Apple Music poised to overtake Spotify in US, possibly this summer

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Assuming current subscriber growth rates hold steady, Apple Music should surpass Spotify -- if only in the U.S. -- sometime this summer, a report claimed on Sunday.

In that country Apple is adding subscribers at a rate of 5 percent per month versus Spotify's 2, record industry sources told the Wall Street Journal. One of the sources added that if people in free or discounted trial periods are included, Apple Music already has a slight advantage.

In fact Apple allegedly has three to four times the number of trial users as Spotify, simply because it doesn't offer a free ad-based tier -- anyone who signs up for Apple Music's three-month trial must either cancel or pay.

Nevertheless, Spotify maintains a large worldwide lead. It has upwards of 70 million paid Premium subscribers, and at least as many free listeners, whereas Apple told the Journal that it now has 36 million subscribers in total. This is despite Spotify being available in just 61 markets versus Apple's 115.

Apple Music is deeply integrated into Apple devices, including the upcoming HomePod, but Spotify launched in 2008 and is largely credited with spearheading on-demand music streaming. The latter has its own advantages, such as dedicated clients, and integration with a host of platforms and devices such as the Amazon Echo and Google Home. The HomePod will only support Apple Music, iTunes, and AirPlay.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Apple has time.  Apple will wait.  Apple has the integration that counts, the iPhone.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobrastanthemanStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 2 of 27
    zonezone Posts: 71member
    Doomed...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    badmonk said:
    Apple has time.  Apple will wait.  Apple has the integration that counts, the iPhone.
    Spotify actually has more integration than Apple Music. You can get Spotify pretty much on anything these days. 
    doozydozentokyojimu[Deleted User]
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Unfortunately, AppleMusic contributes very little to Apple's overall revenue, so it will still be considered a failure as far as Wall Street is concerned. AppleMusic should probably be offered on more platforms if they really want to boost membership. I wouldn't mind AppleMusic being available on Roku because I use that a lot. Of course, Apple is in the market of selling hardware, so they only want AppleMusic to be used on Apple devices. It might work for some but I'm not falling for it. We'll see if Apple's strategy works. Maybe it will, but it won't reach any market share percentage that Amazon services will reach. Apple will always be compared to front-runner Amazon.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    "Of course, Apple is in the market of selling hardware, so they only want AppleMusic to be used on Apple devices. It might work for some but I'm not falling for it.".

Apple Music is available on Android.

Rayz2016chasmnetmagewatto_cobrastanthemanlolliver
  • Reply 6 of 27
    crosslad said:
    "Of course, Apple is in the market of selling hardware, so they only want AppleMusic to be used on Apple devices. It might work for some but I'm not falling for it.".

Apple Music is available on Android.

And also on Windows through iTunes. So IMHO, only non Android TV boxes and game consoles remain.
    Rayz2016chasmnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Apple Music is at its best when there's hardly no interface: Apple Watch and HomePod.

Thank you Jony Ive.

>:x
    watto_cobrastantheman
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Trying really hard to like Apple Music, I'm on month 2 of 3 month trial and it still has no idea what I like or even what music is in similar genres it seems.

I.e. some of my fav bands are "This Will Destroy You" and "Mogwai", post-rock stuff you might say. If I ask to create a station based on that, the very next song it played was a dance song by Moby?! :| Then it played something I can only describe as disney-esq chart music. I find myself constantly skipping and pressing the dislike heart but it still struggles to learn my tastes.

It's also very USA chart-music orientated imho - I searched through the playlists and found one titles "80s/90s hip hop" - I expected some real old skool rap (before it was all swearing and guns) but no, it was destinys child and missy elliot!? 

Spotify on the other hand creates excellent radio stations with truly similar stuff, things I might like. I really like it's daily playlists that it creates for whatever mood I might be in. So easy to use in comparison.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    That’s what happens when you own a platform. You simply block competitors from having Siri integration, you advertise your own product, etc. It’s unfair competition and Spotify is defenseless, despite having a better app experience.
    spice-boy
  • Reply 10 of 27
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    badmonk said:
    Spotify actually has more integration than Apple Music. You can get Spotify pretty much on anything these days. 
    That's not what integration means and you know it, an app is not "integration".
    netmagewatto_cobraStrangeDayscharlesatlasgilly33lolliver
  • Reply 11 of 27
    That’s what happens when you own a platform. You simply block competitors from having Siri integration, you advertise your own product, etc. It’s unfair competition and Spotify is defenseless, despite having a better app experience.
    Right... "unfair"... Just like Wallmart selling their own things in their own stores... Wahhhh , Wahhhhh, pooo spotify.

mdriftmeyerwatto_cobragilly33lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Unfortunately, AppleMusic contributes very little to Apple's overall revenue, so it will still be considered a failure as far as Wall Street is concerned. AppleMusic should probably be offered on more platforms if they really want to boost membership. I wouldn't mind AppleMusic being available on Roku because I use that a lot. Of course, Apple is in the market of selling hardware, so they only want AppleMusic to be used on Apple devices. It might work for some but I'm not falling for it. We'll see if Apple's strategy works. Maybe it will, but it won't reach any market share percentage that Amazon services will reach. Apple will always be compared to front-runner Amazon.

