Google's next big Android update to support iPhone X-style 'notches'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Fandroids will eventually get the notch. Congratulations...lol.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 50
    avon b7 said:
    ROFL!!!!
    Oh well, if you can't beat them... etc etc

What's wrong in it? Much like Apple joined Android OEMs (particularly Samsung) in large screen phones, OLED display and high screen to body ratio display etc. Also like Android phones getting other features in iPhones like FDE, App level permissions, notification dots etc. Both platform benefit from each other and customers get a better phone at the end of the day.
    Because just throwing together a bunch of features usually doesn’t end up with a better user experience. And based on history so far I simply don’t see this changing any time soon on android side of things. I’m not saying that iOS is the flawless epitome of design here. But I do notice some step change from one platform to the other. But maybe that’s the reason why I never would consider an Android up till now while at the same time android users really might feel this as improvement. In the end, a Lada brings you from A to B as well. And if you don’t care about other things your use case might work out as opposed to, say, a BMW. However , if I’d ask some random 100 people if they’d prefer one car or the other I have a feeling what the answer might be. Regarding phones and many other things I feel that people are much to much trained to don’t care about design and functionality but for specs and price. Like they accepted the usability nightmares of VCRs or re it’s with 80+ buttons. YMMV
    I think if you asked 100 people about which system they preferred, you might see a higher proportion opting for Android.

iOS has had a shaky run on usability for many reasons and has a long list of utterly terrible usability problems.

Having used both, iOS on phones would have to change a lot for me to choose it over Android. Of course, there is Android and there is Android and there lies part of the problem. Which parts of iOS stand out for usability?
    Having used both and I hate Android. Beside the user configurable ability which I don't give the shit about, I hate it.
    BluntRayz2016magman1979watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 50
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    ROFLMAO! Not for what Google may be up to but at the notch haters here. This rumor is just so exquisitely delightful.
    While I am fine with Android OEMs & Google copying/implementing the good features (software/hardware) from iPhones to Android phones, it is all the more frustrating to see the not-so-good moves (of which there are plenty) from Apple being copied by Android OEMs blindly with no thought being put into them. This seems to be one of those moves which need not be copied but they copy it nevertheless because it has just become a habit to follow Apple, no matter what.
    Well, my reason for glee is that the iPhone X has been castigated constantly for the “notch” by the negativity crowd that infests Apple forum sites like AI. Everything Apple is put forth as no good, bad, deficient. These people heaped scorn and hatred on the iPhone X for its OLED screen and the “notch”. Samsung even made a condescending video showing an iPhone X user with a notch in his hairline. Now it seems the competition is contemplating the very same notch for the very same reasons Apple explained in its reasoning for the notch. It’s just too rich an hypocrisy to not take pleasure in it.
    The notch existed before Apple put one on the iPhone X and received equal amounts of scorn from some people. I don't think that part is limited to Apple. 

I have no problem with them. I'm sure Apple and everybody else who had them before (or will have them after) would prefer to have none at all, but the technology isn't there yet so you have to decide, notch or no notch.

The first notch came into being to maximise screen space, reducing side bezels and eliminating the head and or the chin of the phone. That trend has taken off so it's likely we'll see more of them.

If it becomes a frequent offering, the most logical step would be to support such displays in the core OS.

What technology gets put into them will determine how much space is taken out of the screen and if it's even worth the effort at all, but ultimately, it is the consumer who will decide.

I don't think it's such a big deal but can understand why someone could reject it.

• Reply 24 of 50
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    avon b7 said
    I think if you asked 100 people about which system they preferred, you might see a higher proportion opting for Android.

iOS has had a shaky run on usability for many reasons and has had a long list of utterly terrible usability problems.

Having used both, iOS on phones would have to change a lot for me to choose it over Android. Of course, there is Android and there is Android and there lies part of the problem. Which parts of iOS stand out for usability?

LOL they buy android because it's cheap they take the crappy os for granted.
    magman1979watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 50
    jsmythe00 said:
    If I see the note 9 with a notch I'll stick with my note 8. I doubt the big android players will notch their phones, especially after Samsung came out with that brilliant commercial growing up. 

