Small number of iPhone X users screens not waking quick enough to field phone calls

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2018
A small number of new #iPhoneX owners have been reporting that a call will sometimes come in to the device, the phone's screen will not wake and respond to a touch quick enough to answer.

The Apple support forums are seeing complaints form users claiming that the phone will ring, but the phone will not wake from sleep to get the call. After about eight seconds, the phone will respond to a user tap to answer the call -- but in some cases the wake-up is too late.

AppleInsider confirmed the reports with sources inside the company who said that Apple was collecting data on the problem. Additionally, in our collated service data that we have been collecting since late 2016 from multiple Apple stores and service locations, there hasn't been an increase in complaints about phone call functionality over previous models suggesting a small volume of users are experiencing the problem and it is not wide-spread.

It is not clear what is causing the problem. Some users report on the support forums that a restore of the software on the device fixes the problem, but it will surface at a later date.

We are unable to confirm the behavior across several iPhone X units in our possession at this time, but discussions of the issue can be found on Apple's community-driven support pages , and in a report by the Financial Times.

Users with multiple Apple devices can set up Calls on Other Devices in the Phone settings menu on the iPhone X to either confirm or work-around the problem if afflicted. If the option is turned on, devices sharing the same Apple ID on the same wi-fi network in close proximity will all alert the user in the event of an incoming call, with the call able to be dealt with on a satellite device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    not affecting our family.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 38
    iPhone has had more quality issues with each new generation. Now it can’t even be used as a phone? What am I supposed to buy to replace my 5s when it’s no longer supported? A Samsung and a fire extinguisher? Apple should stop redesigning the iPhone every year, and work on perfecting it instead.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Over a billion devices in the Wild? Glitches happen. When there’s a (rare) problem? Get it repaired under warranty. Or AppleCare (one more reason to do Apple financing, though that a  “$999” phone becomes a $45 per month phone can be reason enough)

Peiople that martyr when Apple is right there to help are strange. 

OTOH? My iPhone X is fine. 
    edited February 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobramike1
  • Reply 4 of 38
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    I have had this on my other iPhones but not my X.  Happens once in a blue moon, the screen lights up but I can't interact with it to answer the call.  And by once in a blue moon Im talking maybe 3 or four times in the last 10 years.
    AlexanderHClkruppbonobobwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 38
    JFC_PA said:
    Over a billion devices in the Wild? Glitches happen. When there’s a (rare) problem? Get it repaired under warranty. Or AppleCare (one more reason to do Apple financing, though that a  “$999” phone becomes a $45 per month phone can be reason enough)

Don't fret, there will be a lawsuit (or three) along soon. Any little problem with Apple kit and people sue, sue and sue.
    Just a sign of the times really.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 38
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    JFC_PA said:

Don't fret, there will be a lawsuit (or three) along soon. Any little problem with Apple kit and people sue, sue and sue.
    Just a sign of the times really.
    Yes, class action lawsuit coming soon. /s
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 38
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    iPhone has had more quality issues with each new generation. Now it can’t even be used as a phone? What am I supposed to buy to replace my 5s when it’s no longer supported? A Samsung and a fire extinguisher? Apple should stop redesigning the iPhone every year, and work on perfecting it instead.
    Oh please...more issues with each version. LOL! Prove it! Then why does Apple still have small issues with iPhones that have been around for a while, like iPhone 6s and iPhone 7, and I'm sure something will come about with iPhone 8. All of which share the same form factor/design since the iPhone 6. There really hasn't been any significant widespread issues with recent iPhones. Thanks for blowing this way out of proportion. I guess you should never buy a car either since every other day they're recalling hundreds of thousands of cars, if not millions. 

Some issues such as this one can be fixed with software, rather than making the customer come in for a repair. I'm thinking Apple will fix this issue in a future software update. 
    edited February 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Calm down haters. No Apple IPhone X "TOUCHGATE" here. Move on Lol.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 38
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    “SMALL NUMBER”?  800+ is a small number? Up to 4th Feb 2018, there were over 800 iPhone X users complaining.  
    deepinsider
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    ivanh said:
    “SMALL NUMBER”?  800+ is a small number? Up to 4th Feb 2018, there were over 800 iPhone X users complaining.  
    Compared to 20+ million phones, 1000 users is 0.05 percent of all iPhone X users.

So, yes, that's a small number. It is perilously close to insignificant, as failures go, in fact.
    edited February 2018 beowulfschmidtmuthuk_vanalingamking editor the grateStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 38
    800/1200000000=0.000000666666667 I call that a small number.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 38
    ivanh said:
    Compared to 20+ million phones, 1000 users is 0.05 percent of all iPhone X users.

So, yes, that's a small number. It is perilously close to insignificant, as failures go, in fact.
    I make that to be 0.005 percent.  Which, I think, crosses the line into actual insignificance. :)
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 38
    ivanh said:

I make that to be 0.005 percent.  Which, I think, crosses the line into actual insignificance. :)
    Yup, you're right. Head-math with one too-few zeroes. Interestingly, I was using the larger number as the "insignificant" part of the conversation. Multiple errors, somehow came up with the right answer.

It's easy to forget that nobody sells smartphones of any one model like Apple does. When 100 people complain about 2 million Pixels sold, say, it's hard to find. When 1000 complain about 20 million, it's much louder, but the failure rate on both are the same.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 14 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Do you know what really helps to placate people having problems?  Telling them they're insignificant.
    deepinsidermuthuk_vanalingamavon b7lorin schultz
  • Reply 15 of 38
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I've had this problem a coupe time my ATT ipHone 8Plus.   Never  had the problem with iPhone 5S or SE on same network.  I thought maybe it was due to intel modem,
    but I can't afford switching to new model on either Sprint or Verizon (which hopefully had QualComm modem).

Edit: already have a iPhone 7Plus on Verizon.
    edited February 2018 deepinsider
  • Reply 16 of 38
    crowley said:
    Do you know what really helps to placate people having problems?  Telling them they're insignificant.
    There's no bid to placate here -- that is literally not my job.

However, the issue is not a big one as headlines in some venues this morning are already declaring.

TL;DR from the article - Yup, people are reporting it. It's not a wide-spread or systemic issue, so if you're experiencing it, here's how to work around it until you can get to an Apple store and deal with it.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 38
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Ummm what?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 38
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    k2kw said:
    I've had this problem a coupe time my ATT ipHone 8Plus.   Never  had the problem with iPhone 5S or SE on same network.  I thought maybe it was due to intel modem,
    but I can't afford switching to new model on either Sprint or Verizon (which hopefully had QualComm modem).

Edit: already have a iPhone 7Plus on Verizon.
    I have the same model 8 Plus and have not had this issue?  What does the phone screen not waking up ( becoming active ) in time for a call to be answered have to do with the Modem ?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Get a grip on yourself. Histrionic bullshit doesn’t become you. There has been NO “gate” associated with the iPhone X. What does a “small number” mean to you? Everybody? The X release has been one of the most trouble free in years. All we have seen are some questionable nerds saying they can defeat Face ID,  twins opening each other’s phone, bitching about the “notch”, the usual negative narratives from filthy trolls who infest Apple sites. That’s it.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Probably Qualcomm modem.