Wrong.

Apple Music is part of the ecosystem that hugely supports the sales of Apple Hardware. Think about it: Despite having a small minority of all smartphone sales, personal computers and TV devices, Apple Music has more than HALF of Spotify's subscribers and is on track to overtake Spotify in some markets - particularly the United States.

Apple Music's users are more educated and wealthier than Spotify's users. They end up spending more on Apple products including Apple Apps.

Apple Music is part of Apple's Services Division which is now as big as a DOW 100 company.  The Services Devision is growing faster than the other parts of Apple - including the iPhone. And it now makes more money than the entire World Wide Movies market. 

watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 13 of 27

1. Siri integration for any App will occur once Apple releases an API that can be used by any App.

2. Spotify should make its own hardware if it wants to compete with hardware manufacturers in the hardware market.
    watto_cobraequality72521lolliver
  • Reply 14 of 27

foggyhill said:
    badmonk said:
    That's not what integration means and you know it, an app is not "integration".

Actually, let him believe that integration means Spotify plays on nearly anything these days. That is actually better for Apple since Apple doesn't have a monopoly. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27

zone said:
    Doomed...

Spotify is doomed.

First, Spotify hardly makes money.

Second, Congress just passed a law that will TRIPLE the amount of money music streamers have to pay for music to artists and copyright owners of the music. Spotify will HURT a lot.

A big reason is that Spotify pays for the music it streams to its FREE users - half of its users. It will now have to pay TRIPLE. 
    mdriftmeyernetmagewatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 16 of 27
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member

zone said:
    Doomed...

Spotify is doomed.

First, Spotify hardly makes money.

Second, Congress just passed a law that will TRIPLE the amount of money music streamers have to pay for music to artists and copyright owners of the music. Spotify will HURT a lot.

A big reason is that Spotify pays for the music it streams to its FREE users - half of its users. It will now have to pay TRIPLE. 
    Do you have a bill number for that new law?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    badmonk said:
    They very well need that time to make it as useful as Spotify. Apple Music is everything but smart. After 3 months it still hasn't figured out what I want to listen to. Spotify's 'Discover weekly' and 'daily mix' are lightyears ahead it's not even funny. Same for integrations, but I guess that's not what Apple wants. It would be nice if Spotify made a native client for the mac, but other than that I think Apple has some catching up to do.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    michelb76 said:
    badmonk said:
    They very well need that time to make it as useful as Spotify. Apple Music is everything but smart. After 3 months it still hasn't figured out what I want to listen to. Spotify's 'Discover weekly' and 'daily mix' are lightyears ahead it's not even funny. Same for integrations, but I guess that's not what Apple wants. It would be nice if Spotify made a native client for the mac, but other than that I think Apple has some catching up to do.
    Again someone who doesn't give a frack what words mean, "integration", yeah right. Get a god damn dictionary.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    Actually that was a CRB ruling that raises rates for song writer from 10% to 15% (roughly) which won’t raise Spotify’s cost by 33%:

http://nmpa.org/press_release/crb-dramatically-increases-rates-for-songwriters/
  • Reply 20 of 27
    I heard of many ex Spotify users who left the ship to Apple Music due to Apple Watch LTE, and it's only the beginning. What will happen when cellular Apple Watch become mainstream? The future doesn't bode well for Spotify.
    I mean even I who don't have LTE version will still be able to put AirPods in, double tap it & says "play 70s Rock Playlist" & it will play, without touching my phone once. How convenient is that.

When I tried Spotify for free for a month, nothing convinced me to continue. Nothing wow me. The app is just so-so, and I couldn't even upload my own music. Duh.
    The algorithm that people above said is far superior is just worse than what Apple Music gave. Maybe it's just the case of who has your personal information more rather than how good the algorithm is? Even Jim Dalrymple who criticised Apple Music harshly so many times has admitted the station he created gave him perfect songs almost every time.
    At this time, there's nothing in Spotify that will beat Apple Music. And when iOS 11.3 released it will be even better when music video got integrated in. The first poster is right. Apple has all the time, and all the money, to make it better & better. I wouldn't bet against them... so long as Eddy Cue won't interfere in it. :)
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra