Lesser-known Android phone makers copy look of Apple's iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    rrrize said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    I think the reason behind the notch is to improve the user experience. If the camera array was above the screen the users would have to look avbive the screen to trigger FaceID then refocus on the screen after being granted access. The notch means they just look at the screen and they’re in.
    Well, I own an iPhone X (256GB) and my experience is when watching a movie in full screen, the notch is the star of every film because it literally replaces that film that would be in that area. I've also noticed that may video news broadcasts like NBC, CNN, MSNBC, FOX do not optimize their apps to take advantage of the iPhone X full screen because they don't want their content cut off. So when watching news with their apps you are looking at bezels on the left and right. I have a very dark wallpaper so when I am on the home screen I don't notice the notch, but as soon as I launch any app with a white or light colored backround (which is MOST apps) like Mail, Instagram, Messages, Twitter, etc... the notch just... hovers. Some people say they just got used to it, but I can't get used to it. Like when I am in Messages, texting, my eye often gets drawn to it and it seems like a piece of electrical tape and I just want to peel it off.  And because of the notch, the battery percentage cannot be displayed... because there is not enough room!!  How insane is that, that you cannot see the battery percentage  easily and at a glance on your $1300 cell phone.  I could go on. The notch does not work to improve user experience in my experience. In my experience, it ruins the screen.  I mean, a screen is supposed to be... a screen - viewable in its entirety. Especially on a small device do you not want to obstruct any portion of the screen. That being said, I really like my iPhone X. It's buttery smooths, fast as heck, photos are phenominal. But the experience is ruined EVRY time I go to watch a movie or any kind of video.
    But...video defaults to NOT being zoomed-and-cropped. By default you cannot see the notch in a video as the edges end where the notch begins. So you’re saying you intentionally double-tap the screen every time you watch a video in order to zoom-in, which in turn crops off the left and right edges of the video, losing content. Why would you do this?
    edited February 2018 noelosmagman1979fastasleepJaiOh81cornchipwatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 22 of 76
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    Soli said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    rrrize said:
    Apple's goal with the iPhone X was to make a phone that was ALL screen with no bezels. So, some genius says "Hey, since we don't want to make a small bezel above the screen to put the camera and FaceID technology, let's put the bezel IN the screen!!"  ...and thus the iPhone X was born.  A smartphone maker following that idiotic idea is a kin to how the trend of wearing one's pants with the waits below the butt so the underwear is showing and you have to walk with your legs spread in order to keep the pants up. One person who I guess was considered cool, started that trend and someone said, "Hey, I'm gonna wear my pants that way too!!"  ...and thus that idiotic trend was born.
    I think the reason behind the notch is to improve the user experience. If the camera array was above the screen the users would have to look avbive the screen to trigger FaceID then refocus on the screen after being granted access. The notch means they just look at the screen and they’re in. 
    I'm sure that that Face ID could be 2mm higher and still work fine. They could just angle the sensor slightly, but I don't think that would be required when you consider the distance to the face and the angle Face ID already works with an iPhone X sitting on a table.
    They say that imitation is the sincerest form...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the notch doesn’t bother me at all (aesthetically - I use a 6s so I can’t comment on function) as a practical matter, the top 4-5mm of the screen is taken up by the clock, battery indicator, mobile signal bars, etc. the notch simply moves those up to either side of the speaker and gives more usable screen space.

It it was my understanding that video could be adjusted so it wasn’t using the notched area. No? 
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 76
    No no no, somebody create an LOL@APPLE photoshop showing how the iPhone X copied the notch from (some obscure thing that’s not even a phone) and how these Androiders are not actually copying Apple’s notch, and argue that this design solution was “inevitable” and “obvious.”
    Ha!  I suspect you could really do it on the cheap -- make any phone you have look like the iPhone X  -- with a clear screen protecter and a black Sharpie.
    chiasuddenly newtonberndogcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    rrrize said:
    Apple's goal with the iPhone X was to make a phone that was ALL screen with no bezels.
    Except Apple didn’t make a phone that was all screen. There’s a black bezel around the entire phone. No one has made a phone with no bezels. The GS8’s curved sides trick your eyes into thinking there aren’t any bezels but they’re there.

