How to stream Super Bowl LII on your iPhone, iPad or Apple TV

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2020
If you're a football fan looking to catch the Eagles play the Patriots on Sunday, there are a few options for watching on Apple devices without firing up a web browser on your Mac.

The most obvious method, of course, is the official NFL app. You can watch the Super Bowl for free on an iPhone or iPad -- the catch is that you can't use AirPlay, HDMI, or Google Cast to watch on a TV, even if you have NFL Game Pass or an authenticated cable/satellite subscription.

Some other mobile options include Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports app.

Things can become a bit trickier if you want to watch on an Apple TV. The NBC Sports app is one means, but you may or may not need a TV subscription. If NBC makes that a requirement -- it has flip-flopped in the past -- you might as well tune in directly.

"Directly" can mean a variety of things in 2018, though. There are a number of internet-based live TV services with Apple TV apps, such as Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, Hulu, and DirecTV Now. These are often cheaper than paying for a cable or satellite package, especially since they typically have free trials.

Just to make things complicated again, though, you'll have to doublecheck whether the Super Bowl is available in your ZIP code, and whether your particular channel bundle includes NBC Sports. With Sling, for example, you'll need Sling Blue to watch.

The Super Bowl kicks off this Sunday, Feb. 4, at 6:30 p.m. Eastern, 3:30 p.m. Pacific. The game will be played from U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minn.

Update: NBC tells AppleInsider that people will indeed be able to watch via the NBC Sports iOS and Apple TV apps without authentication.
cornchip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Am I missing something?  Is this year's Super Bowl not going to be broadcast over the air this year?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Am I missing something?  Is this year's Super Bowl not going to be broadcast over the air this year?
    It is. But the topic of this article is how to “stream” this years Super Bowl to your Apple device. People may not have access to cable, satellite, or over-the-air methods to watch for various reasons...
    ronn
  • Reply 3 of 17
    < How to stream Super Bowl LII on your iPhone, iPad or Apple TV class="Quote">
    I think you missed the intent of the article. This is a how to article, see title: "How to stream Super Bowl LII on your iPhone, iPad or Apple TV"
  • Reply 4 of 17
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I’m not a huge sports fan, but my wife is. Football, basketball, baseball, she is always following something.
    That said though, we were just talking about the Super Bowl this morning and she said she really wasn’t interested this year. She said she might check the score occasionally, but wasnt going to bother watching it. Most surprising because she’s from Minnesota. She grew up there and lived in the Twin Cities for most of her life and that’s where the game will be. Not sure why, but it seems like theres just generally a lot less buzz about it. Nobody at work is talking about it. They havent mentioned it on the radio. My wife didn’t bring it up. Honestly, I had forgotten that it was this Sunday until this article appeared.
    edited February 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 17
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    I'd rather eat glass than watch this game. Hate both teams. Was pulling for Minnesota to play at home.
    Henerik
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    If you can't see your comment, please re-read the Commenting Guidelines, with a link conveniently located at the bottom of the page.

In particular, the sections about unnecessarily inflammatory commentary.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 7 of 17
    DAalseth said:
    I’m not a huge sports fan, but my wife is. Football, basketball, baseball, she is always following something.
    That said though, we were just talking about the Super Bowl this morning and she said she really wasn’t interested this year. She said she might check the score occasionally, but wasnt going to bother watching it. Most surprising because she’s from Minnesota. She grew up there and lived in the Twin Cities for most of her life and that’s where the game will be. Not sure why, but it seems like theres just generally a lot less buzz about it. Nobody at work is talking about it. They havent mentioned it on the radio. My wife didn’t bring it up. Honestly, I had forgotten that it was this Sunday until this article appeared.
    Interesting choice to delete my previous comment. Let’s just say that the NFL has gone this route because their TV audience has dramatically shrunk due to reasons that everyone is aware of but may not be allowed to discuss.
    Henerik
  • Reply 8 of 17
    DAalseth said:
    Interesting choice to delete my previous comment. Let’s just say that the NFL has gone this route because their TV audience has dramatically shrunk due to reasons that everyone is aware of but may not be allowed to discuss.
    Be accurate, and don't make things political, in a tip, of all things. NFL ratings have been on the decline for years. This season is only slightly lower than last, but still lower.

Don't skirt moderation by talking in code. We've loosened up locked conversations in recent days, as you've seen and participated in. Don't make us regret it.

edited February 2018 ronn
  • Reply 9 of 17
    DAalseth said:
    Be accurate, and don't make things political, in a tip, of all things. NFL ratings have been on the decline for years. This season is only slightly lower than last, but still lower.

Don't skirt moderation by talking in code.

It’s lower for a reason and we’re all abundantly aware of the reason.

Also... “be accurate”? Is this a requirement now to post an opinion? I just came from a DED thread in which he vomited his political biases all over the place. His comments are riddled with factual inaccuracies.

Honestly, I cannot figure this place out anymore.
    edited February 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 10 of 17
    DAalseth said:

Don't skirt moderation by talking in code.

It’s lower for a reason and we’re all abundantly aware of the reason.

Also... “be accurate”? Is this a requirement now to post an opinion? I just came from a DED thread in which he vomited his political biases all over the place. His comments are riddled with factual inaccuracies.

Honestly, I cannot figure this place out anymore.
    You've had your say, and continue to talk in code about the subject.

This isn't a political thread, and you chose to make it one. Dan's editorial was, and as an experiment and test, we left it open.

Regarding this thread, I called you on making it political, and you're not stopping. Don't persist.
    edited February 2018 ronnSpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Is the SB only being broadcast in HD, or is there a way to watch in 4K from any particular source?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Is the SB only being broadcast in HD, or is there a way to watch in 4K from any particular source?
    That's a good question. I think that some of the local broadcasters might have it in 4K, but I don't know for sure.

I'm not aware of any streaming venues that will have it in 4K.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    No, the Super Bowl will not be broadcast in 4K anywhere unfortunately. The NFL is still stuck in 2010. I don't get why the NFL hasn't broadcast in 4K yet when all the other major sports in the country have. Heck, we even have Premier Leauge soccer games in 4K. The upcoming Olympics will be in 4K as well. 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Wow.. why does it seem so hard to watch American Football in America on Apple devices when you can watch almost every Premiereship, La Liga, Calcio Serie A games with BTsport Connect app (and it let you easily AirPlay to Apple TV)? Perplexing. 
  • Reply 15 of 17
    matrix077 said:
    Wow.. why does it seem so hard to watch American Football in America on Apple devices when you can watch almost every Premiereship, La Liga, Calcio Serie A games with BTsport Connect app (and it let you easily AirPlay to Apple TV)? Perplexing. 
    Don't even get me started on arcane blackout rules.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Great pic to use.....go birds!