Apple activates repair program for iPhone 7 models impacted by 'No Service' issue

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2018
Apple on Friday initiated a repair program for iPhone 7 devices affected by an issue that caused a "No Service" message to display in the status bar even when cellular network coverage is available, saying a faulty logic board component is to blame for the error.

As noted on a webpage dedicated to the new program, Apple determined a "small percentage" of iPhone 7 devices may be impacted by the "No Service" error message. The company is offering to repair affected devices for free, or reimburse customers for repair charges paid as a result of the issue.

Apple has narrowed the component flaw down to a batch of iPhone 7 units manufactured between September 2016 and February 2018 and sold in China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macao and the U.S. According to supplied information, model numbers eligible for the repair program are A1660 or A1780 in China, A1660 in Hong Kong, Macao and the U.S., and A1779 in Japan. Model number markings can be found on an iPhone's rear chassis below the "iPhone" logo.

Users who believe their iPhone 7 is experiencing the "No Service" issue should take the device in to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple retail store for inspection. Alternatively, customers can contact Apple Technical Support for further information.

Those who already paid to repair their device as a result of "No Service" faults will be reimbursed. Apple is currently sending out emails to customers on record, but users who have not received a message by the end of March 2018 are urged to contact Apple through the firm's support service.

Whether the problem is related to a similar "No Service" glitch discovered in September is unclear. At the time, users affected by the issue complained their unit entered an unusable state after switching out of Airplane Mode. AppleInsider sources said the problem was likely attributable to a slightly askew SIM card.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Exact same happened to father's 6S at 13 mos. in early 2017, now having purchased a X in early December ('17), dealing with a broken / inoperable device incapable of performing Face ID (NOTE: This is NOT me). Have NO idea why this issue hasn't received any attention. :/
    edited February 2018 wbm
  • Reply 2 of 26
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    Exact same happened to father's 6S at 13 mos. in early 2017, now having purchased a X in early December ('17), dealing with a broken / inoperable device incapable of performing Face ID (NOTE: This is NOT me). Have NO idea why this issue hasn't received any attention. :/
    What is his wireless service provider? 
    wbm
  • Reply 3 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

As noted on a webpage dedicated to the new program, Apple ...

Why are they hiding that webpage?
    https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair

• Reply 4 of 26
    I’ve been getting the No Service problem on my 6-plus, even this week. Clearly a software issue they’re pretending doesn’t exist. Usual apple bs. 
  • Reply 5 of 26
    MorkMork Posts: 22member
    I’m glad Apple is fixing this for free but, they have had other failures like the iPhone 4/s wifi not connecting and never admitted fault, so my old phone was scrapped.
    With billions in profit, it seems quite unfair.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I’ve been getting the No Service problem on my 6-plus, even this week. Clearly a software issue they’re pretending doesn’t exist. Usual apple bs. 
    blah blah blah blah
    bshankracerhomie3
  • Reply 7 of 26
    sergioz said:
    What is his wireless service provider? 
    The wireless service provider should not matter. Face ID issues are related to the front facing camera or the ir emitter. If your X's Face ID does not work after erasing and setting it up as new, then it's a hardware issue and should be replaced under warranty as long as there was no physical or liquid damage on the device. 
    bshankracerhomie3
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Apple literally said it is a hardware issue for iPhone 7. The fact that you have a 6s is irrelevant to this repair program. 
    bshankracerhomie3
  • Reply 9 of 26
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I can't read the print on the back of my space grey iPhone 7.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Never had such issues .
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Mork said:
    I’m glad Apple is fixing this for free but, they have had other failures like the iPhone 4/s wifi not connecting and never admitted fault, so my old phone was scrapped.
    You do realize there are 1.3 billion Apple devices out there.
    If it was a real issue, you would hear people whining all over the Tech media.I personally handled 4 iPhone 4 s & 3 iPhone 4S s .They never had such issues.I actually have friends who still use iPhone 4 & 4S.
    Your phone might have had water damage.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 12 of 26
    wbmwbm Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    Same thing happened to my father's 6s+.  He had had it about 20 months, and then started complaining about it.  I would send him text messages with links to our web app.  About 50% of the time, he would tell me that safari couldn't load it.  I checked out his phone and the problem happened about 50% of the time.  He could be on wifi, just on lte, whatever, and it would happen.  I never had the time to chase it down.  We got him an X and are not able to repeat.

