Next-gen 6.1-inch LCD iPhone again predicted to outsell OLED models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    neilm said:
    wood1208 said:
    I observed that at work,in Gym,in mall,every where I see more female have 4.7" and in while color iPhone
    My observation (not in gyms) is exactly the opposite: the Plus size screen, whether from Apple or not, seems much more popular with female than male users. Men don't want oversized phones in their pockets, whereas it makes no difference for women to carry them in purses.
    Size isn’t everything lol. I’ve seen a lot of women that have the plus. It’s more than about the purse.  Women tuck there phones in there bra’s it’s about what the person is comfortable with and what they want to pay for 
  • Reply 22 of 43
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    tht said:
    The top end lineup for next Fall is going to be interesting. How high will Apple go here with the 6.5” OLED? Are the going to continue to sell the 2017 iPhone X? Are they going to have iPhone 9 models?

They could go with the higher priced lineup like this:
    $1200 iPhone X w/6.5” display
    $1000 iPhone X w/5.8” display
    $900 iPhone X 2017 model $800 iPhone w/6.1” display (iPhone 9?) $700 iPhone 8 Plus $600 iPhone 8 $600 iPhone 7 Plus $500 iPhone 7 $400 iPhone SE

If they think $1000 is the top end price tier, the 2017 iPhone X model has to go away. This would be so much more palatable:

$1000 iPhone X w/6.5” display
    $900 iPhone X w/5.8” display $800 iPhone w/6.1” display (iPhone 9?) $700 iPhone 8 Plus $600 iPhone 8 $600 iPhone 7 Plus $500 iPhone 7 $400 iPhone SE
    A $1100 to $1200 base price for the high end model, plus $150 for max storage would be pretty hard to swallow.

Argh. Code tag looks perfect in the editor.
    Apple will ditch the current iPhone X for the refresh.  They wouldn’t want it canabalizing the iPhone 6.1 lcd sales 
  • Reply 23 of 43
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    tht said:
    The top end lineup for next Fall is going to be interesting. How high will Apple go here with the 6.5” OLED? Are the going to continue to sell the 2017 iPhone X? Are they going to have iPhone 9 models?

$900 iPhone X 2017 model $800 iPhone w/6.1” display (iPhone 9?) $700 iPhone 8 Plus $600 iPhone 8 $600 iPhone 7 Plus $500 iPhone 7 $400 iPhone SE

If they think $1000 is the top end price tier, the 2017 iPhone X model has to go away. This would be so much more palatable:

$900 iPhone X w/5.8” display $800 iPhone w/6.1” display (iPhone 9?) $700 iPhone 8 Plus $600 iPhone 8 $600 iPhone 7 Plus $500 iPhone 7 $400 iPhone SE
    A $1100 to $1200 base price for the high end model, plus $150 for max storage would be pretty hard to swallow.

Are you suggesting Apple lifting iPhone SE price? Which is $349 now.

The current line up is already quite complex in my opinion. I hope Apple take a chance to slim line it.

I think given this quarter results, It shows there are quite a few who are willing to paid $1000+ for a phone. So may be the iPhone 6.5" will be $1200. But I dont think 2017 iPhone X will stick around.

$750 iPhone w/6.1” display (iPhone 9?)
    $600 iPhone 8 $600 iPhone 7 Plus $500 iPhone 7

$300 iPhone SE

May be even the iPhone 7 and Plus will be gone and replaced by iPhone 8 Series.
    So the mid tiers starts at $500, and if you want absolutely best, Apple has top end iPhone starting from $999 / $1000.

P.S - While that makes sense, the weakening of US dollars will have large impact to overseas pricing. Not sure how Apple will weight on this.

• Reply 24 of 43
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Ming's strength is the prediction of designs of Apple products and not the sales...
  • Reply 25 of 43
    wbmwbm Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    My very unscientific polling at my house says

guys want the biggest phone that they can get.

women want a much smaller size.  They don’t like the 4.7” phone.  They want a 4” phone with all of the up to date features of the latest phones, not a warmed over update of an old phone.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    Its pretty obvious. Cheaper stuff sells more. Its not the ability or skills that this or any other analyst will analyse like that. If they do then they are not performing well.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    wbm said:

I guess I'm a woman then in really hating those huge phablets.
    Oh wait, I see more women with them (phablets that is) than men.

My iPhone 7 fits nicely in my pockets. Anything larger won't. End of story.

tokyojimutycho_macuser
  • Reply 28 of 43
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The only thing that feels really wrong to me here is the size of this so called LCD model. A current and plus sized X seems given. And then a new SE model X perhaps down the line, that would be, smaller, I guess?
    but to squeeze a new mid sized one in there? Why? Like if it was a “substantially cheaper high end phone” meant for developing markets, it’d make sense. But no, this is still gonna be premium priced. Weird!
  • Reply 29 of 43
    tshapi said:
    blastdoor said:
    If the LCD model has as good of a camera system as the best OLED phone, then I’d go with the LCD phone. But I don’t want to compromise on camera quality. 
    The lcd model will have an interior camera compared to the oled 

As long as it doesn't have an inferior processor or half the memory.  I'll give up portrait mode and AMOLED to save $300 provided the phones are otherwise equal.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    wbm said:

I guess I'm a woman then in really hating those huge phablets.
    Oh wait, I see more women with them (phablets that is) than men.

My iPhone 7 fits nicely in my pockets. Anything larger won't. End of story.

