'iOS 12' features put on hold said to include multiplayer AR games, automatic sorting of p...

Posted:
in iOS
A second report sheds more light on the features not expected to make the cut for this year's "iOS 12" update, as a redesigned home screen app grid, multiplayer support for augmented reality, and new algorithmic sorting of photos are now reportedly likely to wait until "iOS 13."

iOS "dark mode" concept via Max Angelakis.

Word first surfaced earlier Tuesday that Apple internally told developers that some key features planned for this year would be pushed back to 2019 to allow the company to focus on performance and reliability.

Following that report, Bloomberg chimed in separately to confirm the delays, and also add some additional details. It said that "flashier changes" like the redesigned home screen are not expected to arrive until next year.

And while the advanced photo sorting capabilities in the works are also likely to be delayed, reporter Mark Gurman did say that "some smaller upgrades to the Photos app will still appear this year."

Other enhancements said to be in the works are improvements for FaceTime video calling, and improved parental controls.

Also expected to remain on track is the so-called project "Marzipan" that will simplify developer tools with a unified code base, potentially making it easier to port iOS apps to the Mac.

If Apple sticks to its regular annual release pattern, as is expected to do, then "iOS 12" should be unveiled at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference in June, before launching to the public in September.

In the interim, the company is working on a new iOS 11.3 update that will give users the ability to check the health of their device's battery, and choose to enable or disable automatic throttling of older devices to prevent random shutdowns. The update also includes four new Animoji, support for Messages in iCloud, ARKit 1.5, and tweaks to Apple Music and Apple News.
doozydozen

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Multiplayer AR games would be interesting. I'd like to see Apple make some internally. When the actively cooled A10X bearing Apple TV came out that's what I really wanted, first party games that push the hardware to its limit. This isn't for that, but it would set an interesting precident. 

Anyways, regardless, I'm with them on slowing down features to nail performance and stability first. 
    edited January 2018 perpetual3doozydozenwillcropointbshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Dark mode please.
    perpetual3macxpresscaladaniandoozydozenminicoffeewlymbshank[Deleted User]
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ...auto photos tagging off mode please...
    mike1brian green
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Also expected to remain on track is the so-called project "Marzipan" that will simplify developer tools with a unified code base, potentially making it easier to port iOS apps to the Mac. 

I was worried that you’d never catch on. 
    perpetual3brian green
  • Reply 5 of 16

Mark Gurman is a reporter, not a viable or reliable news source for what goes on at Apple. Gurman, has reported on other stories that panned out to be just unsubstantiated rumors.

In other words, don't get you knickers in a bunch over this story.

lollivermattinoz
  • Reply 6 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Would like the ability to delete unwanted albums from the Photo app. I have no need for separate albums to sort people, places, live photos, screenshots, selfies and panoramas. Personally, I would keep camera roll, favorites and videos.
    edited January 2018 lito_lupena
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I don’t get AR yet - and I have an X. Can’t seem to find any use cases. Intuively, I would prefer AR on a HUD, like in a car or pair of glasses.  

However, I didn’t use Siri at all until I got an Apple Watch and AirPods.  Now I use it daily with frequency.  I also didn’t appreciate other benefits of the watch, like it’s integrarion with Maps which mitigates the need to stare at a GPS while driving, relying more on vibration and speech.  I’m anticipating that the sum of its parts is what will propel the Apple ecosystem, and that Apple has this in mind with AR.  

Which brings me to the broader issue of focusing on flash rather then the cohesive utility of elements of the Apple experience. There’s a tendency to reduce the utility of something (watch, headphones, phone, speaker) to one or two standout features, while ignoring how each element brings out additional utility that, standing alone, each event can’t provide.  Nobody would experience this cohesiveness if they didn’t have all or at least most of the elements, and if Apple can’t deliver on the services which connect them together. 

