Next-gen 6.1-inch LCD iPhone again predicted to outsell OLED models

Posted:
in iPhone
KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes consumer demand for a next-generation 6.1-inch LCD iPhone will outpace that of two OLED models rumored to debut during this fall's refresh cycle, buoying suppliers of LCD panels, aluminum chassis and other related components.

In a trio of notes seen by AppleInsider, Kuo says anticipation for this year's iPhone X led to a dismal outlook on the future of LCD models, but a rumored 6.1-inch LCD model could reshape sentiment in 2018.

Specifically, Kuo believes share pullbacks of the LCD supply chain over the trailing year have priced in concerns about growing OLED competition. Further, if Apple does release a 6.1-inch LCD iPhone model with full-screen display, as rumors suggest, the potential for sales growth will positively affect suppliers like LCD manufacturer Japan Display.

High demand for an LCD model will also boost shipments of aluminum frames manufactured by longtime partner Catcher, Kuo says. Previously, Kuo predicted Catcher to supply stainless steel frames for Apple's 2018 iPhone lineup, but the firm's role has apparently shifted to aluminum parts bound for an LCD model.

Apple is rumored to add two new OLED models to its iPhone lineup this fall including a 5.8-inch iPhone X replacement. A 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus" with a panel manufactured by LG is also supposedly in the works, but Kuo in his note today suggested the South Korean firm might not be able to meet Apple's production standards on time.

Kuo's note reiterates predictions aired last month, when the analyst said he expects the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone model to account for 50 percent of new handset shipments in 2018.

Finally, Kuo predicts all 2018 iPhones will boast logic boards built on substrate-like PCB
(SLP) technologies first adopted by iPhone X and iPhone 8. The 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED iPhone models will sport stacked board designs like iPhone X, while the 6.1-inch LCD model will stick to a traditional single-layer layout, Kuo says.

As far as specifications, Kuo believes manufacturers will adopt a finer pitch of 28-30 nanometers, down from the 30-35 nanometers applied to 2017 phones, as part of efforts to reduce PCB size and improve energy efficiency. The analyst sees three SLP producers -- Umimcron, ZDT and Ibiden -- as gaining significant ground with this year's orders.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I sure hope the rumor of the 6.1" LCD is true -- because I've already decided that will be my next phone!
    deepinsider78Banditwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Looking forward to the LCD version. Hope they make one with the overall size format of the iPhone 8.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Just like the best selling model this cycle's been the OLED model?
    AvieshekJFC_PAnetmage
  • Reply 4 of 43
    It would be cheap, that’s the reason.
    pbrutto
  • Reply 5 of 43
    I will want the flagship model. The only thing I really didn’t care for in this round was the comprises of structure of the glass back so wireless charging could be realized. I would not have used the WiFi charging feature. Everything else was very exciting to me. If I decide to wait for the next round, the 6.5 X will be my preference for sure for sure. My purchases in past were, 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s plus.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Avieshek said:
    Previous rumors have pegged it at $700-$800. How is that cheap?
  • Reply 7 of 43
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    I observed that at work,in Gym,in mall,every where I see more female have 4.7" and in while color iPhone, So, whatever iPhones Apple offers in future, make sure to keep that around 4.7" frame size. No need to be courageous when something works well, don't fix it to break. If Apple somehow produces LCD version of 4.7" FRAME iPhone X, I am sure it can easily be run-off success like what is predicted for 6.1" LCD iPhone X. Majority of people want more screen area to work with but not so large frame.
    edited February 2018 Anilu_777GeorgeBMacairnerd
  • Reply 8 of 43
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Avieshek said:
    Vs the current iPhone X price points. He was looking at Apple v Apple competition. 
    williamlondonlevipbruttoGeorgeBMacAvieshekwatto_cobraairnerd
  • Reply 9 of 43
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    a great article would be keeping track of this guy's predictions and the end result
    magman1979
  • Reply 10 of 43
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    If the LCD model has as good of a camera system as the best OLED phone, then I’d go with the LCD phone. But I don’t want to compromise on camera quality. 
    netmagemagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 43
    JFC_PA said:
    Avieshek said:
    Vs the current iPhone X price points. He was looking at Apple v Apple competition. 
    I still wouldn’t call it cheap.
    pbruttowilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 43
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    In further breaking news, $40K Mercedes C-Class outsells $100K S-Class. [/s]
    magman1979watto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 13 of 43
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    wood1208 said:
    I observed that at work,in Gym,in mall,every where I see more female have 4.7" and in while color iPhone
    My observation (not in gyms) is exactly the opposite: the Plus size screen, whether from Apple or not, seems much more popular with female than male users. Men don't want oversized phones in their pockets, whereas it makes no difference for women to carry them in purses.
    edited February 2018 netmagetycho_macusertokyojimujahblade
  • Reply 14 of 43
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    The top end lineup for next Fall is going to be interesting. How high will Apple go here with the 6.5” OLED? Are the going to continue to sell the 2017 iPhone X? Are they going to have iPhone 9 models?

