Premium-priced iPhone X, iPhone 8 propel Apple to $88.3B in revenue in its best quarter ev...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member
    Jay7 said:
    iPhone sales were down about 1% y/y, but 1Q2018 was also a week shorter than 1Q2017. 13 weeks this year vice 14 last year. So, they sold 1% less phones in about 7% less time. If 1Q this year had the same number of weeks as last year, iPhone sales would have been up 5-6%.
    The other ignored point is that a lot of potential buyers would have been waiting for the iPhone X to be reviewed and available - and by the time it was - it was immediately backordered for weeks.

To my mind that means the demand is certainly still there and if they had been able to go to market with the X at the same time as the 8 this would have been an even crazier quarter.
    ronncornchiplollivermagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Yep. Headlines in the mainstream press will be iPhone sales are down. That’ll then be the takeaway for the casual viewer or reader. For perceived balance the news may also mention - near the end - that revenues are up. Too late by that point, the message they want to project will be out. Same as the battery throttle thing - message was “Apple admits...”. SOS. Same old ****

Apple continues to crush it. My shares look solid. Brilliant quarter. Still, for me, the most inspiring company bar none.
    cornchiplollivermagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 51
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    fallenjt said:
    slurpy said:
    Holy fucking shit...insane results.
    and AAPL will drop because investors said Apple sold less iPhone comparing to last year...yup. They will then go on saying that next quarter will be worse.

You are correct since it is a foreign concept on Wall Street for a company to sell less and make more profits. Their MBA educations has not taught them how this is possible. They only the learned in school is sell more widget to make more money and the race to the bottom is the only way to win the market share competition. The problem is Apple never showed up to the market share race.
    ronnjony0MisterKitcornchiplollivermagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 51
    shahhet2 said:
    It's a glass half full. As a shareholder I would like to see apple come out of this stagnant cycle of iPhone, iPad and Mac.
    If you see from other side, iPhone, iPad and Macbook sales are almost constant in terms of units sold over the 4 years.
    Yes ASP has went up. higher asp and higher service/other revenue helping apple beat earlier year's results.
    Growth has to come back into core products (iPhone, iPad and Mac) as there is limit to how much ASP can user afford.

I don’t understand your argument, as a share holder what would you like Apple to do that, there not doing, that would make them a more dominant and successful company? 
    StrangeDaysMisterKitlolliverJinTechwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Vergilius said:

The rumor from the past week that iPhone unit sales would be lower than projected was in fact true.

Like a typical ANALyst, Pulled that point right out of your *ss.  With a never, ever, before seen Average selling Price of about $796.42, it would Contradict that uninformed comment. ….So No, Not True
    You have terrible reading comprehension.  Says in the article iPhone sales were DOWN 1.2%.  This means they sold FEWER iPhones than the same quarter last year.  But yes the ASP was fantastic, and much better than expected.  Means lots of iPhone X and not a lot of iPhone 8
    No. My reading comprehension is very astute. Cherry picking information is NOT reading comprehension.
    As it has been pointed out, this was a 13 week quarter being compared to a 14 week quarter. So an Apples to Apples comparison and review, will yield about 5 to 6% MORE iPhones being sold. BUT don't Let FACTS get in the way of your trolling, please.
    ronnjony0lolliverLukeCagemagman1979equality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 51
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Here is a straight-up Troll from the Reuter:
    "Apple's second-quarter revenue forecast misses estimates, shares fall"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 51

No. My reading comprehension is very astute. Cherry picking information is NOT reading comprehension.
    As it has been pointed out, this was a 13 week quarter being compared to a 14 week quarter. So an Apples to Apples comparison and review, will yield about 5 to 6% MORE iPhones being sold. BUT don't Let FACTS get in the way of your trolling, please.
    Sorry, I think you are trying to twist the facts by extrapolating data.  The FACTS are (as the article says) "Overall iPhone sales, however, were down 1.2 percent year over year..."  The REASON might be that the quarter was shorter than last year, but that does not change facts.

avon b7
  • Reply 28 of 51
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    mavemufc said:
    Any Apple fan knew this was going to be the biggest quarter in their history, I’m glad all the rumours were false! Also good to see the iPad sales increase, and hopefully the same this year once the new Pros are released.
    What rumors were false. Everyone assumed the holiday quarter would be a blowout. But Wall Street estimated 65B revenue for March quarter and Apple guided between 60-62B.
    I think they're referring to the rumors of iPhone X not selling very well. 
    StrangeDaysronnlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 51
    So, Apple's average selling price for iPhone was $796, up from $695 in year-ago quarter. Also this “We’re thrilled to report the biggest quarter in Apple’s history, with broad-based growth that included the highest revenue ever from a new iPhone lineup. iPhone X surpassed our expectations and has been our top-selling iPhone every week since it shipped in November,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. 