I'd have to agree...women seem to like the large iPhone more from what I'm seeing. They have the purses and seem to not mind having the iPhone sticking halfway out of the back pocket of the shorts and jeans. Me I'm fine with my SE. Looking forward to a wireless charging of the SE2! :)

P.S. The iPhone is the 'true' PC replacement! :)
    tycho_macuser
  • Reply 31 of 43
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    ksec said:
    tht said:

The current line up is already quite complex in my opinion. I hope Apple take a chance to slim line it.

I think given this quarter results, It shows there are quite a few who are willing to paid $1000+ for a phone. So may be the iPhone 6.5" will be $1200. But I dont think 2017 iPhone X will stick around.

$300 iPhone SE

So the mid tiers starts at $500, and if you want absolutely best, Apple has top end iPhone starting from $999 / $1000.

P.S - While that makes sense, the weakening of US dollars will have large impact to overseas pricing. Not sure how Apple will weight on this.

Haven't Apple committed to dropping Imagination's PowerVR GPU's from all shipping products this year?
    So how does the iPhone 7 stay in the line up given how late in the year the next iPhone releases will be. If they don't backtrack and just keep PowerVR, either it goes to a A11 then the difference to the 8 is compact or they make a special A10(m?) with the metal GPU cores to refresh all the lower end products. If they go that way why not re-engineer all they can to pull the price down and make the SE a hybrid 6/7.

Oh and make an iPhone Xminus in the process.

• Reply 32 of 43
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    neilm said:
    wood1208 said:
    I observed that at work,in Gym,in mall,every where I see more female have 4.7" and in while color iPhone
    My observation (not in gyms) is exactly the opposite: the Plus size screen, whether from Apple or not, seems much more popular with female than male users. Men don't want oversized phones in their pockets, whereas it makes no difference for women to carry them in purses.
    Same here. I see way more women with larger phones. All my friends (women) who have iPhone's have the plus size model. As a guy, the plus size phone in my pocket didn't bother me one bit. With how thin the iPhone is, I never even noticed it in my pocket. 
    tycho_macuser
  • Reply 33 of 43
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    mattinoz said:
    ksec said:
    tht said:

$300 iPhone SE

Haven't Apple committed to dropping Imagination's PowerVR GPU's from all shipping products this year?
    So how does the iPhone 7 stay in the line up given how late in the year the next iPhone releases will be. If they don't backtrack and just keep PowerVR, either it goes to a A11 then the difference to the 8 is compact or they make a special A10(m?) with the metal GPU cores to refresh all the lower end products. If they go that way why not re-engineer all they can to pull the price down and make the SE a hybrid 6/7.

Oh and make an iPhone Xminus in the process.

Good call
  • Reply 34 of 43
    The iPhone X is TOO SMALL for me. And the iPhone 8 Plus wasn't good enough.

The new iPhone X 6.5" will be my new iPhone.

These big screen iPhones will trigger a new HUGE WAVE of iPhone upgrades. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 43

blastdoor said:
    If the LCD model has as good of a camera system as the best OLED phone, then I’d go with the LCD phone. But I don’t want to compromise on camera quality. 

Obviously, the better model will get the better camera. That is one driving force for sales.
    The OLED phone is considered a better phone than the LCD Model, which is considered a lower tier phone.

So if you want the best camera, get the best iPhone. Period.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    tht said:

I know it's not the point of your post, but I hope they don't go with the stupid iPad like naming convention you call out here...where they stick with iPhone X.  It's stupidly annoying to be looking at iPads that have the same name, except that's confusing for stores so they all add their own variant nomenclature.  "iPad 2017", "new iPad", "iPad"...all the same thing when shopping and so it takes extra time to compare specs (and hope the seller got them right) or else I end up with not the newest iPad but last years iPad because they are called the same dang thing.  

• Reply 37 of 43
    Wheres that 3d touch gonna go? Better be in there, Apple!
  • Reply 38 of 43
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    mattinoz said:

So Apple is also going to replace the SoCs in all Apple TV, all iPad, iPhone SE, and who knows what else with custom GPU variants by Fall of 2018? Like the iPad at $330 and iPhone SE will be upgraded to lower performance variants of the GPU in the A11 by this Fall? And the iPhone 7 will either be upgraded or they’lol stop selling it this Fall?

Not so sure the transition would be that fast, nor that it even needs to be. The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus will be fine as the low end iPhones in 2019. Doesn’t seem worth the trouble to update the SoC to save Apple one year of Imagine Tech IP fees.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 43
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    wood1208 said:
    I observed that at work,in Gym,in mall,every where I see more female have 4.7" and in while color iPhone, So, whatever iPhones Apple offers in future, make sure to keep that around 4.7" frame size. No need to be courageous when something works well, don't fix it to break. If Apple somehow produces LCD version of 4.7" FRAME iPhone X, I am sure it can easily be run-off success like what is predicted for 6.1" LCD iPhone X. Majority of people want more screen area to work with but not so large frame.
    There's an iPhone X for that market.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    $900-$850 2017 iPhone X w/5.8” display $800 iPhone w/6.1” display (iPhone 9?) $700 iPhone 8 Plus $600 iPhone 8 $600 iPhone 7 Plus $500 iPhone 7 $400 $500 iPhone SE2

I think they'll kill iPhone 7/7+ and SE. I don't think there's a new 5.8" iPhone X but the same one with discount. Current iPhone X is virtually flawless and the gut should still beat many phones out there in 2018. Update the gut may not be needed.
    edited February 2018