2018 iPhone SE predicted to be a minor upgrade, if it happens at all

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
While rumors of a next-generation iPhone SE continue to swirl, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities is skeptical, telling investors on Monday that he's not sure Apple has the resources to debut its fourth iPhone model in just a matter of months.

On the heels of the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X debut last fall, Apple is rumored to be working on a next-generation iPhone SE. It has been suggested that the handset could be unveiled in the first half of 2018.

Ming-Chi Kuo, of KGI Securities, isn't convinced. In a note to investors Monday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider, he said Apple is unlikely to have enough spare resources to develop a new iPhon model debut early this year.

"The announcement of three new iPhone models in the same quarter in 2H17 was the first time Apple made such a major endeavor, and we believe the delay of the iPhone X, which had the most complicated design yet, shows that Apple doesn't hav enough resources available for development," he wrote.

Kuo doesn't dismiss the possibility of an "iPhone SE 2" entirely, but he did say that if it were to be upgraded in the next few months, the changes would likely be minor. He doesn't expect additions like wireless charging, a 3D sensing camera, or an edge-to-edge display, as those additions would undercut more premium models like the iPhone 8 and iPhone X.

Kuo's note appears to be in response to a recent rumor which suggested a next-generation iPhone SE would boast a glass back for wireless charging. It has also been suggested that the handset will enter into production soon, and begin shipping in May or June.

If Apple does release a new iPhone SE this year, Kuo believes the changes will be minor, such as a faster processor to run the anticipated "iOS 12." He cautioned that the changes could be so insignificant that most consumers may not notice them.

Kuo has been the chief source of future Apple hardware rumors for years, building a respectable track record in predicting where the company will go next. He believes Apple has three new iPhones on tap for this fall: A jumbo-sized 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus," a next-generation iPhone X, and a lower priced 6.1-inch model with an LCD display and Face ID, sans home button.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Mr. Kuo, the SE 2 will have an A11, hd retina, stereo speakers, and better camera system. 

I have no sources, but it is true.

A big smile, and much hope. 
    command_fkseccurtis hannah[Deleted User]jony0
  • Reply 2 of 24
    If it only has the wireless charging feature...that would be fine with me. I like the glass back depicted in the mock-up, too.

I'd be surprised if it didn't support the new PowerMat.

Best.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 3 of 24
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    I guess minor is relative. If they keep the price the same but replace the A9 era processor with an A11, more RAM, and more storage, that would be a pretty major upgrade to the phone.
    toddzrxlkalliancebonobobuktechiearthurbabaconstangdesignrlolliver
  • Reply 4 of 24
    So instead of an IPhone 5 with a faster processor It will be an iPhone 5 with a NEW faster processor? This guy is brilliant, and when can I get one?
    edited January 2018 gregalexanderarthurba[Deleted User]
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Mr. Kuo, the SE 2 will have an A11, hd retina, stereo speakers, and better camera system. 

I have no sources, but it is true.
    I hope your non-sources are correct.  :D

I value my SE for its size (though you won't find me complaining that it's also the lowest priced iPhone), my only regret is that 128GB wasn't available at launch. An updated processor, camera and TouchID would be enough to make me buy. Better sound and HD Retina would be very nice; 3D Touch and FaceID I wouldn't expect. Wireless charging does not excite me.

I think I'm really saying that I liked the original formula: take the key elements from the then-current 6S and put as many as fit into a classic-sized case.
    entropysJWSCuktechiearthurba[Deleted User]designrpscooter63lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 24
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    It looks like his agenda right now is to push the stock price down. Next week he’ll flip.
    JFC_PAlolliver
  • Reply 7 of 24
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    does this guy rest? everyday ....unreal
  • Reply 8 of 24
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    If rest of iPhones moving up in size 5.8".6.1",6.5" than SE has option to fill up from 4"-4.7" size space.
    uktechie
  • Reply 9 of 24
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    schlack said:
    I guess minor is relative. If they keep the price the same but replace the A9 era processor with an A11, more RAM, and more storage, that would be a pretty major upgrade to the phone.
    Agreed.