I have a 7+ and do not have the issue at this time.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    k2kw said:
    I can't read the print on the back of my space grey iPhone 7.
    Go to settings then general then go to about then go down to model touch that and it will tell you what model you have.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    MorkMork Posts: 22member
    Mork said:
    You do realize there are 1.3 billion Apple devices out there.
    If it was a real issue, you would hear people whining all over the Tech media.I personally handled 4 iPhone 4 s & 3 iPhone 4S s .They never had such issues.I actually have friends who still use iPhone 4 & 4S.
    Your phone might have had water damage.
    No damage, no water, this is a quote from ifixit...

A few days ago I spoke to a apple tech that explained to me that it is now a well known problem. It is a issue with a large batch of chips. 

Google wifi problems with iphone 4/s, many fixes that don’t work or if they do the problem comes back, it was a chip/board fault. 
  • Reply 15 of 26

Could some of our friends out there help!!
    Could some of the insiders tell the brothers & sisters enslaved by our tech giants, tell us if the iphone battery replacement program involved actual, physical replacement of the li battery in the iphone 7? or was is a simple software tweak? 
    Could some of the tech insider tell us if the factory software upgrades to our iphones can still disable (err 53, news in feb 2016) our iphones when the software identify repairs done that wasn't performed by apple stores? because that would be scary since by disabling our phones, the tech giant could potentially hold the data in our iPhone from us users, effectively holding us hostage, unable to access our own data! unless we pay again and again to regain our OWN data! <I paid over $1,000 on 18 Feb 2017, and they want me to another $199 to have a workable iphone to access my own data? where is the justice?? Could someone tell me if the home button on the iphone 7 IS actually an integral part of the screen on iphone 7? and suspect that the home button with a finger print chip on it was NOT swapped during screen change, and the Apple rep COULD be misleading me by claiming that the Home button was replaced during the screen replacement I did overseas.. I would really appreciate any help from out there. And I believe that the tech giants we developed some admiration for, are really truly trying to abuse their positions and bully us consumers to pay unreasonable $$ to them!

I had a peculiar situation at an apple store today Feb. 3 2018. Went to do a battery swap on the APPLE's redemption program after APPLE's recent infamous below the belt software infused battery slow down with questionable intentions. After waiting almost 2 hours for the battery swap, the store sent a rep to inform me that the battery was replaced with new parts, but the home button no longer works, and since the home button IS part of the screen, AND that the screen on my phone was replaced at non apple store overseas, they will only repair the home button at a cost of $199+ tax to me, the user; although the APPLE rep acknowledged that the home button was working prior to the battery replacement, she said the store policy would not allow her to repair the defect without a fee of $199+tx. ; we agreed to revert the battery replacement and I was hopping that the reversion would possibly fix the situation with the home button, because I really cannot comprehensive how a non-moving part of the static home button on a iphone 7 could be damaged from a simple battery replacement!
  • Reply 16 of 26
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Had same issue twice with my wife's 6+.  First time they warrantied it, second time they sold me a $350 off warranty replacement.  Both times told us it was her fault that it kept happening.  
  • Reply 17 of 26
    sanssans Posts: 58member
    Alternatively, customers can in September is unclear.
    Very unclear.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Had this just happen to my iPhone 7 this January, 14 months after I bought it (of course).  Had to pay repair costs, but I guess I'll try to get reimbursed through this program.  The issue manifested itself in that the phone was working in the morning, all of a sudden said "No Service" and then would burn through it's battery very quickly, presumably attempting to connect to the cellular network.  Could not resolve the issue through normal troubleshooting resets, restores, etc.  Genius indicated that this had occurred in some phones early in their life cycle, but said there were no known issues when I brought mine in.  He confirmed through diagnostics a hardware failure.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    So Apple issued me a new iPhone 7 after no service issue. Could not activate so back to the Apple Store. According to carrier after 2 hours of activation trouble shooting, it is a bad phone! Ironically I had leased a replacement phone, iPhone 8, 2 months ago when no service issues originally started as both Apple and carrier would not resolve! Seems Apple quality is diminishing. It never was a carrier issue! I am going to demand a iPhone 8 as I suspect Apple is not actually repairing them... Apple employee that gave me the phone said it was brand new 
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Chris80Chris80 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    after repair my phone no longer registers as a verizon device, anyone has this problem? i'm getting the run around between verizon and apple, phone registers as a trac phone. If anyone has a solution please help, thank you.