YouTube TV arrives on Apple TV after months-long delay

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
YouTube on Thursday launched its live TV streaming service, YouTube TV, on Apple TV, making good on promises made last year to deliver the product to Apple's set-top devices.

Google-owned YouTube unveiled YouTube TV for Apple TV in a surprise post to Twitter, saying, "Hey @AppleTV users, check the app store."

A follow-up tweet included a looping GIF image featuring a Duke basketball game, one of many live sports options available through YouTube TV.

And there it is! We are happy to announce you can now use YouTube TV on @AppleTV.

Try it now https://t.co/OWpJ6AL7S7 pic.twitter.com/9t31aHfFlv

— YouTube TV (@YouTubeTV)

YouTube TV on Apple TV arrives just hours after company representatives told media outlets that the service would support Apple's hardware "very soon." Earlier today, YouTube TV rolled out for Roku devices, another platform for which YouTube promised support last year.

Google planned to deliver YouTube TV to Apple TV devices shortly after an October debut on Android TV and Xbox One devices, but the company missed its goal. In December, YouTube modified its expected launch timeline to the first quarter of 2018.

Unlike traditional YouTube channels, which serve up pre-recorded content, YouTube TV streams live TV to compatible devices. The U.S.-only service costs $35 per month and is now available on a range of platforms including iOS, Android and certain smart TV sets.

Subscribers get access to live television shows from major broadcast networks like ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox, as well as certain sports and cable channels. Add-on plans are available for an extra fee and include networks like Showtime and Fox Soccer Plus. Unlike competing offerings, however, YouTube's cord-cutting option does not include popular properties owned by Turner and Viacom, such as CNN and the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Garbage company. They have to be kidding, $35 per month?!!!! ROFLOL
    christopher126lolliverGeorgeBMacravnorodomwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    I agree with the comment above about the cost. I would have to delve much more into exactly what is offered (though it is HIGHLY unlikely to appeal to me — I like certain shows but do not need anything to be “live” since I’m not a sportsball buff), but at first glance $35/month is just waaaaaaaay too much. Hey Google: there’s a reason why so many people are cutting the cable cord, and garbage programming isn’t the primary reason — it’s cost.
    lolliverGeorgeBMacravnorodomAirunJaewatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 23
    chasm said:
    I agree with the comment above about the cost. I would have to delve much more into exactly what is offered (though it is HIGHLY unlikely to appeal to me — I like certain shows but do not need anything to be “live” since I’m not a sportsball buff), but at first glance $35/month is just waaaaaaaay too much. Hey Google: there’s a reason why so many people are cutting the cable cord, and garbage programming isn’t the primary reason — it’s cost.
    It depends on whether you use family sharing or not.

YouTube TV has family sharing like all other Google play products. 

This means that 6 people can have their own independent YouTube TV if they are in the same family group. I am using it because I share with my brothers and they like to watch TV and 35 dollars for 3 people is cheaper than having 2 basic Comcast cable subscriptions.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    I think I can finally watch F1 with this service?
    JWSCkingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 5 of 23
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    What?!!  No Cartoon Network?  No sale!  😉
    AirunJae
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Call me an optimist, but I like Apple’s play here. Letting all these other companies come to the market first let’s them watch and figure out the best and worst aspects of these services. At the same time, having others offering this service will make it easier on Apple to enter the fray when it’s ready, since the media companies are determined to prevent another iTunes “monopoly” from occurring. The other option is Apple buys one of these streaming services outright when they are ready to get in. I’m guessing that whatever Apple does offer for streaming video will end up being a little more unique than what we are seeing now...
    edited February 2018 JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    It’s saying $39.99 a month when I go to sign up. Why s this article saying  $35?
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So, for $35 a month:  "Subscribers get access to live television shows from major broadcast networks like ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox"

With the possible exception of some Fox stuff, aren't those all public broadcasters that you can pick up free with a one time cost of $35 for a digital antenna?

