Apple makes available second macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 beta, with renamed Books app

Posted:
in macOS
Three hours after the release of the second iOS 11.3 and tvOS 11.3 betas, Apple has deployed the second macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 beta.

The new High Sierra 10.13.4 now incorporates Messages in iCloud, a feature that synchronizes a user's Messages "stack" between multiple devices logged in to the same iCloud account, and has assorted eGPU improvements.

High Sierra 10.13.4 is also the first one to warn users that they are running 32-bit apps. Apple has previously stated that High Sierra is the last Mac operating system that will run the older apps "without compromise."

Beta 2 also changes the name of the iBooks app to "Books." It appears to be mirroring the rebranding, and potential re-design, of the app on iOS, but a timetable for changes beyond just the name aren't clear.

The previous High Sierra beta was build number 17E139j, with the latest having number 17E150f.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Yay.  Christmas again.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Interestingly we now have Books but still have iBooks Creator with this beta.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    designr said:
    The Books change is small but still interesting. I've been thinking that Apple is slowly re-calibrating their branding to bring Apple/ to the center and moving away from the now quite dated "i" prefix.

TV
    MUSIC
    WATCH

I expect this to continue and broaden. I wouldn't be surprised to see an PHONE in the future.

On the Mac side, it's not hard to imagine iMac, iMac Pro simply becoming Mac and Mac Pro.

Apple not necessarily quick to throw away brand identity and "equity" but they're also not shy about it. And if they feel they gain more by centering the brand on the company brand I can see it happening.

Good points. 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    designr said:
    The Books change is small but still interesting. I've been thinking that Apple is slowly re-calibrating their branding to bring Apple/ to the center and moving away from the now quite dated "i" prefix.

TV
    MUSIC
    WATCH

I expect this to continue and broaden. I wouldn't be surprised to see an PHONE in the future.

On the Mac side, it's not hard to imagine iMac, iMac Pro simply becoming Mac and Mac Pro.

Apple not necessarily quick to throw away brand identity and "equity" but they're also not shy about it. And if they feel they gain more by centering the brand on the company brand I can see it happening.

iMac Pro becoming Mac Pro!  Noooooooo!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Does anyone know any more news about apfs support for fusion drives. They announced in September that it was coming in a future update of High Sierra, but I can find no mention of it anywhere since.