size to cope with increased foot traffic, particularly those from the early to middle 2000s.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    There goes my closest Apple Store, leaving the Seattle store as the next closest although the Vancouver, BC, stores are just as close.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    rob53 said:
    There goes my closest Apple Store, leaving the Seattle store as the next closest although the Vancouver, BC, stores are just as close.
    The biggest Apple store is in Bellevue, WA just across the lake from Seattle.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Notsofast said:
    rob53 said:
    And there are Apple Stores in OR that don't collect WA sales/use tax.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    The Mall at Green Hills store has been too small for too long.  When the Pottery Barn closed a couple years back, I thought Apple would have taken that spot since it was prime mall real estate and had 2 to 3 times the square footage.  But it didn't happen.  I think the store next door to the Apple Store now is available which would make expansion possible.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I wish my Apple store wasn’t located in a mall...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Wondering what happens to their employees if they close the store for renovations. That would be rough to be an hourly employee and have your job close for a while.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Wondering what happens to their employees if they close the store for renovations. That would be rough to be an hourly employee and have your job close for a while.
    Not sure, but I think you can get unemployment benefits.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Notsofast said:
    rob53 said:
    eightzero said:
    That's fine if you live near Seattle or close to the Oregon border. I happen to live near the Canadian border so I'm equidistant from the Surry, BC and Seattle University stores. The closest Portland area store is >250 miles away so unless I'm already traveling south, I'd rather mail order through an Apple product vendor than drive that far. 

Actually Oregon doesn't collect sales tax on any retail purchase, it doesn't matter that I'm from Washington. 

What I don't understand is why Apple doesn't have an Apple Store in Olympia, the state capitol. 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 9 of 12
    They had done the downgrades at our local store this fall and winter. The downgrades include elimination of the genius bar, elimination of the displays of Mac and iPhone accessories, replacing the back wall with a giant display (like the the Microsoft store in the mall), reducing the Mac displays to a small table, and making large tables with phones and watches. It's austere and uninviting as heck, and the killing off of the support counter sends a pretty loud message that they're de-emphasizing the customer service that they're known for. It also givens the impression that they are phasing out their computers.

It's a huge step back. Right now, they look like a bargain basement store that's going out of business. It took them 6 months to do it too!
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    James.M said:
    They had done the downgrades at our local store this fall and winter. The downgrades include elimination of the genius bar, elimination of the displays of Mac and iPhone accessories, replacing the back wall with a giant display (like the the Microsoft store in the mall), reducing the Mac displays to a small table, and making large tables with phones and watches. It's austere and uninviting as heck, and the killing off of the support counter sends a pretty loud message that they're de-emphasizing the customer service that they're known for. It also givens the impression that they are phasing out their computers.

It's a huge step back. Right now, they look like a bargain basement store that's going out of business. It took them 6 months to do it too!
    Staying long? 

Just curious. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    rob53 said:
    Notsofast said:
    rob53 said:
    eightzero said:
    That's fine if you live near Seattle or close to the Oregon border. I happen to live near the Canadian border so I'm equidistant from the Surry, BC and Seattle University stores. The closest Portland area store is >250 miles away so unless I'm already traveling south, I'd rather mail order through an Apple product vendor than drive that far. 

Actually Oregon doesn't collect sales tax on any retail purchase, it doesn't matter that I'm from Washington. 

What I don't understand is why Apple doesn't have an Apple Store in Olympia, the state capitol. 
    OR may actually be collecting tax in the future. Depends what SCOTUS tells us the constitution requires.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    James.M said:

Where do you people come from? Who pays you to spout this garbage?