Google closes $1.1B HTC deal, setting up collision course with Apple's iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    zimmie said:
    Uh ... is this somehow different from their acquisition of Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion? They later sold it to Lenovo for $2.9 billion, taking a $9.6 billion loss.
    My thoughts exactly. This has real promise really?!? Gimme a break. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 47
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    zimmie said:
    Uh ... is this somehow different from their acquisition of Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion? They later sold it to Lenovo for $2.9 billion, taking a $9.6 billion loss.
    Definitely different.  Google bought Motorola Mobility for its patents.  Of course one may wonder if the patents were worth $9.6B
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 47
    Google’s biggest nightmare is Samsung. 

Samsung is destroying the market for Android wear smartwatches and Google is powerless to stop them. Tizen is the number two software platform for true smartwatches and outselling the rest of the android wear manufacturers combined. I actually own a Gear S3 with LTE. It is a very nice device. It is a bit bulky but the battery life is divine. It plays nicely with iOS also. Not as nice as it would with a Samsung smartphone, but android is google spyware and a total non-starter for me. 

Samsung’s long term goal is to replace Android with Tizen on all of their devices which would choke Android off completely. 

Google is literally scrambling at a very late stage. Samsung is pretty far ahead of the rest of the Android OEMs when it comes to hardware and about to put a lot of distance between themselves and Qualcomm when it comes to SOC performance. They already smash QCOM’s performance on the smartwatch platform. And Samsung has state of the art NAND, DRAM, and AMOLED technology. They may yet pull ahead in fabrication technology with their dedication to EUV lithography. QCOM is moving back to TSMC, but TSMC’s state of the art fabs will be building A series SOC’s exclusively. 

There’s no way for Google to take on Samsung. Google has to do what they can, but Samsung is a juggernaut here. And Samsung has big plans for the foldable OLED panels, a gigantic hardware advantage that Google has no access to and will take at least half a decade to catch up to. 

The Pixel sells a paltry number of phones. And Google’s move will only harden Samsung’s resolve to move even more rapidly to Tizen. The thing is that Samsung sells far more Tizen phones than Google sells Pixels. 

Did anyone notice how Google paid Samsung 4 billion to keep Google search the default engine on galaxy devices? It’s even more than Google had to bribe Apple with to keep their search the default on iOS. That’s actually a bad position to be in. And I doubt it’s something Google had even considered happening when they initially released Android. Unlike Microsoft with windows, where no OEM dominated hardware, Android is dominated by Samsung everywhere but China. And in China where Samsung does not dominate, Android is forked and Google play does not exist nor does Google search. 

Google is now in a fight for its life as Amazon is moving into advertising and firms are pulling their advertising budgets from Google search, moving those dollars to Amazon in order to better reach buyers. If an advertiser wants to reach me, they will have to advertise on Amazon. I use Duck Duck Go exclusively for search. And I buy from amazon. 

The price of amazon stock is accelerating while Alphabet’s stagnates. The market believes in Amazon and Bezos far more than Alphabet and Pichai. Samsung also had record profits, nearly all of it due to their dominance in hardware and components. 

Alphabet has Waymo which I find humorous. The technology is half baked and not even remotely ready for prime time. They aren’t making any profit from the technology and the technology is stolen by Uber. Not unlike how Schmidt stole iOS technology and incorporated it into android. The thing is that Apple was harmed by google. Google hasn’t been harmed by Uber in the slightest. And Google is suing Uber for potential loss of profits for a product that makes no actual money. It’s going to be hard for google to win this one. Karma bites hard. 

If Waymo is truly going to be the moonshot that guarantees Google dominance in a key technology, then why is Google so focused on fighting a losing battle with Samsung in smart devices? It is a battle that Google cannot win on any level. Those Korean scientists and engineers are relentless. Samsung won’t stop until the rest of the Android market is in total tatters. Tizen is already gaining large market share in India and Bangladesh. And if India is the best big thing after China, what Samsung is doing there is going to be a death knell for Android. Just wait until low cost Tizen phones have better OLED panels than state of the android devices. That day is coming and it isn’t very far off. 