They could go with the higher priced lineup like this:
    $1200 iPhone X w/6.5” display
    $1000 iPhone X w/5.8” display
    $900 iPhone X 2017 model $800 iPhone w/6.1” display (iPhone 9?) $700 iPhone 8 Plus $600 iPhone 8 $600 iPhone 7 Plus $500 iPhone 7 $400 iPhone SE

If they think $1000 is the top end price tier, the 2017 iPhone X model has to go away. This would be so much more palatable:

$1000 iPhone X w/6.5” display
    $900 iPhone X w/5.8” display $800 iPhone w/6.1” display (iPhone 9?) $700 iPhone 8 Plus $600 iPhone 8 $600 iPhone 7 Plus $500 iPhone 7 $400 iPhone SE
    A $1100 to $1200 base price for the high end model, plus $150 for max storage would be pretty hard to swallow.

Argh. Code tag looks perfect in the editor.
    edited February 2018 Anilu_777tmay
  • Reply 15 of 43
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Avieshek said:
    Cheap for an Apple full screen phone. IPX doesn’t work with Apple’s current strategy of selling last year’s model at $100 discount. 1) $100 off doesn’t it make it cheap enough for mass market 2) Anyone willing to shell out money for a premium phone is not interested in last year’s model/tech. The LCD model will be the new 8 - albeit at a slight premium - and the 8 will be this year’s 7, selling at $100 or more discount. IP7 may also remain available.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    NY1822 said:
    a great article would be keeping track of this guy's predictions and the end result
    Sure, but we already have a pretty good sense re: accuracy. Ok to fairly good on supply chain and product announcements; less so re: sales projections. Kuo seems to be one of the few analysts with any insight into supply chain. It’s something to be appreciated.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    i’d like to know if AI subscribes to KGI notes and receives at the same time as his investor customers, or if AI is seeded with them in a different sequence. I’d like to know if KGI is using the rumors sites as part of his pump & dump strategies or if the reporting is a byproduct.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 43
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    tht said:
    The top end lineup for next Fall is going to be interesting. How high will Apple go here with the 6.5” OLED? Are the going to continue to sell the 2017 iPhone X? Are they going to have iPhone 9 models?

They could go with the higher priced lineup like this:
    $1200 iPhone X w/6.5” display
    $1000 iPhone X w/5.8” display
    $900 iPhone X 2017 model $800 iPhone w/6.1” display (iPhone 9?) $700 iPhone 8 Plus $600 iPhone 8 $600 iPhone 7 Plus $500 iPhone 7 $400 iPhone SE

If they think $1000 is the top end price tier, the 2017 iPhone X model has to go away. This would be so much more palatable:

$1000 iPhone X w/6.5” display
    $900 iPhone X w/5.8” display $800 iPhone w/6.1” display (iPhone 9?) $700 iPhone 8 Plus $600 iPhone 8 $600 iPhone 7 Plus $500 iPhone 7 $400 iPhone SE
    A $1100 to $1200 base price for the high end model, plus $150 for max storage would be pretty hard to swallow.

Argh. Code tag looks perfect in the editor.
    A 6.5 inch iPhone at the high end w/Pencil support would be an iPad Mini Pro for all practical purposes, but with a potential for unlimited data compared to cellular plans for iPad.

Make it so, Phil.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 43
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    Avieshek said:
    This is my prediction for pricing.  The lcd version will be $799 the 5.8 oled will come down by 100 and be $899 and the oled plus will come in at $999
  • Reply 20 of 43
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    blastdoor said:
    If the LCD model has as good of a camera system as the best OLED phone, then I’d go with the LCD phone. But I don’t want to compromise on camera quality. 
    The lcd model will have an interior camera compared to the oled 
    netmage