Lesser-known Android phone makers copy look of Apple's iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    rrrize said:
    Apple's goal with the iPhone X was to make a phone that was ALL screen with no bezels. So, some genius says "Hey, since we don't want to make a small bezel above the screen to put the camera and FaceID technology, let's put the bezel IN the screen!!"  ...and thus the iPhone X was born.  A smartphone maker following that idiotic idea is a kin to how the trend of wearing one's pants with the waits below the butt so the underwear is showing and you have to walk with your legs spread in order to keep the pants up. One person who I guess was considered cool, started that trend and someone said, "Hey, I'm gonna wear my pants that way too!!"  ...and thus that idiotic trend was born.
    It’s funny, actually. The more I ponder over the notch, the more I’ve come to realize how stupid it is to NOT use the space on either side of the sensor and speaker. Why waste space? You don’t have to use it to watch videos, unless you want to. For the rest of the time, it can display status info like battery power and the time, etc. Why would you just put an ugly useless black bezel all the way across instead? Doing that seems more akin to something that hampers your effectiveness, like wearing your pants low so that you can’t walk properly. Just sayin’...
    If you look at Apple Apps on the iPhone X -- they do use the space on either side of the notch in portrait mode.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 76
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    And all possible thanks to Google ripping of iOS and calling it Android in the first place. /sigh
    Android pre-dates even rumors of an iPhone. You probably mean the multi-touch interface.

since I know you like internet factoids, if it is not on the internet it never happen

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/11/08/ios-or-android-which-came-first/

What was Android in 2007 was not what the iPhone was in 2007. If can find the link to the Oracle lawsuit with Google it came out that Google began to rewrite Android once rumors of the iPhone began leaking out and the rumor mill also said the reason Steve Job and Eric were on the outs was due to this massive rewrite of Android to make it like the coming iPhone, thus steve's later comments in 2011. No one is saying Android did not begin coding prior to the iPhone, but what it was more like a Palm or Blackberry verses a IPhone.

At least you quoted Eric exactly

edited February 2018 StrangeDaysfallenjtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 76
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    And all possible thanks to Google ripping of iOS and calling it Android in the first place. /sigh
    Android pre-dates even rumors of an iPhone. You probably mean the multi-touch interface.
    Yes it does, it pre-dates it as first being a Point-and-shoot camera OS, then later being turned into a Blackberry rip-off OS, and finally when Eric Schmidt got wind of iPhone, had Google scrap all that and re-do Android in iPhone's image.

It's a copycat, stolen product, pure and simple.
    StrangeDaysbaconstangfallenjtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 76
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    You are one extremely annoying Google toadie. Android IS an iOS knock-off and you know it.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/12/19/googles-reaction-to-apples-iphone-unveiling-were-going-to-have-to-start-over-on-android

Google not only ripped off the software design, they ripped off the hardware design too. And they continue to do so. Google is an ad company that sucks at anything else but collecting user data and selling it to the highest bidder.

Mr. Google drops another turd on AI. Oh, did I make an ad hominem attack? Sorry, if the shoe fits and all that.
    edited February 2018 anantksundaramcornchipmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 76
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    I suppose I'll just be screamed at again (rolls eyes) but, of course, Apple's not the first to use that design:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/30/15711170/essential-phone-announcement-price-android-andy-rubin

https://www.androidauthority.com/sharp-aquos-s2-now-official-looks-pretty-familiar-792398/

However, I'm sure there's some big reason that it's okay for Apple to jump on the bezel-free bandwagon, but not for anyone else to do it after they do.
    The reason should be obvious -- Apple did it in the X to otherwise remove the "chin" and the "forehead" on the device. These knockoffs are doing it yet retain the chin. So if they're not gaining the edge-to-edge display, what's the point? Other than clumsily aping Apple, of course. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    You are one extremely annoying Google sycophant. Android IS an iOS knock-off and you know it.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/12/19/googles-reaction-to-apples-iphone-unveiling-were-going-to-have-to-start-over-on-android
    Multi-touch ideas were almost certainly influenced by what Apple did with the iPhone. They were also influenced by Palm who like Apple opted for a touch-centric interface. Had Microsoft recognized what the iPhone brought to the market as quickly as Google understood it, or had Palm had deeper pockets, the arguments would involve other players instead of or in addition to Google. 

