CNN blames Apple for bombarding users with repeated Apple News push notification [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2018
Earlier today, a number of iPhone owners were inundated by a series of repeated Apple News push notifications alerting users to CNN's follow-up on Hawaii's false ballistic missile alarm. The news organization has since issued a statement blaming Apple for the mishap.

While only a subset of iPhone users were impacted by the apparent bug, the constantly repeated push notification prompted some to air their complaints on Twitter.

According to user accounts, some saw CNN's headline -- about the firing of the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency employee who triggered an errant ballistic missile alarm two weeks ago -- repeated every seven seconds for a period of about ten minutes.

CNN is able to push breaking news headlines as an approved Apple News partner. These notifications are sent to users who opted in to receive alerts from the news service, as well as other outlets, upon setting up the Apple News app or by toggling push notifications on in the "Following" section.

In a subsequent tweet from CNN Communications, the company said it sent out only one alert, suggesting the problem lies with Apple News.

"We are aware that some Apple News users recently received multiples of the same alert. Our server log shows CNN sent only one. We are working with Apple to identify their issue, as users on CNN-owned platforms did not experience a problem. Apologies to those who did," CNN said.

The irony of the situation was not lost on those who received the repeated notification, an error reminiscent of Hawaii's false ballistic missile alert.

CNN fired off a push notification of the story about the official behind the Hawaiian missile alert mishap being fired, and there's clearly something wrong because I've now received this notification 30+ times. How's that for irony?

-- Evan (@EvanXDuckett)

As Apple has not commented on the issue, it is unlikely users will find out what exactly happened. While vetted partners like CNN can request Apple News alerts, the tech giant's servers are ultimately responsible for executing platform push notifications.

Update: Apple in a post to Twitter confirmed the issue lies with Apple News.

"We're working to fix an Apple News issue that caused some users to receive duplicate notifications. We apologize for the inconvenience this caused," Apple said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Yet another quality issue from Apple. They need to focus on quality, not new features.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 30
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Yet another quality issue from Apple. They need to focus on quality, not new features.
    Is a quality issue, or CNN covering their ass and finger pointing. Who knows really.
    mwhitewilliamlondonthinkman@chartermi.net
  • Reply 3 of 30
    It’s iOS 11! First it killed my battery, then it slowed down my phone and now it’s bombarding me with notifications! I should have stayed on iOS 10!!

/s
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Is a quality issue, or CNN covering their ass and finger pointing. Who knows really.
    That's right.  Nevertheless, wouldn't it be better for someone from the executive at CNN call a counterpart at Apple and discuss the repeated push notification issue with a view to issuing a joint public statement from both companies?  The root cause (CNN or Apple or both) can be addressed offline / internally so it doesn't happen again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 30
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I don’t have news notifications turned on yet I got an iMessage from my daughter almost every time she got that notification. It seemed she wanted me to share in the misery. 
  • Reply 6 of 30
    It’s iOS 11! First it killed my battery, then it slowed down my phone and now it’s bombarding me with notifications! I should have stayed on iOS 10!!

/s
    I wish it was only sarcasm.  There are people who actually believe that, along with the conspiracy theory that Apple is trying to make you upgrade by slowing your phone down. 
    mwhiteGeorgeBMacwilliamlondonthinkman@chartermi.netlolliver
  • Reply 7 of 30
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    CNN Fake News?
    macseekerSpamSandwichmwhite
  • Reply 8 of 30
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I must have been lucky, I did not get them, I got other notifications just not that one.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Actually CNN invested zero into the Mac notifications, you would get notifications all of the time from CNN, but when you clicked on one they never went to the actual articles, only the homepage!
    LukeCagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 30
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    foggyhill said:
    I believe its an Apple issue. I was receiving a ton of the same push notifications from another news source earlier this evening. I had to turn off notifications for the News app. I literally received close to 40 of the same notifications. 
    JaiOh81deepinsider
  • Reply 11 of 30
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I don't think it's an Apple issue. Granted, I don't subscribe to CNN, but I do with other news, and I have never ever got bombarded by them, with my notification for news are all on.
    macseeker
  • Reply 12 of 30
    I’m an Apple diehard but this was definitely on their end. I received a sht ton of notifications from the news app from faux noise about the SOTU. I got around 1 alert every 30 seconds or so. I shut off notifications for news and when I turned it back on a couple hours later it was fine. Glad it got sorted out. 
    williamlondondeepinsiderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Low-class CNN. Sad.
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 30
    CNN should’ve blamed the Hawaiians.
    mwhite
  • Reply 15 of 30

Looks like you'll get your wish with iOS 12, if stories are to be believed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 30
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    My goodness people complain about everything. Whether Apple or CNN it was a glitch. Some smart users that posted here turned off notifications for some time and turned it back on. Fine. What the hell have we become that we have to take to Twitter to complain. Goodness. 
    mwhiteGeorgeBMacwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    I got 3 notifications on my Mac. Thought I was seeing things.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    JaiOh81 said:
    I’m an Apple diehard but this was definitely on their end. I received a sht ton of notifications from the news app from faux noise about the SOTU. I got around 1 alert every 30 seconds or so. I shut off notifications for news and when I turned it back on a couple hours later it was fine. Glad it got sorted out. 
    I experienced the same with Faux News notifications this afternoon telling me over and over what Dems were boycotting the SOTU. Not sure why CNN, specifically, is being called out. It clearly happened with more than one news organization indicating Apple’s culpability. 
    GeorgeBMacdeepinsiderJaiOh81gatorguy
  • Reply 19 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,666member
    foggyhill said:
    Only Apple and CNN know for sure but the fact that CNN has gone on record as saying their logs only show one alert going out and that they are working with Apple to discover 'their' issue, leaves things very clear. If things weren't as CNN claims they would stand to lose far more in a PR sense.

Everything points to a glitch at Apple or somewhere along the route and the response from CNN was to set straight that the complaints to them and on the problem itself were ill founded and that everything was OK at their end.

It's not so much 'finger pointing' as a need to point out that the problem wasn't with them.

At least based on what we know today.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,666member
    kimberly said:
    That's right.  Nevertheless, wouldn't it be better for someone from the executive at CNN call a counterpart at Apple and discuss the repeated push notification issue with a view to issuing a joint public statement from both companies?  The root cause (CNN or Apple or both) can be addressed offline / internally so it doesn't happen again.
    The issue wasn't big or serious enough for that. Twitter is 'alive'. When negative comments start getting propagated you have to react in real time, which is basically what they did.