I was really surprised when I read last month that the X doesn't even have the highest screen-to-body ratio. There's a least 5 smartphones ahead of it, but to be fair the iPhone X and those are all clustered fairly close together. 
    Where those values normalized for a same size screen on the diagonal?  If not, then a gigantic android phone with and even thicker bezel, chin, forehead, and/or notch could still have a higher display to footprint ratio.
    One link is here Soli:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/bezel-less-phone-comparison/
  • Reply 25 of 76
    No taste and no creativity. Scum sucking leeches.
    magman1979cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 76
    No no no, somebody create an LOL@APPLE photoshop showing how the iPhone X copied the notch from (some obscure thing that’s not even a phone) and how these Androiders are not actually copying Apple’s notch, and argue that this design solution was “inevitable” and “obvious.”
    Ha!  I suspect you could really do it on the cheap -- make any phone you have look like the iPhone X  -- with a clear screen protecter and a black Sharpie.
    Pretty sure I recall seeing decals being sold on EBay.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    But...video defaults to NOT being zoomed-and-cropped. You’re saying you intentionally double-tap the screen every time you watch a video in order to zoom-in, which in turn crops off the left and right edges of the video, losing content. Why would you do this?
    Because of your post, I decided to play a movie on my iPhone X. So I selected Deadpool, which I bought from Apple. You're right, by default it opens not in full screen mode - video bezels all around - top,bottom, left and right. When I double-tap the screen it opens up in full screen mode. It does not crop anything. It fills the screen. In fact it looks pretty phenomenal! The picture is crisp, the blacks are truly black. Colors are rich and vibrant. The OLED screen really shines. It's honestly quite beautiful!  But the bloody notch is hanging out INSIDE the screen obstructing some of the film, thus ruining the experience. I am watching it as I type this and the main character was flung in the air and was about to be flung off the viewable are of the screen but his head was lost in the notch FIRST before actually leaving the screen. That sort of thing really bothers me. I'm guessing some people can get use to that. But I am of the stance that a screen should be a screen and a screen should not be obstructed. It's real estate for the purpose of displaying the entire context that the author intended. So to answer your question, the reason I double-tap the screen is because I want to take full advantage of the screen. But taking full advantage of the screen on the iPhone X frustratingly falls short. And most of my frustration springs from the fact that it is otherwise a perfect screen - if not for the notch, maybe even the best smartphone screen on the market.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 76
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    And all possible thanks to Google ripping of iOS and calling it Android in the first place. /sigh
    Android pre-dates even rumors of an iPhone. You probably mean the multi-touch interface.
    Android pre-dated Apple with no multi-touch interface, but physical keyboard oriented OS like Blackberry. Bottom line: physical keyboard oriented OS was out of date and on the verge of death. Suddenly, there's a light in the end of tunnel that helped to revive the (copy) life of Physical Keyboard Oriented OS: iOS (it wasn't called iOS back then btw).
    magman1979
  • Reply 29 of 76
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    macgui said:
    lkrupp said:
    Unfortunately there are enough stupid people on this planet for these bottom dwellers to make money on.
    It's not all that much about people being stupid. These aren't even close to an X. Some people just want the look of a high end product and are happy if it's close enough. That's why you can by a Rolecks or Rolexx on the street. They knock-offs, not counterfeits. Big difference.

Call it what you want whilst playing with the semantics of counterfeit, knock-off or fake. 

