First HomePod orders arrive as Apple publishes User Guide

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2018
HomePod is now on sale at Apple retail locations in Australia, New Zealand and other areas where the clock turned Friday, and customers who recently took receipt of the new smart speaker are posting photos of the device to social media outlets.

Source: Twitter user JJJing

As seen in the photo above, shared to Twitter by user "JJJing," HomePod sales have kicked off in Australia and other parts of the world. Apple currently has in-store supply on hand to serve walk-in customers, as well as stock for preorder pickups.

Those who purchased the device when it went up for sale last month are also seeing their orders arrive. Excited owners are currently posting pictures and video of their latest acquisitions to social media outlets including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat and more.

For example, Ross Hill in Australia took to Twitter to post a short clip of the speaker's setup process, seen below.

HomePod has arrived! pic.twitter.com/mNEGBlxZ2R

-- Ross Hill (@rosshill)

Customers in the UK are also posting photos of the device both in Apple stores and at home, though sales are not due to kick off for another 9 hours.

In conjunction with a start to sales, Apple published its official HomePod User Guide to its website, covering basic setup to more advanced features like HomeKit control and accessibility options.

The guide's landing page offers three helpful tips to get HomePod users started, including instructions on how to ask Siri to play music, set a timer and configure an alarm. With the latter, Apple note users who configured HomeKit scenes can tell the speaker, "Hey Siri, goodnight," to turn off lights, lock doors and lower thermostat temperatures.

Early reviews of Apple's first smart speaker entry were largely positive, with most critics lauding the device's premium audio quality. Reviewers were less impressed by Siri, however, saying the virtual assistant lacks key integrations found in competing technology offered by Amazon and Google.

A lack of support for third-party apps was seen as a negative, as Apple is currently limiting HomePod to Apple Music, iTunes and podcasts. Users can play music from other services over AirPlay, but the speaker lacks built-in integration present in competing devices like Amazon's Echo.

Initial HomePod supply is currently sold out on Apple's online storefront, with orders placed today due to arrive by Feb. 13. Customers still have a chance to pick one up on launch day by visiting their nearest Apple store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Which color will be more popular? I expect white would look better in most environments, but I'd worry about dust making it look less awesome over time.
    zroger73
  • Reply 2 of 23
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    When "Hey Siri" is said with a phone nearby along with the Homepod, what activates? 
  • Reply 3 of 23
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Which color will be more popular? I expect white would look better in most environments, but I'd worry about dust making it look less awesome over time.
    1) I went with Space Grey, since it'll be in the living room. If Apple ever comes out with something smaller and cheaper (once Siri is finished) I'd go for white in the kitchen and bathroom.

2) I'm not worried about dust but I am concerned about cats seeing that as a scratching post.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    NY1822 said:
    When "Hey Siri" is said with a phone nearby along with the Homepod, what activates? 
     If there’s no indication of direct interaction with the phone (such as activating Siri via headphones or home button) then the HomePod would take priority over 'Hey Siri'.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Soli said:
    1) I went with Space Grey, since it'll be in the living room. If Apple ever comes out with something smaller and cheaper (once Siri is finished) I'd go for white in the kitchen and bathroom.

2) I'm not worried about dust but I am concerned about cats seeing that as a scratching post.
    Tee up Scratching post-gate!
  • Reply 6 of 23

kevin kee said:
    NY1822 said:
     If there’s no indication of direct interaction with the phone (such as activating Siri via headphones or home button) then the HomePod would take priority over 'Hey Siri'.
    Really?  Does that mean your phone is constantly deciding "am I within range of my HomePod?" based on Bluetooth checks?
  • Reply 7 of 23

kevin kee said:
    NY1822 said:
    Really?  Does that mean your phone is constantly deciding "am I within range of my HomePod?" based on Bluetooth checks?
    That would be one way to do it. Another is for the server end of the system to disgard the less advantageous command. However, that assumes that the HomePod is tied to the iCloud user for that iDevice, which can become problematic for a home with more than user. At worst, those people will have to disable Hey Siri.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Soli said:

kevin kee said:
    NY1822 said:
    That would be one way to do it. Another is for the server end of the system to disgard the less advantageous command. However, that assumes that the HomePod is tied to the iCloud user for that iDevice, which can become problematic for a home with more than user. At worst, those people will have to disable Hey Siri.
    I wish Apple Watch and iPhone X would be better at determiningwhich wsy to go. When driving it often tries to do both simultaneously  
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 9 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    kevin kee said:
    NY1822 said:
    I would hope it would be the nearest device capable of responding to the request. If not, and considering the HomePod can be tied to only one account, there will be more than a few frustrated Siri users in homes with more than one Apple account holder. That's why multi-user support will end up as essential sooner rather than later IMO if HomePod is going to reach its potential.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 10 of 23

Source: Twitter user JJJing

When I first saw this pic, I was wondering "when the fuck did Apple start having holes in their boxes to display the product that is inside?". It looked so dreadfully cheap!

The 3D feel of the image, particularly the darker one, is just amazing.

#HomePodsForAll !

• Reply 11 of 23
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Got mine (UK)

Sounds good for a single speaker but sounds like single speaker and is obviously the ‘source’

Not a replacement for my main system. 
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:

Best thing to do is put in the hugely expensive cat basket you bought for him – then he won’t go near it. 
    Solilukeikingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Is there a reason the space gray HomePod doesn’t come in a black box?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    NY1822 said:
    That’s a very good question. 
  • Reply 15 of 23
    lukei said:
    Got mine (UK)

Sounds good for a single speaker but sounds like single speaker and is obviously the ‘source’

And how much did your main system cost?
    zroger73
  • Reply 16 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Interesting aside: The HomePods are shipping with iOS 11.2.5m and a beta build of 15D59. That would be an indication that a point release, non-beta update should be expected soon. 
    Soli
  • Reply 17 of 23
    gatorguy said:
    Interesting aside: The HomePods are shipping with iOS 11.2.5m and a beta build of 15D59. That would be an indication that a point release, non-beta update should be expected soon. 
    It's odd that it would be iOS and that it would ship with a beta.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    It's odd that it would be iOS and that it would ship with a beta.
    I was expecting podOS. 
  • Reply 19 of 23
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    lukei said:
    Got mine (UK)

And how much did your main system cost?
    Amp and speakers £450 new plus an airport express off eBay :)

Once Apple sort Airplay 2 this will fix the stereo separation and ‘sound source’ issue and then I’ll buy another two and replace my main system. For now it’s a bedroom device for me. 

Sounds loads better than a Play 1 that’s for sure. 

The size of the speaker is unreal. Even though I knew dimensions before it is still shockingly small. Which is great!
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 20 of 23
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    NY1822 said:
    HomePod has priority according to another site. Apparently there's an algorithm which uses unexplained parameters to decide which device's Siri gets the nod. But a HomePod, with it's superior mic receiver system, will always get the job if it's within range.