As for my multi-touch comment in the original post...
    Google held back on unlocking the touch interface they had built in to Android in order to appease Steve Jobs. We all (should) know that. When Palm proceeded anyway using their own multi-touch patents despite Apple's saber-rattling threats to sue em (and Palm saying bring it on, we'll do the same), and for whatever reason Apple chose not to follow thru on the threats it forced Google's hand. With Palm calling Steve Jobs bluff Google had a choice to make: They could keep the feature locked away from being used as Mr. Jobs would like and by doing so be a complete non-factor in smartphones, or like Palm do it anyway even if Mr. Jobs was angered. We all know what they decided.

In the past couple of years they've agreed to put the sabers away and co-exist as a duopoly of iOS and Android. In the end Apple didn't sue Palm or Google and multi-touch done the Apple way became the standard. But iOS has never been Android and vice-versa. They've always had their own paths, even if some of the vision and features are shared and/or borrowed. 

Ars ran a pretty good article about this "theft" several years ago. For those that never happened to read it:
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/02/if-android-is-a-stolen-product-then-so-was-the-iphone/

But I'm not trying to re-hash an old story. The smartphone wars are over as far as Apple and Google are concerned. It's some of the fans that just can't let go. 

EDIT: The newest Apple Watch clone too, but it doesn't look to be all that bad unlike the X-clone examples in the AI article.
    https://us.amazfit.com/shop/bip?variant=336750
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Nope. When you double-tap the screen it goes into full-screen mode BY cropping. Depending on the particular aspect ratio of the film, you will absolutely lose content as the video is cropped to zoom-in on your display. You will lose content from either the left & right sides of the frame, or the top & bottom (which depends on the letterbox aspect ratio). Even were there no notch, this is still true -- data is lost when you zoom-in.

So again, if you're as into the quality of the video content as you suggest, then you should be well aware that double-tapping to enter full-screen mode actually zooms-in and chops off part of your film. Doing so doesnt make sense to me, and that's why it's not the default behavior. 

In effect, you're choosing to destroy part of the content by double-taping to zoom-in. Just don't do that and the notch won't be a problem anymore.

Fair enough. But If the aspect ratio of the original film will not fit natively on the phone's screen, and yet I still choose to "zoom in", knowing it will crop some of the original image, the notch only FURTHER cuts into the zoomed/cropped film.  My point, which I think is a very valid one, is that the notch is living inside my screen, literally deleting some of the screen.  I'd rather have to belly-ache about aspect ratio issues over screen obstruction.  In the case of Deadpool, I believe the original aspect ratio enables it to fit perfectly on the iPhone X's screen in full screen mode because when it's not in full screen mode there are even video bezels on all 4 sides of the video. When I put it in full screen mode it appears to fit perfectly with no cropping.  I could be wrong about that, but it truly looks perfect to me in full screen mode. What ruins it is the notch which blatently obstructs some of the film. This is what my gripe is, because as I said before, a screen should be a screen. It should not be a place to park your utility box.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    rrrize said:
    Well, I own an iPhone X (256GB) and my experience is when watching a movie in full screen, the notch is the star of every film because it literally replaces that film that would be in that area. I've also noticed that may video news broadcasts like NBC, CNN, MSNBC, FOX do not optimize their apps to take advantage of the iPhone X full screen because they don't want their content cut off. So when watching news with their apps you are looking at bezels on the left and right. I have a very dark wallpaper so when I am on the home screen I don't notice the notch, but as soon as I launch any app with a white or light colored backround (which is MOST apps) like Mail, Instagram, Messages, Twitter, etc... the notch just... hovers. Some people say they just got used to it, but I can't get used to it. Like when I am in Messages, texting, my eye often gets drawn to it and it seems like a piece of electrical tape and I just want to peel it off.  And because of the notch, the battery percentage cannot be displayed... because there is not enough room!!  How insane is that, that you cannot see the battery percentage  easily and at a glance on your $1300 cell phone. 