The only difference is how able and bold the counterfeiter is in imitating the original products’ name and look. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 30 of 76
    rrrize said:
    Apple's goal with the iPhone X was to make a phone that was ALL screen with no bezels. So, some genius says "Hey, since we don't want to make a small bezel above the screen to put the camera and FaceID technology, let's put the bezel IN the screen!!"  ...and thus the iPhone X was born.  A smartphone maker following that idiotic idea is a kin to how the trend of wearing one's pants with the waits below the butt so the underwear is showing and you have to walk with your legs spread in order to keep the pants up. One person who I guess was considered cool, started that trend and someone said, "Hey, I'm gonna wear my pants that way too!!"  ...and thus that idiotic trend was born.
    It’s funny, actually. The more I ponder over the notch, the more I’ve come to realize how stupid it is to NOT use the space on either side of the sensor and speaker. Why waste space? You don’t have to use it to watch videos, unless you want to. For the rest of the time, it can display status info like battery power and the time, etc. Why would you just put an ugly useless black bezel all the way across instead? Doing that seems more akin to something that hampers your effectiveness, like wearing your pants low so that you can’t walk properly. Just sayin’...
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 76
    rrrize said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Well, I own an iPhone X (256GB) and my experience is when watching a movie in full screen, the notch is the star of every film because it literally replaces that film that would be in that area. I've also noticed that may video news broadcasts like NBC, CNN, MSNBC, FOX do not optimize their apps to take advantage of the iPhone X full screen because they don't want their content cut off. So when watching news with their apps you are looking at bezels on the left and right. I have a very dark wallpaper so when I am on the home screen I don't notice the notch, but as soon as I launch any app with a white or light colored backround (which is MOST apps) like Mail, Instagram, Messages, Twitter, etc... the notch just... hovers. Some people say they just got used to it, but I can't get used to it. Like when I am in Messages, texting, my eye often gets drawn to it and it seems like a piece of electrical tape and I just want to peel it off.  And because of the notch, the battery percentage cannot be displayed... because there is not enough room!!  How insane is that, that you cannot see the battery percentage  easily and at a glance on your $1300 cell phone.  I could go on. The notch does not work to improve user experience in my experience. In my experience, it ruins the screen.  I mean, a screen is supposed to be... a screen - viewable in its entirety. Especially on a small device do you not want to obstruct any portion of the screen. That being said, I really like my iPhone X. It's buttery smooths, fast as heck, photos are phenominal. But the experience is ruined EVRY time I go to watch a movie or any kind of video.
    Here is the solution for you: Get a damn Android phone. Case closed.
    BTW, no fcking News app or any video app uses the 19.5:9 aspect ratio which is between the regular widescreen 16:9 and CinemaScope 23.5:10. You either get the bands on top/bottom or on the sides on any phone available on the market today. So, take your irrelevant troll away.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 76
    rrrize said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    So just double-tap the screen so that it reformats the screen ratio of the video so that the notch is not visible. Why wouldn’t you do that? I prefer to watch video with the notch, but for some media, like hockey games, I have to watch in traditional screen ratio so that the zooming effect of double-tapping doesn’t obscure the score, etc. Are there some instances where that is not possible and that is where your difficulties lie? Just trying to help, because I sense you are enjoying everything about your X, except the notch, so I am hoping you can manage the maximum amount of screen space available to you. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 76
    rrrize said:
    But...video defaults to NOT being zoomed-and-cropped. You’re saying you intentionally double-tap the screen every time you watch a video in order to zoom-in, which in turn crops off the left and right edges of the video, losing content. Why would you do this?
    Because of your post, I decided to play a movie on my iPhone X. So I selected Deadpool, which I bought from Apple. You're right, by default it opens not in full screen mode - video bezels all around - top,bottom, left and right. When I double-tap the screen it opens up in full screen mode. It does not crop anything. It fills the screen.
    This is enough to tell that you're clueless about aspect ratios. How is the god damn 21:9 movie not cropped to fit a 19.5:9 screen?
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 76
    rrrize said:
    It’s funny, actually. The more I ponder over the notch, the more I’ve come to realize how stupid it is to NOT use the space on either side of the sensor and speaker. Why waste space? You don’t have to use it to watch videos, unless you want to. For the rest of the time, it can display status info like battery power and the time, etc. Why would you just put an ugly useless black bezel all the way across instead? Doing that seems more akin to something that hampers your effectiveness, like wearing your pants low so that you can’t walk properly. Just sayin’...
    Not only that, because of the blackout of both sides of the screen in android phones, they had to black out the bottom screen (thicker bezel) to make the phone look proportional. That caused the phone to lose more screen estate and made it look a lot longer (Note 8).
    edited February 2018 flashfan207watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 76
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    rrrize said:
    Because of your post, I decided to play a movie on my iPhone X. So I selected Deadpool, which I bought from Apple. You're right, by default it opens not in full screen mode - video bezels all around - top,bottom, left and right. When I double-tap the screen it opens up in full screen mode. It does not crop anything. It fills the screen. In fact it looks pretty phenomenal! The picture is crisp, the blacks are truly black. Colors are rich and vibrant. The OLED screen really shines. It's honestly quite beautiful!  But the bloody notch is hanging out INSIDE the screen obstructing some of the film, thus ruining the experience. I am watching it as I type this and the main character was flung in the air and was about to be flung off the viewable are of the screen but his head was lost in the notch FIRST before actually leaving the screen. That sort of thing really bothers me. I'm guessing some people can get use to that. But I am of the stance that a screen should be a screen and a screen should not be obstructed. It's real estate for the purpose of displaying the entire context that the author intended. So to answer your question, the reason I double-tap the screen is because I want to take full advantage of the screen. But taking full advantage of the screen on the iPhone X frustratingly falls short. And most of my frustration springs from the fact that it is otherwise a perfect screen - if not for the notch, maybe even the best smartphone screen on the market.
    Nope. When you double-tap the screen it goes into full-screen mode BY cropping. Depending on the particular aspect ratio of the film, you will absolutely lose content as the video is cropped to zoom-in on your display. You will lose content from either the left & right sides of the frame, or the top & bottom (which depends on the letterbox aspect ratio). Even were there no notch, this is still true -- data is lost when you zoom-in.