Where are all the so called “analyst” who were spouting nonsense about how the iPhone X was selling poorly. Here’s proof that you guys made up numbers and don’t know anything about Apples suppliers or much about how difficult it is manage a supply chain. 
    ronnlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 51
    mavemufc said:
    Any Apple fan knew this was going to be the biggest quarter in their history, I’m glad all the rumours were false! Also good to see the iPad sales increase, and hopefully the same this year once the new Pros are released.
    What rumors were false. Everyone assumed the holiday quarter would be a blowout. But Wall Street estimated 65B revenue for March quarter and Apple guided between 60-62B.
    Hmm maybe all the rumors of the past two weeks claiming the X was a failure and would soon be canceled? Maybe those rumors?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 51
    After hour trading:

173.80 +6.02 (3.59%)
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 51
    “How in the world do you sell less and earn more?” ~ All the others
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 51
    macxpress said:
    mavemufc said:
    I think they're referring to the rumors of iPhone X not selling very well. 
    Yep, that was BS.
  • Reply 35 of 51

fallenjt said:
    Here is a straight-up Troll from the Reuter:
    "Apple's second-quarter revenue forecast misses estimates, shares fall"
    That’s comical. Of all the things they could have focused on they chose Wall Street analysts revenue estimate for next quarter. Good grief.
    cornchip
  • Reply 36 of 51
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    fallenjt said:
    slurpy said:
    Holy fucking shit...insane results.
    and AAPL will drop because investors said Apple sold less iPhone comparing to last year...yup. They will then go on saying that next quarter will be worse.
    Yep. Headlines in the mainstream press will be iPhone sales are down. That’ll then be the takeaway for the casual viewer or reader. For perceived balance the news may also mention - near the end - that revenues are up. Too late by that point, the message they want to project will be out.
    Exactly. Which is why I've been clamouring for years now that Apple has to STOP giving unit sales at earnings call, they always get dinged by WS for it, in spite of better revenues and profits. The unit numbers are usually downgrade fodder when they're not met and rarely reason of the rare upgrade even if exceeded.

Let WS ponder on revenues, profits and other dollar issues relevant to AAPL, just like all the other companies. For those of us who would like to gloat, Apple can still release unit sales but deferring shortly after IDC & Gartner continual downward guesstimates to further demonstrate that they don't get it either.
    edited February 2018 cornchipequality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 51
    And this is how they reported Amazon:

Amazon blew past street estimates for its fourth quarter earnings, reflecting strong holiday sales and growth in its cloud business.

Here are the most important numbers:

• Revenue: $60.5 billion vs. $59.83 billion, as estimated, according to Thomson Reuters
    • EPS: $3.75 per share*
    • AWS revenue: $5.11 billion vs. $4.97 billion, as estimated, according to FactSet

cornchip
  • Reply 38 of 51
    This quarter was 13 weeks instead of 14 weeks! if you divide quarter sales of 77.3 million iPhones by 13 then multiply by 14 weeks, If the quarter had been 14 weeks like last year. iPhone sales would have reached 83.2 Million! a huge beat!
    cornchiplollivermagman1979equality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 51
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Well, I forecast Amazon and Google to increase revenue by 1% next quarter and Apple by 100% next quarter. It's easy to do that, and then praise heaps Amazon and Google for beating the estimation, while doom Apple for fail it again.

Life is fair and sunshine.
    cornchiplollivermagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Yep. Headlines in the mainstream press will be iPhone sales are down. That’ll then be the takeaway for the casual viewer or reader. For perceived balance the news may also mention - near the end - that revenues are up. Too late by that point, the message they want to project will be out. Same as the battery throttle thing - message was “Apple admits...”. SOS. Same old ****

Apple continues to crush it. My shares look solid. Brilliant quarter. Still, for me, the most inspiring company bar none.
    AAPL up over $5 in after-hours trading, but who knows what madness will unfold tomorrow...
    equality72521watto_cobra