Gee!  What a deal!  I'll jump right on that one!  /s
    AirunJaejohn.bpalominewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    So, for $35 a month:  "Subscribers get access to live television shows from major broadcast networks like ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox"

With the possible exception of some Fox stuff, aren't those all public broadcasters that you can pick up free with a one time cost of $35 for a digital antenna?

Yeah, but you can't DVR those live shows with your antenna.

Soon at home I will be 'cutting the cord' and ditching cable. There's an all-fiber provider making their way through Lincoln, Neb., and as soon as they hook me up I'm giving TimeWarner the boot. We'll be able to watch basically the same things we watch now for about half the cost.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    This thread seems a good place to draw attention to this article regarding YouTube's dubious algorithms.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/02/how-youtubes-algorithm-distorts-truth
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    andyring said:
    Yeah, but you can't DVR those live shows with your antenna.

Why not?  I can record any OTA content on a TiVo, and watch it live or later, on any iPad or iPhone anywhere in the world.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 12 of 23
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member

BROADCAST

• ABC
    • CBS
    • The CW
    • FOX
    • NBC

SPORTS

• Big Ten Network
    • CBS Sports Network
    • Comcast RSN (regional)
    • ESPN
    • ESPN2
    • ESPNews, ESPNU
    • Fox RSN (regional)
    • FS1
    • FS2
    • Golf Channel
    • NBCSN
    • NESN
    • SEC Network
    • Tennis Channel
    • YES Network

ENTERTAINMENT & LIFESTYLE

• AMC
    • BBC America
    • Bravo, Chiller
    • E!, Freeform
    • FX
    • FXM
    • FXX
    • IFC
    • Nat Geo
    • Nat Geo Wild
    • Oxygen
    • SundanceTV
    • SyFy
    • Universal HD
    • USA
    • YouTube Red Originals
    • WE tv

NEWS

• BBC World News
    • CNBC
    • Fox Business
    • Fox News
    • MSNBC
    • Newsy

KIDS

• Disney Channel
    • Disney Junior
    • Disney XD
    • Universal Kids

SPANISH LANGUAGE

• Universo
    • Telemundo

PREMIUM CHANNELS (Additional charge)

• SHOWTIME
    • Shudder
    • Sundance Now
    • Fox Soccer Plus
    That took 10 seconds and a Google search...
    bigmushroom
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Plus Unlimited DVR: “You can record as many programs as you want at the same time, without ever running out of storage space. We’ll even keep each recording for 9 months. Stream from your library anywhere in the U.S.”
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jcs2305 said:

BROADCAST

• ABC
    • CBS
    • The CW
    • FOX
    • NBC

SPORTS

• Big Ten Network
    • CBS Sports Network
    • Comcast RSN (regional)
    • ESPN
    • ESPN2
    • ESPNews, ESPNU
    • Fox RSN (regional)
    • FS1
    • FS2
    • Golf Channel
    • NBCSN
    • NESN
    • SEC Network
    • Tennis Channel
    • YES Network

• AMC
    • BBC America
    • Bravo, Chiller
    • E!, Freeform
    • FX
    • FXM
    • FXX
    • IFC
    • Nat Geo
    • Nat Geo Wild
    • Oxygen
    • SundanceTV
    • SyFy
    • Universal HD
    • USA
    • YouTube Red Originals
    • WE tv

NEWS

• BBC World News
    • CNBC
    • Fox Business
    • Fox News
    • MSNBC
    • Newsy

KIDS

• Disney Channel
    • Disney Junior
    • Disney XD
    • Universal Kids

SPANISH LANGUAGE

• Universo
    • Telemundo

• SHOWTIME
    • Shudder
    • Sundance Now
    • Fox Soccer Plus
    Glad to hear that you learned how to do a Google Search!
    But, the article said:    "Subscribers get access to live television shows from major broadcast networks like  ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox"

So, unless you are contradicting the article, what's your point?

• Reply 15 of 23
    Damn all of you people are cheap!