With that said, how about you give me what I want .good phone with good features

There are no big android players besides samsung.
    Rayz2016watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 50
    avon b7 said:
    The notch existed before Apple put one on the iPhone X and received equal amounts of scorn from some people. I don't think that part is limited to Apple. 

Of course the notch existed it's just a basic design solution and it's also used in print. That's part of the problem fandroids don't no shit about design. Just like Windows freaks they care more about skins and shit like that. And looking at android and windows i can see why.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 50
    lkrupp said:
    ROFLMAO! Not for what Google may be up to but at the notch haters here. This rumor is just so exquisitely delightful.
    While I am fine with Android OEMs & Google copying/implementing the good features (software/hardware) from iPhones to Android phones, it is all the more frustrating to see the not-so-good moves (of which there are plenty) from Apple being copied by Android OEMs blindly with no thought being put into them. This seems to be one of those moves which need not be copied but they copy it nevertheless because it has just become a habit to follow Apple, no matter what.
    From what I remember, before Apple used the top notch, Essential phone used it, without having a version of Android optimized for it. So, I don't think Google is copying Apple, if anything, the other way around.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    AI_lias said:
    lkrupp said:
    From what I remember, before Apple used the top notch, Essential phone used it, without having a version of Android optimized for it. So, I don't think Google is copying Apple, if anything, the other way around.
    How exactly do you think that transpired? Wikipedia has the Essential Phone with its camera-only nub notch being debuted on 30 May 2017 and the iPhone X being announced on 12 Sept of that same year. That's only 105 days, and doesn't include any of the leaks we saw long before that (which may have been before Essential was announced) that indicated that the next iPhone would have a notch.

Do you really think it's conceivable that Apple saw that design on 30 May and then scraped what they were going to release that year in order to make a complete redesign, test, source components, ramp up manufacturing, and get everything else ready in under 4 months? Or, does this assume that Apple is involved in planting moles and engaging in corporate espionage? If the former, then that's a lot more faith in Apple to make rapid and amazing change than I could ever give them, and if the 
    latter that's a amazing level of deceit.

Personally, I don't think either one of those are valid claims for suggesting that Apple copied anything from the failed Essential Phone, especially when you see the vast differences of the implementation, the effort for Face ID, and how the bendable OLED displays are what now allow this (and the curved corners) to be possible.

Even if the times were reversed, I don't think it's possible for Essential to have copied Apple despite their requiring a much shorter lead-time due to less mind-share-releated scrutiny and considerably fewer components to source.
    edited February 2018 muthuk_vanalingamRayz2016magman1979StrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 50
    jsmythe00 said:
    If I see the note 9 with a notch I'll stick with my note 8. I doubt the big android players will notch their phones, especially after Samsung came out with that brilliant commercial growing up. 

With that said, how about you give me what I want .good phone with good features
    You know Samsung is hypocrite, right? They will have the notch sooner or later. The notch helps to maximize the screen estate with smallest chassis. Without the notch, Samsung has to use thicker top to cover sensors and bottom bezels for cosmetic proportion. So, that makes the phone look super long.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    lkrupp said:
    How exactly do you think that transpired? Wikipedia has the Essential Phone with its camera-only nub notch being debuted on 30 May 2017 and the iPhone X being announced on 12 Sept of that same year. That's only 105 days, and doesn't include any of the leaks we saw long before that (which may have been before Essential was announced) that indicated that the next iPhone would have a notch.

Do you really think it's conceivable that Apple saw that design on 30 May and then scraped what they were going to release that year in order to make a complete redesign, test, source components, ramp up manufacturing, and get everything else ready in under 4 months? Or, does this assume that Apple is involved in planting moles and engaging in corporate espionage? If the former, then that's a lot more faith in Apple to make rapid and amazing change than I could ever give them, and if the 
    latter that's a amazing level of deceit.

Personally, I don't think either one of those are valid claims for suggesting that Apple copied anything from the failed Essential Phone, especially when you see the vast differences of the implementation, the effort for Face ID, and how the bendable OLED displays are what now allow this (and the curved corners) to be possible.