Hmm...  I guess I must be doing something wrong, as most apps display battery just fine for apps such as Messages which are used in portrait* mode:

*If the app doesn't display battery, etc. in portrait mode -- then likely the Developer was to lazy to update for iPX.

I could go on. The notch does not work to improve user experience in my experience. In my experience, it ruins the screen.  I mean, a screen is supposed to be... a screen - viewable in its entirety. Especially on a small device do you not want to obstruct any portion of the screen. That being said, I really like my iPhone X. It's buttery smooths, fast as heck, photos are phenominal. But the experience is ruined EVRY time I go to watch a movie or any kind of video.

Couple of things here:

I have a IP7+ iP7 and an IPX -- when watching videos:

• The viewable area on both phones have the are exactly the same size -- the size of the IP7's display area minus the forehead and chin.
    • When you double tap the iPX, on an app such as Netflix -- the video is resized (cropped) to full screen minus the notch (and rounded corners).  It is larger than what you can display on the iP7+.
    • The App Developer could mitigate this somewhat by resizing (cropping) to not include the notch area (just display it black).
    • The latest Apple Developer Tools (Xcode iOS 11) have a Storyboard safe area and restraints -- to assist developers to more easily create apps that will run on any supported iDevice -- including the iPX.
    • The iPX notch and rounded corners are not the only considerations for landscape apps -- as the phone can be rotated so the notch is on the right or on the left with different offsets to the content display.
    • If the contents contain buttons, etc. -- it is important for the user's muscle-memory to find the same location, i.e. the same distance from the center of the screen. 

There are other considerations, such as whether the app  includes  the status bar, tab bar, etc.

Most of this is shown in the following Developer Video.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/fall2017/801/

IDK if there is any subliminal meaning to the image of the Message I included -- it shows the location of the best doughnut shop and best graveyard in the LA area.

edited February 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 49 of 76
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    adm1 said:
    Never heard of either of these brands but spied the spurs logo on the Leagoo photo ^^ , sure enough...

Must have some financial clout and connections to partner with a premier league club, even if it is just spurs lol.
    That would be a typical gooner comment but aren't you a Dagger? LOL. Says a Tractor Boy, btw (although I'm from London). Not like I didn't have a lot to choose from... Ha!

• Reply 50 of 76
    rrrize said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    I think the reason behind the notch is to improve the user experience. If the camera array was above the screen the users would have to look avbive the screen to trigger FaceID then refocus on the screen after being granted access. The notch means they just look at the screen and they’re in.
    Well, I own an iPhone X (256GB) and my experience is when watching a movie in full screen

You've already ruined the movie by watching it on a tiny screen.
    baconstangStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Couple of things here:

I have a IP7+ and an IPX -- when watching videos:
    • The viewable area on both phones have the are exactly the same size -- the size of the IP7's display area minus the forehead and chin.
    That's not even remotely true and if you have both devices you should be able to see that a 16:9 video is larger on the iPhone 7 Plus than it is on the iPhone X since the height of the video is considerably more on the iPhone 7 Plus. Even if expand the the video on the iPhone X to the width of the video which crops the top and bottom the display area of the iPhone 7 Plus is still greater than the iPhone X.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 52 of 76
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    Not sure which is more pathetic.  The companies that do a lame ass copy of an iPhone, or the people that buy them to "impress" others.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 76
    Soli said:
    Couple of things here:

I have a IP7+ and an IPX -- when watching videos:
    That's not even remotely true and if you have both devices you should be able to see that a 16:9 video is larger on the iPhone 7 Plus than it is on the iPhone X since the height of the video is considerably more on the iPhone 7 Plus. Even if expand the the video on the iPhone X to the width of the video which crops the top and bottom the display area of the iPhone 7 Plus is still greater than the iPhone X.
    Oops, my bad!

