Apple Pay accepted at 1 out of 2 U.S. stores, says Apple VP Jennifer Bailey

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    In no way do I think it's 1 in 2 places, which is really 50% of the stores out there support Apple Pay. It is growing. A couple new places I go to now support it. They didn't know until I held my Apple Watch over their Terminal and BAM it worked. Most of the time that have no idea. If you ask them, they'll say NO, and yet Apple Pay works. So ignore the worker, look at the machine and look for the NFC symbol on the screen. If it's a large screen terminal, then it may show Apple Pay and Android Pay on the screen. So the NFC symbol looks like your Wifi Graphics on the top of your iPhone, turned sideways. If you see that, go give it a try. The biggest issue I have is having to tell them to activate the terminal so that it works. I guess they expect to see you whip out a card.
    SoliSpamSandwichrandominternetpersonpalomineAirunJaemmatz
  • Reply 22 of 52
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member

I’d like to see weekly updates of websites that take pay. Often the biggest impediment for shopping on smaller websites of course is entering password, card number, etc.  Now that many online sellers from Amazon to wine.com are adding state sales taxes to purchases made on the Internet, Apple has golden opportunity. Sign up more small third-party merchants on the web for pay, many of whom still assess no sales tax for buyers in a different U.S. state. Maybe keep a searchable database of these merchants on apple.com, which eventually can lure advertising within that “Apple boutique” site. Would also help to train Siri to serve iOS clientele. In other words, don’t cede low-hanging fruit to Amazon, Google and Facebook. 

palomine
  • Reply 23 of 52
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    The new Shell station gas pumps installed last month do accept Apple Pay.

i found that “PIN required” issue to be a mashup of bank+retailer odd backend requirements. Took my credit union and Office Depot about six month to stop that silliness.  Meanwhile, Amex flawless as usual
    Ditto Exxon Mobil Speedpass app.

Edit: oops, as I see Thrang already said above.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Used my Apple Watch to pay at the pump at Sheetz for the first time other day.  On a cold day while wearing gloves this was a great experience.  Much faster and easier than fumbling with my wallet and dipping my card (and entering my zip code and answering dumb questions on an illegible LCD screen).  This was the first use that made a significant difference in my buying experience.

Sheetz is a gas (petrol) station, if that wasn't clear from context.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 25 of 52
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    I think you guys are misinterpreting the 50% of stores quote.
    It's not 50% of the stores you go to, because you only go to 1 of each of these.
    You may go to 1 or 2 McDonalds, but they have thousands of stores, which dwarfs the number of local BBQ joints.
    AirunJae
  • Reply 26 of 52
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    I am a big proponent of ApplePay, and I mention it at every terminal I run across. In the vast majority of situations (and fairly, I am not a prolific shopper) the cashier simply does not care. When I get a vary vapid response, I have been know to ask them, "could you have your supervisor stop over. please?" Often even the supervisor doesn't care either. And then they want us to trust them with our information. We then decry the death of in person retail.

When ApplePay came out, I started asking about it every week at Safeway. I spend more money in more transactions there than any other retailer. I really wanted it there, because they did have a security breach some years ago. When they announced last October it was being "implemented in all stores by the end of the month" I was excited.

No dice. My experience is that the 50% stat cited here is about the success rate. About 50% of the times I try it in the same store, and even in the same checkout line, it works. The other 50% it simply doesn't respond at all. That is simple evidence of bad implementation, and lip service by the retailer that they "accept it." When I go to Trader Joes (where it was available almost from inception) it works every time. Every. Time.

Fairly, I tweet at @Safeway every time I have a failure, and they do respond and follow up. Props to those folks, but their IT department sucks. And I doubt this is unique. Why offer a customer service in the form of payment convenience? Mind you, these are stores that are moving to self checkout (or no checkout with Amazon Go.) 
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Used my Apple Watch to pay at the pump at Sheetz for the first time other day.  On a cold day while wearing gloves this was a great experience.  Much faster and easier than fumbling with my wallet and dipping my card (and entering my zip code and answering dumb questions on an illegible LCD screen).  This was the first use that made a significant difference in my buying experience.

Sheetz is a gas (petrol) station, if that wasn't clear from context.
    Holy Sheetz! ;)
  • Reply 28 of 52
    There really isn't such a thing as an Apple Pay terminal. The signs are really just alerting you to the fact Apple Pay works there. All that is required is a payment terminal that accepts contactless payments. General advice, never tell a cashier Apple Pay. Just say Mastercard or whatever, then wait for the contactless symbol to come up. Some terminals just tell you to tap without the official symbol. Then tap your iPhone or Apple Watch.

I use Apple Pay for the vast majority of my payments in stores here in Canada. Retailers that don't have contactless terminals are in the very small minority. Those holdouts (Lowes, Home Depot, Wally-Mart), I tend to avoid as much as possible. 