Pichai hired porat to bring discipline to the company. From what I see, the company is in more disarray than it has ever been.  Purchasing HTC engineers isn’t going to do the slightest in competing with Samsung. It’s actually kind of comical really. Samsung will displace the Google assistant with Bixby long before Google gets decent OLED panels from LG. Samsung pay is already better than android pay. And Samsung’s Tizen watches are far ahead of any android wear device. If Samsung releases a foldable phone with Tizen, I will likely get one to complement my iPhone X. And that kind of hardware advantage won’t be duplicated by any other android manufacturer for a long time. Certainly not by the HTC engineering team Google is purchasing. 
  • Reply 44 of 47
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    cropr said:
    zimmie said:
    Definitely different.  Google bought Motorola Mobility for its patents.  Of course one may wonder if the patents were worth $9.6B
    The $9.6 billion figure doesn't take into account the nearly $3 billion in cash that Google got when it bought Motorola. It also doesn't take into account what Google got when it sold Motorola Home (which was sold separately from Motorola Mobility). On the other side, there are operational losses (while Google still owned the assets) to account for. Accounting for those things the real figure is more like $5 billion to $6 billion, which is more or less in line with how Google had originally valued the IP as part of the price it paid for Motorola. Google also had unrealized tax benefits associated with the Motorola Home transactions, but I won't try to figure their value.
    edited January 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 45 of 47

Samsung’s long term goal is to replace Android with Tizen on all of their devices which would choke Android off completely. 

Did anyone notice how Google paid Samsung 4 billion to keep Google search the default engine on galaxy devices? It’s even more than Google had to bribe Apple with to keep their search the default on iOS. That’s actually a bad position to be in.

Tizen is already gaining large market share in India and Bangladesh. And if India is the best big thing after China, what Samsung is doing there is going to be a death knell for Android.

Ok, Google is doomed, AGAIN!!! It is a bit funny, reading your "Google is doomed" comments. How long would you repeat this sentence "Samsung is going to replace Android with Tizen"? Any timelines? Until 2030? Could you please check with Samsung executives and let us know?

Google paid Samsung 4 billion to keep Google search the default engine on galaxy devices??? Any source to backup that claim?

Tizen is already gaining large market share in India??? Any source to backup that claim??? Btw, I am from India and Android rules to the tune of 99% devices and 1% for iOS!!! Even Samsung has given up selling Tizen phones NOW. But you are saying it is gaining marketshare in your wild imagination.

williamlondon
  • Reply 46 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Did anyone notice how Google paid Samsung 4 billion to keep Google search the default engine on galaxy devices? I doubt it’s something Google had even considered happening when they initially released Android. 

Google is now in a fight for its life
    It's actually $3.5B if it matters (according to the rumors you and I both read), and AFAIK this is a renewal of a previous licensing agreement from 2014.

Tizen? Yeah wonderful for their smartwatch, but that's a teeny-tiny market anyway in the grand scheme. The Apple Watch has little to worry about.
    On smartphones?  According to Strategy Analytics, Samsung sold 70,000 Tizen smartphones in the first quarter last year, with a market share of...
    0% globally. 

This is even worse performance than earlier in it's life, 2,900,000 units and .02% in 2015, falling to 980K units and .1% in 2016. Do you see a pattern? Hardly a successful strategy to go backwards. The number of smartphones shipping with Tizen is so negligible they don't even bother reporting about it anymore, thus it's not even mentioned in OS market share reports since early last year. Samsung is of course claiming Tizen will have a second life in IoT tho. 

I don't think any of the big techs are in a fight for their lives, not even Samsung with their failing Tizen smartphones...
    They're all doing OK, probably surviving at least till next year  :)
    edited January 2018 muthuk_vanalingam