The SE is a phone for folks that don't care about the latest and greatest; they mainly want typical functions like calling, texting, and web browsing to work.  Nothing earth shattering.  It's still a modern looking phone, so updated internals would satisfy most everyone that would b e interested in this device.
    JWSCuktechiecurtis hannahbaconstangJFC_PA
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Is there a market reason why the line up (leaving out the iPhone X) has two phone sizes? The success of the iPhone SE demonstrates that there is a need for a capable 4 inch phone. Why not make the next generation of iPhone come in (using the old sizing) 4.0, 4.7 and 5.5. Maybe Apple has market data to the contrary but this just seems like a good idea.

My big issue is that when they launched it the statement was "some people just like smaller phones". Not "only poor people like smaller phones". I cant palm a basket ball and damn it i want to touch all four corners of my phone with one hand. Make a god damn 4" version of a flagship and i'll happily buy one!

mattinozJWSCarthurbabaconstang[Deleted User]
  • Reply 11 of 24
    One week its a whole change, next week its a minor upgrade, I wish everyone would just agree that they don't really know!
    baconstanglolliver
  • Reply 12 of 24
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    mauijoe said:
    So instead of an IPhone 5 with a faster processor It will be an iPhone 5 with a NEW faster processor? This guy is brilliant, and when can I get one?
    If you study the specifications of the current iPhone SE it's evident that it's not simply an iPhone 5 with a faster processor.  It's effectively an iPhone 6S but with first generation TouchID, no 3D Touch and running the same A9 processor at a slower speed, all in a chassis identical to that of the 5S and similar to the iPhone 5.
    designrpscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 24
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    You know Apple made SE to be an entry level iPhone, right? 
  • Reply 14 of 24
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Cook now must understand why Jobs enforces product development as top secret.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    I like how Kuo comes out with these predictions based on ????? and if people like them the grab them and run but when they don’t like them they bash him as having a ‘poor track record’ or questionable sources. What’s the difference between doing that and simply making up your own predictions based on what you want Apple to do? And in the end what do any of these predictions have to do with anything besides giving AI and other outlets something to write about? 

• Reply 16 of 24
    I’ve got an iPhone X. It’s great. Astonishingly fast, great camera, slick Face ID that works so well I barely notice it and 256GB storage. I still look at my wife’s iPhone 5s and my daughter’s iPhone 5 with fond memories though. They’re small, light and easily slip into a small pocket. As my wife says, most women’s clothes have small pockets. 

They don’t care about dual cameras, wireless charging and Face ID. They’re not enthusiasts like us. They want a faster processor but I guess they’d be delighted with an iPhone SE which offers excellent value for money too. With rumours of new models though it’s sensible to wait. 

I think there are a lot of people waiting for an SE 2. Apart from people like my wife and daughter I suspect there’s a huge market in India and China. If the SE replacement has better Touch ID, wireless charging etc that’s a bonus but I don’t think it’s critical for this model. If it had dual cameras I’d even consider getting one myself...

They’re really nice phones and people will buy them.  
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 17 of 24
    wood1208 said:
    If rest of iPhones moving up in size 5.8".6.1",6.5" than SE has option to fill up from 4"-4.7" size space.
    Oh God I hope not.

As others have said - it's the size, not the price, that I like.  Make me a $2000 iPhone SE 2 with all iPhone X features but just 4" and I'll be happy.

Failing that though - at least give me an iPhone SE 2 with 256GB and a barometer (so it can count 'flights of stairs') and a 'better' rear camera (front camera already OK).   If the SE2 doesn't have that - then I'd probably just stick with my current gen 1 SE.

I don't care about wireless charging (too slow) or more energy sapping (and more pixel dense) display or 'force touch' which seem to do nothing but confuse the life out of anyone but the geekiest geek.  

Things I really like in the X are the edge-to-edge display, no home button and face id - but frankly I can take them or leave them.  Like I said - iPhone X SE with those features I'd pay up to $2K for, but if they are not there I won't miss them.

Once the 'series 4' (or series 3 2018 refresh) of the Apple Watch Cellular is out - I'm going  to switch to that as my main phone - the SE will sit in a drawer and come out just when the Watch needs updating.  Others have convinced me that the Apple Watch Cellular is actually the 'small premium phone' that Apple make.  For a camera and content consumption I'll be using the Red Hydrogen One (probably with no SIM card since I wouldn't trust Android with cellular connectivity).
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Considering most people only care about a faster processor, better camera & screen, and more space... it sounds like we’re all set.
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Ming-Chi Kuo knows even more then a guy name Tim Cook on what is happening at Apple!  
  • Reply 20 of 24
    I'd be more than happy with a mere spec bump / updated internals. It's all about the size.