I live right at the border and shop in the US, every few weeks. Just got to use my Apple Watch with CapitalOne Visa at Aldis...no requirement for pin or signature. My impression is that 50% is a REAL stretch!!
    palomineSpamSandwich
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Almost everywhere I shop now supports it.
    Safeway was the biggest holdout until a couple months ago.
    Target is the only store missing it that I encounter regularly.
    waverboy
  • Reply 30 of 52
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    zroger73 said:
    Soli said:
    ...I honestly can't say I'm seeing it at 50% of the stores I go to.
    Same here.

Sam's/Walmart? No.
    Lowe's? No.
    Home Depot? No.
    Target? No.
    Gas stations? No.
    Local BBQ place? No.
    Hilton Garden Inn? No.
    Tractor Supply? No.
    Baskin-Robins? Yes.
    Brookshire's? Yes.
    Chick-Fil-A? Yes.

These are just a few examples. Overall, less than 20% of the places I go accept Apple Pay.
    Agreed.   The Targets that I've been to don't accept it and neither does "Bed, Bath and Beyond".   My local supermarket chain accepts it, but the independent store I buy most of my groceries doesn't.   And then there are the places that seem to have the reader, but it never seems to work.    The reality is that taking the phone out of my pocket, pressing the home button, waiting for the credit card list to come up, choosing the correct credit/debit card if it's not the default and then responding to the terminal prompts is no faster than taking a credit or debit card out of my wallet and sticking it in the machine.  It just might be a bit more secure, not that I've ever had a security problem.   

Until it's accepted just about everywhere and can be used at ATM's, I've still got to carry a credit card and cash with me anyway, so I think it will be a long time, if ever, before I can leave my wallet at home and just bring the phone. 
    zroger73waverboy
  • Reply 31 of 52
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    >"It's the world's most accepted contactless payment technology

Let me correct this, it is the world ( excluding China ) most accepted NFC payment technology.

Because by any means contactless should include QR Code
  • Reply 32 of 52
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ksec said:
    Because by any means contactless should include QR Code 
    LOL It's always weird to see advocates of QR Codes.

FAIL!
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Waiting patiently in Europe..
  • Reply 34 of 52
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    zroger73 said:
    Soli said:
    ...I honestly can't say I'm seeing it at 50% of the stores I go to.
    Same here.

Sam's/Walmart? No.
    Gas stations? No.

These are just a few examples. Overall, less than 20% of the places I go accept Apple Pay.
    Since Walmart Pay is designed to serve Sam's/Walmart rather than their customers, much will have to change before you'll ever see Apple Pay/NFC credit payments there.

As for gas stations, you probably mean pumps only, not inside the station itself. Fraud liability that occurs "at the pump" won't switch to those retailers until October 2020, so many, many pumps in the US don't even have chip readers. Again, this is all about squeezing every fraction of a cent from every transaction, customer be damned.

Of the retailers I frequent more than 4 times a year, only Costco and (most) restaurants don't have Apple Pay.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Over here in the UK I'd say its now accepted in like 80% of stores, use it pretty much everytime I'm at a checkout.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Here in the Midwest, Apple Pay adoption is definitely pulling that 50% average down. However, I've seen more places having it within the last year or so, and the gas station I frequent most often has little "wireless payment coming soon" icons on the pumps nearest my house. I really want to see Target adopt it, but that will be a while (if ever) since they added a wallet within their app to pay in stores.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    AirunJae said:
    Here in the Midwest, Apple Pay adoption is definitely pulling that 50% average down. However, I've seen more places having it within the last year or so, and the gas station I frequent most often has little "wireless payment coming soon" icons on the pumps nearest my house. I really want to see Target adopt it, but that will be a while (if ever) since they added a wallet within their app to pay in stores.
    It’s crazy to me that Target hasn’t adopted Apple Pay (and others) when they had the largest customer data breach in recent memory. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 38 of 52
    AirunJae said:
    It’s crazy to me that Target hasn’t adopted Apple Pay (and others) when they had the largest customer data breach in recent memory. 
    Same opinion here. Target has made some poor anti-customer decisions recently.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    AirunJae said:
    And after Current C went nowhere I thought they might move toward contactless payments. I haven’t heard about them rolling their own solution like Walmart but I guess they’re in no hurry. I feel like if Target gets on board then Walmart would probably follow. I don’t really shop at either (well, online I do) but if either of them started accepting Apple Pay I think we’d see more rapid adoption. Same goes with CVS. 
  • Reply 40 of 52
    AirunJae said:
    And after Current C went nowhere I thought they might move toward contactless payments. I haven’t heard about them rolling their own solution like Walmart but I guess they’re in no hurry. I feel like if Target gets on board then Walmart would probably follow. I don’t really shop at either (well, online I do) but if either of them started accepting Apple Pay I think we’d see more rapid adoption. Same goes with CVS. 
    No, Walmart won’t get on board. They don’t need to. They want that data collected at checkout for themselves.