So again, if you're as into the quality of the video content as you suggest, then you should be well aware that double-tapping to enter full-screen mode actually zooms-in and chops off part of your film. Doing so doesnt make sense to me, and that's why it's not the default behavior. 

In effect, you're choosing to destroy part of the content by double-taping to zoom-in. Just don't do that and the notch won't be a problem anymore.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 76
    fallenjt said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    And all possible thanks to Google ripping of iOS and calling it Android in the first place. /sigh
    Android pre-dates even rumors of an iPhone. You probably mean the multi-touch interface.
    Android pre-dated Apple with no multi-touch interface, but physical keyboard oriented OS like Blackberry. Bottom line: physical keyboard oriented OS was out of date and on the verge of death. Suddenly, there's a light in the end of tunnel that helped to revive the (copy) life of Physical Keyboard Oriented OS: iOS (it wasn't called iOS back then btw).
    There were actually at least three different initial prototypes for the first Android developer phone, and one of those used a rudimentary touch interface. The one everyone here seems to be familiar with was just one of the three, the HTC-built and very Blackerry-ish Sooner. That's the one that some early developer published pics of a few years ago leading to the claims that Google started out copying Blackberry.

Google didn't create any of the prototypes. They were all done by members of the Open Handset Alliance at Google's behest to see what ideas they might come up with for integrating the Android OS in a usable interface driving smartphone hardware.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 37 of 76
    I suppose I'll just be screamed at again (rolls eyes) but, of course, Apple's not the first to use that design:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/30/15711170/essential-phone-announcement-price-android-andy-rubin

https://www.androidauthority.com/sharp-aquos-s2-now-official-looks-pretty-familiar-792398/

However, I'm sure there's some big reason that it's okay for Apple to jump on the bezel-free bandwagon, but not for anyone else to do it after they do.
    edited February 2018 muthuk_vanalingamavon b7singularity
  • Reply 38 of 76
    Imagine how their lawyers would have to argue 'This is not an iPhone clone'
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I suppose I'll just be screamed at again (rolls eyes) but, of course, Apple's not the first to use that design:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/30/15711170/essential-phone-announcement-price-android-andy-rubin

https://www.androidauthority.com/sharp-aquos-s2-now-official-looks-pretty-familiar-792398/

However, I'm sure there's some big reason that it's okay for Apple to jump on the bezel-free bandwagon, but not for anyone else to do it after they do.
    Do you really not see a difference between moving technology in a certain direction and mimicking a popular company’s designs because riding their coattails is cheaper and easier than doing anything remotely original or taking a risk on a design that may not be a market success?

You seem to be making a claim that the Essential Phone was copied by Apple, despite the leaks of the iPhone X were out long before the Essenrial Phone was announced; and since Essential doesn’t have to have nearly the lead time as Apple who needs to solidify a design, source components, and secure manufacturering and shipping much sooner due to their excessive volume, it ranges from disingenuous to idiotic to make any assumption that Apple looked at Easential Phone and said “let’s copy this model for release it in 4 months,” unless you’re also saying Apple is engaged in industrial espionage.
    edited February 2018 StrangeDayscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 76
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    adm1 said:
    Never heard of either of these brands but spied the spurs logo on the Leagoo photo ^^ , sure enough...

Must have some financial clout and connections to partner with a premier league club, even if it is just spurs lol.
    The main reason the Spurs signed this deal is to help expand their presence in Asia, especially in China.