Apple said to be cutting iPhone X production in half due to slow sales

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    I love my iPhone X. Face ID works great for me and much better than I expected - it’s so slick I barely notice it.  

The dual camera and new photo features are great. The speed is stunning. My kids like Animojis but I don’t use them. It’s a great phone and some friends have them too.

It’s  feels big and heavy to me though and I confess I wasn’t as excited about upgrading my 6s to an X as I was about upgrading my 4 to a 4s to get Siri or my 4s to a 5s to get Touch ID and a bigger screen. They were really big upgrades for me. My wife and daughter are still happy with their 5 and 5s and mobile phone upgrades are less compelling and less significant these days for most people. Not because the new phones aren’t astonishing but because the older phones are pretty good too. 

Difficult to say how this translates into sales. More of my friends upgraded to an iPhone X than I expected but they are techie people earning good incomes. I suspect the uptake in the wider population may be less than previous updates. 
  • Reply 62 of 73
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Don’t feed the Trolls “...Huge Apple fan... My face lit up...”
  • Reply 64 of 73
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Let’s be honest, the iPhone X is not that great. I mean, it has a fantastic camera and it’s super speedy, but “FaceID” is an overpriced solution in search of a problem.
    After having used my iPhoneX for a couple of months, the conclusion is that it fails more often to recognize my face compared to touchID’s success rate. It doesn’t recognize my face in landscape mode. I need to take the phone from my car mount and stick my face in front of it when it gets locked (or type in my code after it failed to recognize my face again).

The phone interaction is a step back. A tiny spot to invoke control center is harder to do, closing apps is a weird combination of gestures, and so forth. All these changes to support a 3D face recognition camera nobody asked for. Yes, the edge to edge display is nice but after all these years, couldn’t Apple have waited for a touch ID solution under the screen? 

Truth is, after the initial hype, reality kicked in and everyone realized it’s not that exciting. The phone is still cool and all - I’m not unhappy - but it’s definitely not that special either.
    And *I* say that it's the best iPhone I've ever owned, so I just canceled out your anecdotal opinion.
    ronn
  • Reply 65 of 73
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member

jsmythe00 said:
    I saw the price, the lame updates in iOS 11, all the bugs and decided to stay with my 6S plus. Then I went one step further and tried the Note 8. 

I'm quite happy with the combination. Not sure if it's because of a new experience with a different phone, or just loving the features Apple keeps sidestepping. 

Whatever the case is, iPhones are likely one Apple product I'll be passing up here on out. Love the ipad, LOVE the airpods 
    iOS 11 on the X is a completely different beast than on your 6S. Your loss.
    ronn
  • Reply 66 of 73
    jsmythe00 said:

jsmythe00 said:
    I saw the price, the lame updates in iOS 11, all the bugs and decided to stay with my 6S plus. Then I went one step further and tried the Note 8. 

I'm quite happy with the combination. Not sure if it's because of a new experience with a different phone, or just loving the features Apple keeps sidestepping. 

Whatever the case is, iPhones are likely one Apple product I'll be passing up here on out. Love the ipad, LOVE the airpods 
    iOS 11 on the X is a completely different beast than on your 6S. Your loss.

I don't see it. I've used the IPX. The new gestures is the only thing different than what's on my 6SP software wise. 

IOS feature wise is long on tooth. Apple needs to bring some compelling features to it. Animojis is great for the 12 year old but how many of those things will an adult use

IOS is like Siri on the home pod. Featureless
    Just swiping between apps at the bottom has been a huge time saver for me. Reachability is 100x better than before. FaceID integrated everywhere. I dunno, overall it makes for a much more pleasant experience. It's been a huge advancement to me. 

What are the compelling features you think are holding back iOS? What would compel you? I don't know why people bring up Animoji as a negative — if you don't like it, don't use it — but it's *hardly* the only new feature in iOS 11. "Featureless" is a ridiculous statement.
    ronn
  • Reply 67 of 73
    I am not interested in this phone. I like the home button with touch ID. As I may or may not be wearing glasses at any given time, the facial recognition thing would be iffy. Besides, someone could hold you down, then hold the phone up to your face and gain full access.
    Apple keeps coming up with stuff with its decades-old ivory tower mentality and does cool stuff because it's cool even if it is impractical. As for the Mac, what I need is a modern version of the tower, yet Apple replaced it with the extremely limited and very expensive gimmick cyninder, and now they are pushing an all in one as  a pro machine. High end pros have been waiting for a substantial machine for half a generation, yet Apple keeps trying to focus on coolness.
    I will stick with my iPhone until Apple comes to its senses or the phone dies. Knowing Apple's head=in-the-clouds mentality, they will keep pushing facial recognition for years, despite its obvious failings.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Let’s be honest, the iPhone X is not that great. I mean, it has a fantastic camera and it’s super speedy, but “FaceID” is an overpriced solution in search of a problem.
    After having used my iPhoneX for a couple of months, the conclusion is that it fails more often to recognize my face compared to touchID’s success rate. It doesn’t recognize my face in landscape mode. I need to take the phone from my car mount and stick my face in front of it when it gets locked (or type in my code after it failed to recognize my face again).

The phone interaction is a step back. A tiny spot to invoke control center is harder to do, closing apps is a weird combination of gestures, and so forth. All these changes to support a 3D face recognition camera nobody asked for. Yes, the edge to edge display is nice but after all these years, couldn’t Apple have waited for a touch ID solution under the screen? 

Truth is, after the initial hype, reality kicked in and everyone realized it’s not that exciting. The phone is still cool and all - I’m not unhappy - but it’s definitely not that special either.
    And *I* say that it's the best iPhone I've ever owned, so I just canceled out your anecdotal opinion.
    I'd bet that you've said about every iPhone you've owned. 
  • Reply 69 of 73

And how’s *your* anecdotal opinion any different? What are you trying to say? You didn’t “cancel out” my opinion - that’s still mine - you just added an opinion yourself. We’re not having a wrestling match, buddy! Glad to hear you like your phone...
  • Reply 70 of 73
    tyancy said:
    I am not interested in this phone. I like the home button with touch ID. As I may or may not be wearing glasses at any given time, the facial recognition thing would be iffy. Besides, someone could hold you down, then hold the phone up to your face and gain full access.
    It works whether you have glasses on or not.

Someone could hold you down and press your finger against your phone. What's the difference?
    ronn
  • Reply 71 of 73

I'd bet that you've said about every iPhone you've owned. 
    No. The last iPhone I was super impressed with was the 4. My 5 and 6 were good for being larger, but I didn't care for the overall design or build at all on either.
  • Reply 72 of 73

And how’s *your* anecdotal opinion any different? What are you trying to say? You didn’t “cancel out” my opinion - that’s still mine - you just added an opinion yourself. We’re not having a wrestling match, buddy! Glad to hear you like your phone...
    I was countering your "everyone realized it’s not that exciting" statement, which is false. That's all.