Rumor: Apple to launch AirPower and AirPods wireless charging case in March

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
A very thin rumor on Wednesday claims Apple will start shipping the AirPower wireless charging mat and AirPods wireless charging case in late March, both hotly anticipated items unveiled during the company's iPhone event in September.

Citing an unnamed "tipster" from Best Buy, The Apple Post reports the big box retailer and Apple Authorized Reseller will begin sales of AirPower and the wireless AirPods charging case -- packaged with AirPods -- next month.

According to the source, Best Buy is set to initiate online and in-store sales on the same day as Apple, a strategy in line with past accessory launches including Apple Pencil.

The Apple Post does not have a reliable track record in predicting Apple product launches, so the following information should be taken with a heft grain of salt.

If the tipster is correct, it seems Apple intends to sell standalone wireless AirPods charging cases exclusively through its own retail stores, leaving third-party resellers like Best Buy to sell the item as a package with new AirPods.

At its unveiling, and in subsequent promotional content, Apple describes the wireless AirPods case as "optional," suggesting other retailers will stock two AirPods SKUs, one with a traditional Lightning connection and another featuring inductive elements.

An exact release date was not provided, but the tipster said Best Buy would receive sales stock and demo units in late March.

Announced at Apple's iPhone event in September, AirPower is an inductive charging pad capable of juicing up multiple devices simultaneously. For example, AirPower boasts sufficient throughput to charge an iPhone, Apple Watch and the wireless-compatible AirPods case at the same time.

Specifications for the charging mat and new AirPods case are unknown, as is pricing. Rumors last year pegged the charging pad at $199, while a separate report claimed Apple will charge $69 for a wireless AirPods case replacement.

Apple has remained mum on an official launch timeline. Beyond confirming a 2018 release, the company has not commented on pricing or specifications for either AirPower or the optional AirPods case.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    I know the price is just a rumor but it seems freaking ridiculous to me.  I’m sure the tech is great, etc. but sorry it’s just not worth it.
    randominternetpersonsupadav03AirunJaeanantksundarammavemufc
  • Reply 2 of 27
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    williamh said:
    I know the price is just a rumor but it seems freaking ridiculous to me.  I’m sure the tech is great, etc. but sorry it’s just not worth it.
     I agree. The AirPods are $169 I think. Or whatever it was. I got them about a month ago and they are fantastic and worth every penny. But $200 for a charging mat? I’m using a wireless Qi charger right now that we got for free. Don’t think it will charge two things at once but I but I can find something cheaper that will.  
    airnerdAirunJae
  • Reply 3 of 27
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    sdw2001 said:
    williamh said:
     I agree. The AirPods are $169 I think. Or whatever it was. I got them about a month ago and they are fantastic and worth every penny. But $200 for a charging mat? I’m using a wireless Qi charger right now that we got for free. Don’t think it will charge two things at once but I but I can find something cheaper that will.  
    I think Apple would be insane to charge more for AirPower than AirPods. Barring some major technical reason that would drive up the cost, I suspect AirPower will be priced at around $99 -- which, by the way, is still way more expensive than other brand-name charging mats on the market.
    randominternetpersonentropysairnerdAirunJaeanantksundarammavemufc
  • Reply 4 of 27
    nhughes said:
    sdw2001 said:
    williamh said:
    I think Apple would be insane to charge more for AirPower than AirPods. Barring some major technical reason that would drive up the cost, I suspect AirPower will be priced at around $99 -- which, by the way, is still way more expensive than other brand-name charging mats on the market.
    I hope you are right. As a stockholder. For $99 I would consider to be the usual Apple mark up. I don’t think I would buy it, but I wouldn’t think it was totally insane.
    AirunJae
  • Reply 5 of 27
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Day one purchase for me.  In fact, one for my office desk and a 2nd for the nightstand.  Only problem, I fear, is it won’t work with the stainless link band on the watch.  Removing might be a show stopper.  Would be nice if it had a raised area to solve that problem. 
    AirunJaewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    nhughes said:
    sdw2001 said:
    williamh said:
    Sounds about right.  At $79 they would fly off the shelves.  At $199 they would be ridiculed in the main stream media.

In any case, I'm not going to be upgrading my AirPods just for this, so it won't be on my shopping list until the next iPhone release.
    AirunJae
  • Reply 7 of 27
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    nhughes said:
    sdw2001 said:
    williamh said:
    Sounds about right.  At $79 they would fly off the shelves.  At $199 they would be ridiculed in the main stream media.

In any case, I'm not going to be upgrading my AirPods just for this, so it won't be on my shopping list until the next iPhone release.
    Same here. I would need new iPhone, Series 3 watch, and AirPods case to make this interesting.  That”s at least $700+$329+$69+$99(?) just to charge stuff, but I do look forward to not having two kinds of chargers and the need for multiple lighting cables on the kitchen counter once I get there opportunistically. 
    randominternetpersonAirunJaeh2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    nhughes said:
    sdw2001 said:
    williamh said:
    Agreed. $99. And yes, I will buy the $69 case for my already bought AirPods and upgrade my SE to an SE2 with wireless charging. It sounds silly but once you are used to "dropping' your device onto a power pad instead of having to fiddle with plugging in the device, you can't go back. 

