Apple employees can buy HomePod at half price for limited time

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jdb8167 said:
    bitmod said:
    Show me where Apple uses the term 'HiFi'?

We completely reimagined how music should sound in the home. HomePod combines Apple-engineered audio technology and advanced software to deliver the highest-fidelity sound throughout the room, anywhere it’s placed.
    HiFi == high-fidelity

Apple is claiming very high quality audio. I don’t know if they would exaggerate that.
    Even if Apple had zero references to high fidelity, there's absolutely nothing about the term that would affect what we sound or shouldn't expect from the device.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    jdb8167 said:
    bitmod said:

We completely reimagined how music should sound in the home. HomePod combines Apple-engineered audio technology and advanced software to deliver the highest-fidelity sound throughout the room, anywhere it’s placed.
    HiFi == high-fidelity

Apple is claiming very high quality audio. I don’t know if they would exaggerate that.
    Well, they're confident, and why wouldn't they? They can easily let Beats do this, instead they risk putting their logo on it so of course they're confident.
    I can't believe I'll trust a speaker in $300-400 range but if they pull this off it will be the cheapest speaker in the market, despite its price tag. I mean "highest-fidelity sound throughout the room, anywhere it’s placed." and "distortion free music" are not claims of a speaker in a mere hundreds dollar price range. It's thousands at least.

Someone here said that HomePod is just a repackage of technologies other company already have in their products. That's simply not true. There is not a single speaker in the market that will dissect a song and redistribute it according to its placing because no speaker today has a brain/chip that good, unlike HomePod.
    edited February 2018 lolliverMacPro
  • Reply 63 of 76
    matrix077 said:
    There is not a single speaker in the market that will dissect a song and redistribute it according to its placing
    I was going to ask you about that concept, since you seem to know about high-end audio. This being a unique situation for any product, we’ll have to see how it operates in person before being able to draw any conclusions. To that end, how will Apple be able to showcase it? Will it be moved to the speaker section of Best Buy and put into those custom “living room” setups they use to showcase various setups? And there’s no way they’d build one of those for any Apple Store, so will they just ignore that feature in user tests there?
  • Reply 64 of 76
    matrix077 said:
    There is not a single speaker in the market that will dissect a song and redistribute it according to its placing
    I was going to ask you about that concept, since you seem to know about high-end audio. This being a unique situation for any product, we’ll have to see how it operates in person before being able to draw any conclusions. To that end, how will Apple be able to showcase it? Will it be moved to the speaker section of Best Buy and put into those custom “living room” setups they use to showcase various setups? And there’s no way they’d build one of those for any Apple Store, so will they just ignore that feature in user tests there?
    The perfect place to demo it would be an Apple Store since they are acoustically perfect. 
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • Reply 65 of 76
    MacPro said:
    macxpress said:
    MacPro said:
    supadav03 said:
    Guess i’ll be hitting up my friend who works at the Apple Store at the Galleria Mall to score one of these for me at half price ߘ즬t;br>
    I wonder if the employees have to sign some sort of agreement to prevent exactly what you suggest from happening.
    How is Apple going to know that you bought a HomePod and gave it to someone else? After you purchase it, Apple is in no position to tell you what you can and cannot do with something. 
    I agree, sorry if I wasn't clear, yes giving is one thing but I was thinking about reselling restrictions.
    Apple can ask you to account for the products you purchase for a specified amount of time. 
  • Reply 66 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    MacPro said:
    macxpress said:
    MacPro said:
    supadav03 said:
    Guess i’ll be hitting up my friend who works at the Apple Store at the Galleria Mall to score one of these for me at half price ߘ즬t;br>
    I wonder if the employees have to sign some sort of agreement to prevent exactly what you suggest from happening.
    How is Apple going to know that you bought a HomePod and gave it to someone else? After you purchase it, Apple is in no position to tell you what you can and cannot do with something. 
    I agree, sorry if I wasn't clear, yes giving is one thing but I was thinking about reselling restrictions.
    Apple can ask you to account for the products you purchase for a specified amount of time. 
    They could, but is there any evidence that they’ve ever done this outside of loaned devices for testing?
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 67 of 76
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    macxpress said:
    MacPro said:
    supadav03 said:
    They could, but is there any evidence that they’ve ever done this outside of loaned devices for testing?
    None that I have seen. I think it's more of a warning not to buy stuff cheap and resell it quickly. 
  • Reply 68 of 76
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    MacPro said:
    supadav03 said:
    I can't imagine how Apple wouldn't be able to see analytics for an internet connected device whose primary source of streaming music is from an Apple Music account.
    Then how is Apple going to know it was this very HomePod that was sold and now being used by someone else? Why would Apple really care anyways? Its getting the device in the hands of more people. Hell, maybe this person would decide to buy another at full price. 
    1) You're asking how would a company have an idea how a device with a digital serial number and MAC addresses for the various network connection types, various network account services, and IP address data can be used to track a device and its usage? I don't even know where to begin with something that I thought was common knowledge. Even with this forum it's very easy for AI's staff to figure out where you're posting from and if you're using aliases if you're using the same network to post.