Even if the times were reversed, I don't think it's possible for Essential to have copied Apple despite their requiring a much shorter lead-time due to less mind-share-releated scrutiny and considerably fewer components to source.
    I'm with you on this. For his ignorant comment. This video was released in early Jul 2017. I'll tell you what. Rumors about the notch was way before the release of Andy Ruben's Essential phone.

edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 50
    fallenjt said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    lkrupp said:

Do you really think it's conceivable that Apple saw that design on 30 May and then scraped what they were going to release that year in order to make a complete redesign, test, source components, ramp up manufacturing, and get everything else ready in under 4 months? Or, does this assume that Apple is involved in planting moles and engaging in corporate espionage? If the former, then that's a lot more faith in Apple to make rapid and amazing change than I could ever give them, and if the latter that's a amazing level of deceit.

I'm with you on this. For his ignorant comment. This video was released in early Jul 2017. I'll tell you what. Rumors about the notch was way before the release of Andy Ruben's Essential phone.

[video]
    It's crazy how much of that accurate (like the exact screen size, notch size, camera size and placement, and overall size in 3 dimensions) for multiple vendors, and yet they have the name wrong. I'm guessing it's because Apple knows they need a lead time for drawing up their own designs based Apple's specs, but only give them what they need to have. Funny that one had iPhone 8 despite iPhone 7S being the next name if they followed the pattern. I wonder if they got that from rumours or knew about the non-notched version which they assumed would be iPhone 7S so they gave it a tentative 8 label.

edit: These public plans were last updated on 21 Sept 2017, 9 days after the iPhone event. Note that it does say R4 on the PDF which I assume is 4th revision. See section 16.1 for the iPhone X specs.

• Reply 32 of 50
    The funny thing about this is that it sounds like the headphone jack scenario all over again.

When Apple removed the headphone jack there were a lot of criticisms and uproar.

Then Android OEMs started following it.

Even Google, who first criticized the iPhone’s lack of headphone jack in its Google Pixel ads, eventually left out the headphone jack in the Pixel 2.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Soli said:
    ROFL!!!!
    Oh well, if you can't beat them... etc etc

What's wrong in it? Much like Apple joined Android OEMs (particularly Samsung) in large screen phones, OLED display and high screen to body ratio display etc. Also like Android phones getting other features in iPhones like FDE, App level permissions, notification dots etc. Both platform benefit from each other and customers get a better phone at the end of the day.
    You mention technology and yet this is talking about aesthetics (look and feel). You might as well claim the iPhone will copy whether devices come out with 5G radio since Apple won't be first to market with the inevitable tech.
      Not sure why Apple is NOT suing them and take them to task.
    Because the majority of those phones are not sold in the US officially?
    When you buy one of those knockoffs, they get shipped from  outside of the US to a US located customer.
    You can't stop that, no matter who and for how much you sue.
    Besides, suing those companies in China would be like suing Gazprom in Putin's in Russia...
  • Reply 34 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    maestro64 said:
    That is okay most Android users which not see any of these improvements for years, I think only 0.6% of the latest Android and that has been around for a while.
    That high?  ROFL

Wait ... where is the resident Google representative in this thread?
    edited February 2018 magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 50
    maestro64 said:
    That is okay most Android users which not see any of these improvements for years, I think only 0.6% of the latest Android and that has been around for a while.
    MacPro said:
    maestro64 said:
    That high?  ROFL
    This stuff is easily looked up.

You either have 1.1% for Android 8.x "Oreo," or 0.3% for 8.1 which contains API level 27 (as opposed to API level 26 for 8.0).

I think the API level is the most apropos method since it affects what developers can build up to, as opposed to a version nomenclature that can be arbitrary and fluctuate as the vendor sees fit.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 36 of 50
    lkrupp said:
    Nonsense. Apple didn’t invent the notch. Steve Jobs stole it from Xerox PARC. Apple never truly invented anything™️
    magman1979SoliStrangeDays
  • Reply 37 of 50
    chasm said:
    But but but the notch is hideous!! Major Apple design flaw!!

(Notch comes to Android phones)

Ah, it just fades away when you’re using it.

Lol ...
    “It is the obvious solution to zero bezel screens.”
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 50

Android P will be Pineapple, since Google is pining to be Apple.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Android P will be Pineapple, since Google is pining to be Apple.

Very good! I see whatcha did there!

• Reply 40 of 50
    Awaiting Android user's outrage and mocking...oh wait...
    watto_cobra