I'll buy three powermats. one for home/bedside, one for work and one for my car.  :)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    larrya said:
    nhughes said:
    sdw2001 said:
    williamh said:

Same here. I would need new iPhone, Series 3 watch, and AirPods case to make this interesting.  That”s at least $700+$329+$69+$99(?) just to charge stuff, but I do look forward to not having two kinds of chargers and the need for multiple lighting cables on the kitchen counter once I get there opportunistically. 
    Good points. (and maths)...I'm thinking to upgrade my series '0' AppleWatch with a next gen. chassis design. (I use it mainly for running) and will upgrade my Airpods with the next gen. Will buy the SE2 if it comes in rose gold and has wireless charging.
    AirunJaewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    May not buy it. On a daily basis, charging my iPhone X is my top priority, and using the 29W USB-C Power Adapter and a USB-C to Lightning cable gets the job done in no time.

edited February 2018 mike1AirunJaewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    I've held back on Airpods until they are available with the wireless charge case as a package, so I'll be picking up a pair hopefully real soon. The only reason I didn't jump straight on at their release was the hope that a black or space grey version would come out, but I've accepted that this is unlikely ever to happen, so now is the time! But one question - The way I read the article it sounds like the choice is between Qi only or Lightning only options… Are we expecting the wireless version not to have a Lightning port as well?
    mainyehcwatto_cobrakingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Why would you even be waiting for the 'airpower'?

Got a Triple QI charging pad from Ikea here in Thailand - works great and has a USB port for charging a non-qi device also.

It's $60 in the USA it seems....

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10308315/

ps they also do bedside lamps or tables with built in QI charger.

edited February 2018 propodh2p
  • Reply 13 of 27
    I have the single charging pad from IKEA that I put in my desk with a hole saw. Cost $12.99.  It works fine but you have to make sure the phone is oriented correctly. My understanding of the Apple thing is that you can lay devices on that mat any which way and they will charge. That will be an advantage over the IKEA chargers. Not a big enough advantage for me to pay a crazy amount, but not something to be overlooked entirely.
    AirunJaeh2pmainyehcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    I will sell my kidney and buys all of them
  • Reply 15 of 27
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    You can buy Qi charger for $10 to $40 today and we know that Apple has a little premium, but that premium is usually not 2x to 10x. This would have to wait and see purchase. 
  • Reply 16 of 27
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Day one purchase for me.  In fact, one for my office desk and a 2nd for the nightstand.  Only problem, I fear, is it won’t work with the stainless link band on the watch.  Removing might be a show stopper.  Would be nice if it had a raised area to solve that problem. 
    I'd make sure the electro-magnetic fields are not too strong around it, before I put it next to my head on the nightstand. 
  • Reply 17 of 27
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    I've held back on Airpods until they are available with the wireless charge case as a package, so I'll be picking up a pair hopefully real soon. The only reason I didn't jump straight on at their release was the hope that a black or space grey version would come out, but I've accepted that this is unlikely ever to happen, so now is the time! But one question - The way I read the article it sounds like the choice is between Qi only or Lightning only options… Are we expecting the wireless version not to have a Lightning port as well?
    I was doing the same but bought airpods last month.  So everyone is welcome, this is usually how things work for me...buy something just before a better version comes out.

however, no cares are given by this guy.  The airpods have been amazing (and amazingly simple) and I don't regret it at all.  I don't need to charge these nightly, not even weekly no more than I use them, so plugging in to charge the case once a week while at the office is fine. If the wireless case is just $69 then I might add it later, but will need to get a wireless charging phone first.  I printed a watch stand that works great for that charging/alarm so I'm set right now (except my desire to get a Macbook Pro but unable to justify at this time).  
  • Reply 18 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    bluefire1 said:
    May not buy it. On a daily basis, charging my iPhone X is my top priority, and using the 29W USB-C Power Adapter and a USB-C to Lightning cable gets the job done in no time.

As an added bonus, you actually get to use your phone while it's charging. Personally, I don't really get the wireless charging thing. I have an X and dropped it on the wireless charger at a Starbucks once just to see it work. To each, his own.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    williamh said:
    nhughes said:
    sdw2001 said:
    williamh said:
    I hope you are right. As a stockholder. For $99 I would consider to be the usual Apple mark up. I don’t think I would buy it, but I wouldn’t think it was totally insane.

Being a stockholder doesn't mean anything here, thanks for sharing. For ANY reasonable thinking person $199.00 for a charging pad is just plain crazy! Like unjustifiably crazy! 

• Reply 20 of 27
    My three $14.95 Qi chargers — in a stylish rosewood look — from Amazon.com work beautifully, thank you. One in the family room, one bedroom, and one office. 

There are are many good looking ones out there at that price. 

If this thing is priced at more than, $50, it’s a completed waste of time for Apple (and money for consumers).