Everybody's gone and I just grabbed the only Big iPhone that I could find -- a backup that was my grandson's.  It is an iP6 with a 4.7" display (same size as an iP7).

I have very small hands and never could use those larger phones.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 76
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    gatorguy said:
    fallenjt said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    Android pre-dated Apple with no multi-touch interface, but physical keyboard oriented OS like Blackberry. Bottom line: physical keyboard oriented OS was out of date and on the verge of death. Suddenly, there's a light in the end of tunnel that helped to revive the (copy) life of Physical Keyboard Oriented OS: iOS (it wasn't called iOS back then btw).
    There were actually at least three different initial prototypes for the first Android developer phone, and one of those used a rudimentary touch interface. The one everyone here seems to be familiar with was just one of the three, the HTC-built and very Blackerry-ish Sooner. That's the one that some early developer published pics of a few years ago leading to the claims that Google started out copying Blackberry.

Google didn't create any of the prototypes. They were all done by members of the Open Handset Alliance at Google's behest to see what ideas they might come up with for integrating the Android OS in a usable interface driving smartphone hardware.
    If you followed the news closely in 2007, you'd know that Eric Schmidt went back to Google and overhauled the entire Android project at the time because of the iOS UI.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 76
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    rrrize said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    I think the reason behind the notch is to improve the user experience. If the camera array was above the screen the users would have to look avbive the screen to trigger FaceID then refocus on the screen after being granted access. The notch means they just look at the screen and they’re in.
    Well, I own an iPhone X (256GB) and my experience is when watching a movie in full screen, the notch is the star of every film because it literally replaces that film that would be in that area. I've also noticed that may video news broadcasts like NBC, CNN, MSNBC, FOX do not optimize their apps to take advantage of the iPhone X full screen because they don't want their content cut off. So when watching news with their apps you are looking at bezels on the left and right. I have a very dark wallpaper so when I am on the home screen I don't notice the notch, but as soon as I launch any app with a white or light colored backround (which is MOST apps) like Mail, Instagram, Messages, Twitter, etc... the notch just... hovers. Some people say they just got used to it, but I can't get used to it. Like when I am in Messages, texting, my eye often gets drawn to it and it seems like a piece of electrical tape and I just want to peel it off.  And because of the notch, the battery percentage cannot be displayed... because there is not enough room!!  How insane is that, that you cannot see the battery percentage  easily and at a glance on your $1300 cell phone.  I could go on. The notch does not work to improve user experience in my experience. In my experience, it ruins the screen.  I mean, a screen is supposed to be... a screen - viewable in its entirety. Especially on a small device do you not want to obstruct any portion of the screen. That being said, I really like my iPhone X. It's buttery smooths, fast as heck, photos are phenominal. But the experience is ruined EVRY time I go to watch a movie or any kind of video.
    You’re doing it wrong. If you’re watching video content at full width where the notch is cutting off content, you’re already losing content off on the top and bottom of the screen as well. If you watch a movie in its proper aspect ratio, it won’t extend wide enough to be clipped by the notch. Just don’t watch stuff “full screen”. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 76
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    rrrize said:
    Nope. When you double-tap the screen it goes into full-screen mode BY cropping. Depending on the particular aspect ratio of the film, you will absolutely lose content as the video is cropped to zoom-in on your display. You will lose content from either the left & right sides of the frame, or the top & bottom (which depends on the letterbox aspect ratio). Even were there no notch, this is still true -- data is lost when you zoom-in.