I don’t expect perfection, but Apple has raised a high bar, and I would argue that Apple still has work to do refining the software-service glue, less so the hardwire elements. Siri doesn’t work well enough ( for example, if I’ve voice activated Siri, why do I need to unlock my phone? If the watch Siri picks up and needs to pass to the phone for some tasks, why do I need to physically press a button? Why can’t siri understand interrogative dictation, why won’t it correctly interpret a command to text “asking” as an interrogative query? Stuff like that”). Face ID for me, also doesn’t work well because I’m near sighted and often need to unlock while reading at a desk. 

So, while I’ve been wanting a new home screen (more like windows phone, to be honest.. don’t hate me..), I prefer that Apple spend more time refining the services and functionality, especially that which increases the seemless connectivity between watch, phone, tablet, headphones, and PC.  High quality, beautiful hardware and well designed GUI I’m not worried about.  
    lito_lupena
  • Reply 8 of 16
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    jurassic said:

Mark Gurman is a reporter, not a viable or reliable news source for what goes on at Apple. Gurman, has reported on other stories that panned out to be just unsubstantiated rumors.

In other words, don't get you knickers in a bunch over this story.

The story is from Axios/Ina, Gurman only confirmed the details. 

https://www.axios.com/scoop-apple-delays-ios-features-to-focus-on-reliability-performance-1517278421-d7722a3b-402e-4804-8f24-719154bf2a8e.html
    doozydozenmmatz
  • Reply 9 of 16
    My iOS iPhone & IPad work fine, but I’ll never complain about a ‘focus’ on performance and reliability.  

But, I think security will be their #1 focus. I bet they’ll be going through their A processors with a fine toothed comb.

I also bet bug bounties get a lot of love from the software side..
    doozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Dark mode please.
    Yes please...and throughout the entire OS. Not just in certain apps/windows. And we want real dark mode...not the accessibility trick some try and respond back with. 
    caladanianlolliverdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Dark mode please.
    Yes, been wanting this for a while.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Also expected to remain on track is the so-called project "Marzipan" that will simplify developer tools with a unified code base, potentially making it easier to port iOS apps to the Mac.
    Nope. AI's interpretation on this rumor has been unique a one, where the other sources don't frame Marzipan about "porting" iOS apps to the Mac. It's about universal apps that target multiple endpoints from a Xcode project codebase. The views designed for the Mac target will be just as custom and non-ported as screens created for tvOS are. But by tightening this support in the IDE it will hopefully reduce effort and barriers to entry.
    edited January 2018 doozydozenmizhouwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member

Nope. AI's interpretation on this rumor has been unique a one, where the other sources don't frame Marzipan about "porting" iOS apps to the Mac. It's about universal apps that target multiple endpoints from a Xcode project codebase. The views designed for the Mac target will be just as custom and non-ported as screens created for tvOS are. But by tightening this support in the IDE it will hopefully reduce effort and barriers to entry.
    So it only targets Apple platforms still or are we talking something really new like a "Swift Native" Interface project that will allow universal apps across all platforms by any developer willing to buy a mac?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    mattinoz said:

So it only targets Apple platforms still or are we talking something really new like a "Swift Native" Interface project that will allow universal apps across all platforms by any developer willing to buy a mac?
    I honestly think this is going to be more of a singular code base (your classes and methods) while the Interface Builder/Storyboard part of it all be handling the UI linking like it does now. Just you will be able to target Mac, iOS, tvOS, and potential watchOS all at the same time, making the handling of code and squashing of bugs far more efficient. TL/DR: Basically AI is right and so is @mattinoz ; all at the same time.
    mizhou
  • Reply 15 of 16
    A new way to interact with apps is needed. With dozens of apps installed, the fastest way is to swipe down and search for the app at hand. Instead of an old fashioned grid of apps, why not allow common tasks to be added? E.g an icon or bar that represents “call my wife” or “drive to home”, where pressing long or 3D touching opens secondary custom defined actions?
    A grid of apps could then pushed back to subsequent screens, so it would be still there, just de-priorized in where it’s located. If I wouldn’t have defined any ‘actions’, the grid of apps would still show up in the main screen.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member

The question is if the advantages prevail over drawbacks and complications