Sonos greets Apple HomePod's arrival with joking Spotify playlist

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2018
Sonos on Friday shared a special Spotify playlist on Twitter, taking a friendly jab at the Apple HomePod, its new competition in the Wi-Fi speaker market.

"Good luck with your HomePod launch Apple. We made you a playlist," the company wrote in its post. The playlist, in turn, spells out a more elaborate message using songs by artists like Adele, Daft Punk, and The xx.

"Hello Apple, something about us together feels right, even though you're crazy for this HomePod," the song titles join together to say. "Remember, two is better than one. Just playing. It's a party -- everybody's coming to my house, even you. Come as you are fruit machine. No matter what you're told, we're going to be friends over everything."

Although the message is joking, it may also be a subtle jab, as the HomePod lacks native Spotify support. While AirPlay is an option, Siri music commands are limited to iTunes and Apple Music.

The HomePod officially went on sale Friday, priced at $349. Early reviews have lauded its sound, but criticized its functionality versus smartspeakers from Amazon and Google.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Pretty creative to put together a playlist like that. Actually funny! Well done. 
    SoliBubbaTworandominternetpersonmavemufcsaltyzipchasmanton zuykovwillcropointbitmodmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 60
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gatorguy said:
    Pretty creative to put together a playlist like that. Actually funny! Well done. 
    I think it’s clever and fun, but a lot of people are taking umbrage with it on other forums.

edit: And this one, too. I thought AI would be a more reasonable bunch.
    edited February 2018 sandorlollivermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 60
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    Sonos is scared otherwise they would have ignored the HomePod release. 
    racerhomie3zroger73magman1979BluntStrangeDaysmarsorryjony0
  • Reply 4 of 60
    Sonos is scared that they will die soon.
    magman1979Bluntcornchip
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Hmm, went to my friendly neighborhood Apple store today and didn’t see any Sonos on the shelves. What’s it like at your store?
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Sonos is scared that they will die soon.
    They are probably more scared about Amazon and Google than the HomePod.  THomePod reviews have been impressive, however, Google and Amazon have bundled their VA with other speakers not to mention Spotify compatibility.  I think the HomePod will succeed, as history has shown their enough loyal Apple customers.

Sonos HomePod Playlist is clever!
  • Reply 7 of 60
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Its all fun and games to Sonos until HomePod starts killing their sales. I like how no company takes Apple seriously when they enter a new space. 
    magman1979anton zuykovbshankcornchip
  • Reply 8 of 60
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    That's the best Sonos can do.
    edited February 2018 magman1979anton zuykovbshank
  • Reply 9 of 60
    macxpress said:
    Its all fun and games to Sonos until HomePod starts killing their sales. I like how no company takes Apple seriously when they enter a new space. 
    They're obviously taking the HomePod seriously or they wouldn't have done this.  They are using this opportunity to draw some attention to their product line.  I wish them luck (not really) swimming with the most intimidating set of competitors imaginable.
    bshankcornchip
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Kind of funny, but do find it weird that every other company is so obsessed with Apple.
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 60
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    Not funny and verry predictable.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    rob53 said:
    Sonos is scared otherwise they would have ignored the HomePod release. 
    Please stop this snark, which has been thrown ad nauseam at Sonos in these forums. (I don't own the product, and I don't plan to. I've heard it in other people's homes, and I do have to say that the combo of the Play Ones + the Subwoofer is not bad at all; that combo is not cheap either, in fact it's much more expensive than a pair of HomePods).

It's quite understandable that they're "scared." They're a one-product company competing against an $800 billion multi-product behemoth. Moreover, in their defense, unlike companies such as Google and Samsung, they haven't stolen any ideas of IP from Apple, AFAIK. They're simply responding to an existential threat just as any small company would.
    gatorguypropodrandominternetpersonlollivermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 60
    BubbaTwo said:
     THomePod reviews have been impressive
    The verge only gave the homepod a score of 7.5
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 14 of 60
    anantksundaram said:
    They're a one-product company competing against an $800 billion multi-product behemoth.
    One product-category, for the most part, but Apple and Sonos barely intersect at this point and neither one of their single products that do intersect make up anything close to the majority of either company's revenue.

Sonos will surely come out with more speakers that include personal digital assistants, and they've already stated that they plan to include Google Home later this year. Just like with Android-based vendors competing amongst each other with Samsung as their top competitor, Sonos will be mostly be competing with non-Apple products, with Amazon Echo being the top competitor.. and that's just for the Sonos One.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 15 of 60
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I think what Sonos did is petty and shallow. It is very likely they feel threatened by HomePod. Plenty of people, real people, average consumer in twitter, reddit, social medias have been sharing their opinions on the device which provide a better and honest first impression.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This reminds me of how Microsoft laughed at the iPhone with little comedy sketches.  The landscape is littered with companies that didn't believe Apple could succeed in markets they thought they were safely entrenched in.  I have some advice ...  Be afraid Sonos, be very afraid.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 60
    MacPro said:
    This reminds me of how Microsoft laughed at the iPhone with little comedy sketches.  The landscape is littered with companies that didn't believe Apple could succeed in markets they thought they were safely entrenched in.  I have some advice ...  Be afraid Sonos, be very afraid.
    Really? You think a mock funeral is the same as actually welcoming a competitor to get some free press for your product?
    propodrandominternetpersoncornchiplollivermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Reminds me of the ad Apple made when the IBM PC was launched.
    GeorgeBMacrandominternetpersoncornchip
  • Reply 19 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Wow....
    Thin skins abound apparently. I saw it more as a friendly poke in a fun way, but several posters in this thread are taking it more as a personal affront, reason to circle the wagons and cheer for Sonos demise.  

Geesh, it wasn't all that long ago that Sonos was a favored Apple-friendly brand and spoken of highly here. So all it takes is a product from Apple that plays in the same space to change hearts and minds. 
    robbyxmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Hmm, went to my friendly neighborhood Apple store today and didn’t see any Sonos on the shelves. What’s it like at your store?
    Saw it at the local Best Buy. It was in the Apple section with the phones and watches. Whereas all the Sonos stuff is in the audio video part of the store with the stereo and TV equipment. I know the Sonos setup lets you listen to them. I’m not sure if it was that way with the Homepod.