So again, if you're as into the quality of the video content as you suggest, then you should be well aware that double-tapping to enter full-screen mode actually zooms-in and chops off part of your film. Doing so doesnt make sense to me, and that's why it's not the default behavior. 

In effect, you're choosing to destroy part of the content by double-taping to zoom-in. Just don't do that and the notch won't be a problem anymore.

Fair enough. But If the aspect ratio of the original film will not fit natively on the phone's screen, and yet I still choose to "zoom in", knowing it will crop some of the original image, the notch only FURTHER cuts into the zoomed/cropped film.  My point, which I think is a very valid one, is that the notch is living inside my screen, literally deleting some of the screen.  I'd rather have to belly-ache about aspect ratio issues over screen obstruction.  In the case of Deadpool, I believe the original aspect ratio enables it to fit perfectly on the iPhone X's screen in full screen mode because when it's not in full screen mode there are even video bezels on all 4 sides of the video. When I put it in full screen mode it appears to fit perfectly with no cropping.  I could be wrong about that, but it truly looks perfect to me in full screen mode. What ruins it is the notch which blatently obstructs some of the film. This is what my gripe is, because as I said before, a screen should be a screen. It should not be a place to park your utility box.
    Hold it slightly closer to your face. Now Deadpool is as big as it would be had you not zoomed in to the point it was obscured by the notch. Problem solved, get over it. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 76
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    You failed history miserably.  Google rewrote Android OS after CEO and Apple director Smith learned Jobs is creating the iPhone. Jobs got so mad. 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 76
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    You are one extremely annoying Google sycophant. Android IS an iOS knock-off and you know it.

Multi-touch ideas were almost certainly influenced by what Apple did with the iPhone. They were also influenced by Palm who like Apple opted for a touch-centric interface. Had Microsoft recognized what the iPhone brought to the market as quickly as Google understood it, or had Palm had deeper pockets, the arguments would involve other players instead of or in addition to Google. 

As for my multi-touch comment in the original post...
    Google held back on unlocking the touch interface they had built in to Android in order to appease Steve Jobs. We all (should) know that. When Palm proceeded anyway using their own multi-touch patents despite Apple's saber-rattling threats to sue em (and Palm saying bring it on, we'll do the same), and for whatever reason Apple chose not to follow thru on the threats it forced Google's hand. With Palm calling Steve Jobs bluff Google had a choice to make: They could keep the feature locked away from being used as Mr. Jobs would like and by doing so be a complete non-factor in smartphones, or like Palm do it anyway even if Mr. Jobs was angered. We all know what they decided.

In the past couple of years they've agreed to put the sabers away and co-exist as a duopoly of iOS and Android. In the end Apple didn't sue Palm or Google and multi-touch done the Apple way became the standard. But iOS has never been Android and vice-versa. They've always had their own paths, even if some of the vision and features are shared and/or borrowed. 

Ars ran a pretty good article about this "theft" several years ago. For those that never happened to read it:
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/02/if-android-is-a-stolen-product-then-so-was-the-iphone/

But I'm not trying to re-hash an old story. The smartphone wars are over as far as Apple and Google are concerned. It's some of the fans that just can't let go. 

EDIT: The newest Apple Watch clone too, but it doesn't look to be all that bad unlike the X-clone examples in the AI article.
    https://us.amazfit.com/shop/bip?variant=336750
    This excuse is actually distortion. The fact is the original Android OS is designed for a keyboard interface. Google completely stole the iPhone OS.  Just like this news article shows. 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 76
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    rrrize said:

I'm fairly certain when you zoom-in on dead-pool you are loosing content and simply aren't noticing it. Scrub to a bright scene, note the things in the frame at the edges, then zoom-in...you ill see some of the frame disappear. 

Again, this is why it's not the default behavior. Even on the 7 and earlier, zooming-in on a video causes you to lose data due to the cropping. It's not the notch, it's you.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Samsung would have to bribe somebody to copy their phone, then try to bail themselves out.
    watto_cobra