2) Apple cares about analytics because they want to see patterns in how their devices are used, but that data is purposely anonymized because it's the aggregate that is important, not the outliers. Why they would care about a particular employee is selling a HomePod to make a profit doesn't blip my radar, and I doubt it would Apple's, unless there's been a problem with this in the past. My guess is that most employees enjoy using Apple products and getting these in the hands of employees helps sales.
    You're totally missing the point of my post. Why would Apple care if a retail store employee bought a HomePod for someone else and gave it to them? I know obviously Apple can track all of this shit and why they do it, but why would Apple care if someone got one at half price from an employee? 
    Why would Apple care if someone got one at half price from an employee?" is not the same query as "how is Apple going to know?" I answered both just to be sure.
    Fair enough. :smile: 
  • Reply 69 of 76
    macgui said:
    SendMcjak said:
    Selling like hot-cakes!
    Just like the Watch. What a dismal failure that turned out to be.
    Well its like every new product Apple releases needs to sell in iPhone type numbers or else its considered a failure. Most, including here (including myself), don't have a clue about the market Apple is entering with HomePod. You might think you do, but you don't. Very few here are in any position to call HomePod a failure. 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 70 of 76

MacPro said:
    macxpress said:
    MacPro said:
    supadav03 said:
    Yes I would think Apple would frown upon this, but I wonder if they actually try and stop it. 
  • Reply 71 of 76
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    macxpress said:
    MacPro said:
    supadav03 said:
    None that I have seen. I think it's more of a warning not to buy stuff cheap and resell it quickly. 
    Apple did that for the first Intel Macs for developers -- They shipped you a cheese grater. AIR, the price was $999.  Later you had to trade it in for an Intel iMac at no additional cost.  AIR, Apple paid shipping both ways for the trade in...  I have the trade-in Intel iMac in storage.

Apple's transition to Intel processors

Timeline

• Reply 72 of 76
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    macxpress said:
    macgui said:
    SendMcjak said:
    Selling like hot-cakes!
    Well its like every new product Apple releases needs to sell in iPhone type numbers or else its considered a failure. Most, including here (including myself), don't have a clue about the market Apple is entering with HomePod. You might think you do, but you don't. Very few here are in any position to call HomePod a failure. 
    Which was the point of my post.

And you don't know whether or not I have a clue. You obviously, admittedly don't. Your arrogance in thinking you can speak for me is amusing. But study the product objectively, as you should with any manufacturers' newly released products, and you can greatly narrow the field. The product, HomePod in this case, provides clues. As has Apple itself. You just need to pay attention.

Know Cook's game plan— I don't. Read clues— I can.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    macgui said:
    macxpress said:
    macgui said:
    SendMcjak said:
    Selling like hot-cakes!
    Which was the point of my post.

And you don't know whether or not I have a clue. You obviously, admittedly don't. Your arrogance in thinking you can speak for me is amusing. But study the product objectively, as you should with any manufacturers' newly released products, and you can greatly narrow the field. The product, HomePod in this case, provides clues. As has Apple itself. You just need to pay attention.

Know Cook's game plan— I don't. Read clues— I can.
    I was just using your post as a reference for what I said. I was in no way thinking one way or another what you were thinking. I wasn't trying to speak for you. It was a general post, but rolled off what you said which is why I quoted it. I apologize if you thought I was aiming my point directly at you. That was not my intent. 
  • Reply 74 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:
    bitmod said:

HiFi == high-fidelity

Even if Apple had zero references to high fidelity, there's absolutely nothing about the term that would affect what we sound or shouldn't expect from the device.
    The irony of many that get on their high horses about HiFi are of an older generation that were around during the golden age of HiFi, I know I was, I still miss my variable speed turntable but I do still hang on to a massive pair of Nightingale NM1 speakers.  Snag is, sadly most of us now process the hearing range of a door knob!  :(. I for one look forward to my new toy on the 9th and hope it helps me hear better.   Personally I'd like to see Apple add an app that allows the onboard tech to not only adapt to the environment but also to the hearing impaired, as in add a profile for your own hearing frequency responses.  I have read a lot about Apple working with hearing product technology companies but so far not seen anything come of this from Apple's side at least.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    Apple employees are getting a late Christmas gift from the tech giant in the form of a 50 percent discount on the new HomePod speaker, which hits store shelves at $349 next week.

According to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, Apple workers can take advantage of the hefty price cut for a period of two months.

Apple previously extended deep product discounts to employees when Apple Watch first launched in 2015. At the time, the Calif., company offered an identical 50 percent savings on Apple Watch and Apple Watch Sport models, and $500 off the solid gold Edition series.

Beyond the two month timeframe reported by Gurman, details of the HomePod discount are not yet known. However, Apple will likely follow a plan similar to the Apple Watch incentive, which offered discounts at preorder.

HomePod went up for sale last Friday ahead of a scheduled launch date of Feb. 9. The at-home speaker features high-end audio components including multi-tweeter and microphone arrays, as well as advanced algorithms designed to deliver room-filling sound.

Like other smart speakers currently for sale by Amazon and Google, HomePod supports a virtual assistant in Apple's Siri alongside compatibility with connected home accessories via HomeKit.

Most recently, Apple this week confirmed audio support for its diminutive speaker, noting compatibility with first-party services like Apple Music, Beats 1, iTunes purchases and Match tracks, and podcasts.