Apple confirms HomePod audio sources limited to Apple Music, iTunes purchases, podcasts & ...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
In newly-published specifications, Apple has confirmed that streaming on the Siri-equipped HomePod -- shipping Feb. 9 -- will focus mainly on its own services.

The $349 device will foremost support Apple Music, Beats 1, and podcasts, purchases, and Match libraries from iTunes. The only way of streaming third-party media will be via AirPlay, even though the speaker incorporates Bluetooth 5.0.

iTunes Match compatibility was discovered earlier this week.

Since revealing the HomePod at last June's WWDC, Apple has made no bones about the product being Apple-centric, but until now it hadn't disclosed the full scope of functionality.

A lack of third-party music could be an obstacle for Apple in the smartspeaker market. Rival products from Amazon and Google not only support several services out of the box, but let users pick which one they want as default.

The company has geared much of its marketing around sound quality. Promotions have touted technologies like beamforming, and the use of dedicated amps for each of seven tweeters. In that sense the HomePod's main competition may be the $199 Sonos One and the $399 Google Home Max.
E’Tallitnics

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    Would it be too much to ask of a $350 mono speaker that it at least have an AUX audio input? Then it could play whatever the customer wants to play.
    aylkjahbladebonobobMplsPcroprstevenoz
  • Reply 2 of 106
    No Spotify is a dealbreaker for me. Maybe this will evolve by next holiday season.
    aylk
  • Reply 3 of 106
    It’ll eventually support 3rd party music service..
    mike1jahblade
  • Reply 4 of 106
    Perfect for me. I only use Apple Music and iTunes. Can't wait!
  • Reply 5 of 106
    Would it be too much to ask of a $350 mono speaker that it at least have an AUX audio input? Then it could play whatever the customer wants to play.
    Kinda defeats the purpose of their goal to make everything truly wireless. 🤷🏽‍♂️ They clearly made this to a specific cup of tea not be a jack of all trades. So yes, you’re asking too much. That the HomePod clearly isn’t for you.
    StrangeDaysuraharachiatmayjahbladelolliverwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 106
    Can't hardly wait for mine to arrive!!!   
    jahbladelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 106
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    It’ll eventually support 3rd party music service..
    Yep. It is not uncommon for Apple to gradually add 3rd-party support at a later date.
    Woldn't be surprised if it was announced at WWDC with implementation later in the year.
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 106
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Not mono. It has seven speakers and performs channel separation, including L and R. 

Next. 
    Notsofastmike1uraharachiamwhitejahbladelolliverwlymMacProcornchip
  • Reply 9 of 106
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    No Spotify is a dealbreaker for me. Maybe this will evolve by next holiday season.
    So what about all the other speakers that work only as end points for you to transmit audio to via app? Is everyone instantly unhappy now?

My sonos pals all use a Sonos app to send audio to their speakers. None of them have or expect a voice-only control interface. This was entirely a non-issue two weeks ago. But, Apple!
    mike1RobPalmer9lolliverwlymcornchipwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 106
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I'm torn by this. I really want wait for 2nd generation of the HomePod, but my heart says: it's now. damn it.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 106
    Has there been on any talk of the airplay functionality of it? Like from a tv, instead of just a standalone speaker for music? But this isn't a surprise about apple music. It will make me want to use it more that's for sure.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 106
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

air play from your phone or ipad. it just does not direct streaming support.
    lollivercornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 106
    Kinda defeats the purpose of their goal to make everything truly wireless. 🤷🏽‍♂️ They clearly made this to a specific cup of tea not be a jack of all trades. So yes, you’re asking too much. That the HomePod clearly isn’t for you.
    There is far more to be gained by making the HomePod more useful than by some religious need to make it "purely wireless". I have an excellent wireless speaker from WrenSound, which had the good sense to also include an audio input. It is just common sense to give the user a few choices. Especially when you are charging a lot more than your main competition.
    aylkzoetmbbonobobbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 14 of 106
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Ok this is clear is mud, can any confirm it will support your iTunes Library even if it does not include iTunes purchases. My entire library consisted of CD which I ripped over the last 20 yrs, I have not bought too many digital only songs from Apple iTunes store. This announcement makes it sound like only iTunes purchases are supported. I am assuming if i stream from my computer it will work. I am thinking if you have purchase it know what you purchase will play them via siri requests. My Homepod is due the 9th so i will see how it works, but a heads up would be nice.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 106
    fallenjt said:
    I'm torn by this. I really want wait for 2nd generation of the HomePod, but my heart says: it's now. damn it.
    Second generation won't be for several years.  There's  a reason they put an super powerful processor in it, the A8, that can get updates over the air.  Your safe buying now as the hardware in it is already top in industry so that won't need to change. 
    lollivercornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 106

Promotions have touted technologies like beamforming, and the use of dedicated amps for each of seven tweeters. In that sense the HomePod's main competition may be the $199 Sonos One and the $399 Google Home Max.
    Neither the Sonos One nor Google Home Max have beamforming. The Sonos One has one tweeter and the Google Home Max has two tweeters. The HomePod has seven tweeters. "In that sense", they are not competition to the HomePod.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 106
    maestro64 said:
    Ok this is clear is mud, can any confirm it will support your iTunes Library even if it does not include iTunes purchases. My entire library consisted of CD which I ripped over the last 20 yrs, I have not bought too many digital only songs from Apple iTunes store. It announcement make it sound like only iTunes purchases are supported. I am assuming if i stream from my computer it will work. I am thinking if you have purchase it know what you purchase will play them via siri requests. My Homepod is due the 9th so i will see how it works, but a heads up would be nice.
    Yes it will but you have to use iTunes Match and pay monthly.

Then its all accessible and you can even use Siri
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 106
    You could just buy another speaker! 

Not every product is going to work for you!
    RobPalmer9lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 106
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What difference does it make if the primary input is wireless.  Here is the problem when compared to an old fashioned stereo system, there is no malability.  That is zero potential to adapt to future technologies while remaing compatible with todays or even yesterdays tech.  

An old fashion amp and speaker system can hanfle audio from old sources like tape and vynl while just as easily handling audio from modern sources, even multi media sources.    In the end a buyer of this device is at risk of it becoming trash in a couple of years.  

I dont want to sound like an Apple hater as i have plenty of Apple hardware right now.   Ive just become very aware of how Apple "infrastructure" drains money from consumers.   While it might be acceptable for some to throw so much of their income at one company im no longer convinced of the wisdom in doing so.    At one time i thought iTunes with its movies and TV shows was a great resource, even here though my attitude has soured and as such a make a point to go with alternative cheaper sources when ever possible.   Apples new speaker will need more openess than it currently has and a flexibility to work off the grid, before i consider it.  By off the grid i mean with no internet connection to the wider world and handling the streams i want to send it.  
    aylkzoetmbbonobob
  • Reply 20 of 106
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Is it mono? That isn't how I've read the technical breakdown of how it works.

2) Why can't you play anywhere without a 3.5mm headphone jack? It does have wireless options. Hell, the most common speakers I see at the beach these days are battery powered with BT.

3) If you know Apple has removed the 3.5mm jack from iPhones why would anyone think that they'd include one on the HomePod? It anything I'd think we should be counting down the clock to when other Apple devices get their 3.5mm jack removed.
    edited February 2018 uraharalolliverwatto_cobra