I'm no millionaire... but $35 a month barely even registers... especially for something I'll use every day. (If you don't watch much TV that's something altogether different)

With Verizon I was paying ~$250 per month for my cable package and internet.  I recently moved and decided to "cut the cord"... I'm now paying $60 for internet and $35 (extra) dollars to add live TV to Hulu.  That's a HUGE savings over what I was paying!

$35:
     - Two movie tickets and popcorn for 2 hours of entertainment
     - One dinner out with your SO at a mediocre restaurant
     - A bunch of wings from a good wing place to watch football
     - One 2m Lightning to USB-C cable
     - Parking in Downtown Boston for one day
     - A tank of gas

Or: An entertainment package that gives you ~40 live channels + an essentially infinite supply of VOD entertainment for a whole month...

I don't get it.

Bash Youtube TV because you don't like the interface... or you don't like the quality of the streams... or any other valid reason... but complaining about $35 is ridiculous...

gatorguy
  • Reply 16 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    MacPro said:
    This thread seems a good place to draw attention to this article regarding YouTube's dubious algorithms.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/02/how-youtubes-algorithm-distorts-truth
    Umm, how is that pertinent to the TV product? 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 17 of 23
    jcs2305 said:

BROADCAST

• ABC
    • CBS
    • The CW
    • FOX
    • NBC

SPORTS

• Big Ten Network
    • CBS Sports Network
    • Comcast RSN (regional)
    • ESPN
    • ESPN2
    • ESPNews, ESPNU
    • Fox RSN (regional)
    • FS1
    • FS2
    • Golf Channel
    • NBCSN
    • NESN
    • SEC Network
    • Tennis Channel
    • YES Network

• AMC
    • BBC America
    • Bravo, Chiller
    • E!, Freeform
    • FX
    • FXM
    • FXX
    • IFC
    • Nat Geo
    • Nat Geo Wild
    • Oxygen
    • SundanceTV
    • SyFy
    • Universal HD
    • USA
    • YouTube Red Originals
    • WE tv

NEWS

• BBC World News
    • CNBC
    • Fox Business
    • Fox News
    • MSNBC
    • Newsy

KIDS

• Disney Channel
    • Disney Junior
    • Disney XD
    • Universal Kids

SPANISH LANGUAGE

• Universo
    • Telemundo

• SHOWTIME
    • Shudder
    • Sundance Now
    • Fox Soccer Plus
    Glad to hear that you learned how to do a Google Search!
    But, the article said:    "Subscribers get access to live television shows from major broadcast networks like  ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox"

So, unless you are contradicting the article, what's your point?

You were unaware there were any other channels involved so the posts seems perfectly proper. So that's the point: You didn't know and now you do. 

As for even the live TV channels I live fairly close to a major metro with stations covering all the major broadcasters, a couple dozen all within 35 miles, but still have problems with certain ones depending on their direction from me and the obstructions involved. Out of three ABC stations I can get one. Only one CBS too and that one is iffy, occasionally just a pixel puzzle. Having live channels included with my internet-provided streaming package is a welcome thing. My current streaming provider doesn't offer CBS or NBC tho,  and I particularly like the new Star Trek Discovery (CBS). 

But I don't have plans for subscribing to YouTube TV myself. For me Sling is still the better match for the channels my family enjoys. Options are good. It wasn't all that long ago I only had two: Either an antenna or one single cable TV provider for the entire area. DirectTV isn't an option for me even now, no clear path to the Southwest sky. 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 18 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:

Last time I checked it's the same company.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:

Last time I checked it's the same company.  
    Oh, gotcha. It's not pertinent. 
  • Reply 20 of 23
    KCharlesRossKCharlesRoss Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Good grief there are some ignorant comments here. YouTube TV is a cable-replacement service. It provides several dozen cable channels, including more sports channels than I could ever watch. It has unlimited DVR service and can be watched anywhere. I eliminated cable TV, went to internet-only and YouTube TV for a total cost of @ $100/month.