Apple's MacBook lineup now world's fourth-largest notebook brand

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Apple's share of the global laptop market climbed from 8.3 to 9.6 percent during 2017, allowing the company to rise from fifth to fourth place.

Apple swapped places with ASUS, which dropped from 10.3 to 9.5 percent, according to research firm TrendForce. In fact Apple and HP were the only vendors to increase their marketshare, the latter consolidating its lead by growing from 22.4 percent to 24.3.

Lenovo, Dell, and Acer held on to second, third, and sixth place respectively, but ceded shipments to Apple and HP. Even cumulative shipments to "other" laptop makers declined from 13.8 percent to 13.

Overall shipments grew from 161.2 million to 164.7 million. Numbers are forecast to shrink to 163.8 million this year, but with still more share -- 10.4 percent -- going to Apple.

The company's 2018 MacBook plans are largely unknown. Most recently a rumor claimed that as many as three Macs will use Apple-designed T-series co-processors, including new MacBooks and a desktop refresh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,148member
    I bet MBAs are the top seller.

i have never seen a MacBook outside of a retailer display.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    entropys said:

Maybe you are in the wrong circles, engineers / pros whatever who use MBr's (seldom) MBA's. You see plenty. I recently travelled east to west coast - saw plenty MBA, even rose gold version.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 45
    It amazes me people still use PC's. Poor bastards. I feel sorry for them. I bought one the other day to run some DMX software as I didn't want my Macbook somewhere it would get trashed. That's the first time in years I have used a PC. What's remarkable is that PC's haven't upped their game, in fact they seem to be worse than I ever remembered. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Jason Snell (of The Incomparable podcasts) theorizes Apple could revive the “iBook” name with an iOS-based laptop, to compete with the Android-based laptops that are out there now.
    GeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 5 of 45
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Jason Snell (of The Incomparable podcasts) theorizes Apple could revive the “iBook” name with an iOS-based laptop, to compete with the Android-based laptops that are out there now.
    The first thing laptop needs is mouse support. 
  • Reply 6 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Watching TV shows these days you'd thing Macs are the only laptop out there!
    dewmeSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 45
    entropys said:

Maybe you are in the wrong circles, engineers / pros whatever who use MBr's (seldom) MBA's. You see plenty. I recently travelled east to west coast - saw plenty MBA, even rose gold version.
    I'm assuming the reference was to the 12-inch MacBook nothing, not MacBooks as a whole, in which case I agree. I also have never seen a MacBook in the wild. When we bought our daughter her first high school laptop, we debated the MBA vs MB. When comparing similarly-priced configurations, the MacBook Air is simply more powerful. A tiny amount of portability and the retina screen is sacrificed in leu of a far more powerful processor, and a greater number of useful ports.
    entropyscgWerksSpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Another example of someone recommending something that has no purpose. 
    macxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 45
    MacPro said:
    These days or any days in the last few decades.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 45
    anomeanome Posts: 1,531member

I think they're more likely to revive the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMate_300]eMate[/url] name.

Think about it. It was a notebook running a palmtop OS, with a touch screen. Surprisingly successful, despite the received wisdom that the Newton failed, especially in the education market.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 45
    MacPro said:
    Unfortunately, that's not the case. There are a lot of series, and even blockbuster movies, falling prey to Microsoft's marketing campaign for Surfaces! That is one piece of hardware that I never saw in person! Every time I see them in a show/movie, I ask myself, did the producing company really needed the additional money so bad? In my gut, it feel like a blemish in the story being told. This brought me a memory from 2011, when I bought my iPad 2 (that I haven't replaced yet). I had an old PC, so my iPad was my primary computing device. A lot of colleagues appeared interested, but balked at the price. Months later some of them started to show off their Xoom and Playbook tablets... funny thing that, after a couple of weeks, they never brought them again. They are probably forgotten, on their drawers ever since, while my iPad still sees daily use! The only reason people don't see more Apple gear, everywhere, is that most people who have the pocket to buy them—because they really aren't inexpensive, specially outside the US—don't account for the total cost of ownership, how well these products age, and even the price you could get from re-sale.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 12 of 45
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Apple could do so well in laptop market(high school,college,small businesses,casual users) if offers decent GO TO one each 13", 15" Macbook Pro without that touch strip at reasonable price. For example, 13" MBP with 8GB RAM,256GB SSD between $1199-$1299. Apple can always charge higher for upgrades, all bells and whistles and no one will complain.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,148member
    entropys said:

Pros use MBr? You mean MBP surely.

My order of observation (education/research) would be MBA> MBP> never seen MB.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Apple: Please release a 13" MacBook. I will buy one on day one. Thin. Wonderful. My small one is great but too small.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 45
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    wood1208 said:
    Apple could do so well in laptop market(high school,college,small businesses,casual users) if offers decent GO TO one each 13", 15" Macbook Pro without that touch strip at reasonable price. For example, 13" MBP with 8GB RAM,256GB SSD between $1199-$1299. Apple can always charge higher for upgrades, all bells and whistles and no one will complain.
    Yea, imagine how many they would have sold if they hadn't raised the price and added the touch-strip (well, and put in a horrible keyboard, and got rid of the ports, etc.). You used to be able to get non-MacBook Air Apple laptops at semi-reasonable prices.

entropys said:
    Pros use MBr? You mean MBP surely.
    My order of observation (education/research) would be MBA> MBP> never seen MB.
    Yea, I know a friend who has a MB (who I haven't seen in person since he got it), but I've yet to see one outside a store either. There can't be that many of them, at least not by comparison.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    entropys said:

I have seen them!
    Even in South East Asia.
    But 2012-2017 MacBook Pros are most popular.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Keep in mind that the lifespan of an Apple laptop is MUCH longer than an HP, Lenovo, or Dell. The numbers don’t tell the whole story. If an HP lasts 3 years you are lucky. They might sell two or three HP’s to equal the service of an Apple laptop. I am still keeping a mid 2008 first gen aluminum MacBook (not Pro) alive and well. I would take it over a brand new Model from the top three. My newer Apple laptops are just all the more sweet.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Surprising considering the fact that MacBooks sport up to 3 generations old technology, yay DDR3 in 2018! But then again people just buy them for status. They used to have a huge lead in build quality but as of 2016 the gap has and continues to shrink. 
  • Reply 19 of 45
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    entropys said:

I'm assuming the reference was to the 12-inch MacBook nothing, not MacBooks as a whole, in which case I agree. I also have never seen a MacBook in the wild. When we bought our daughter her first high school laptop, we debated the MBA vs MB. When comparing similarly-priced configurations, the MacBook Air is simply more powerful. A tiny amount of portability and the retina screen is sacrificed in leu of a far more powerful processor, and a greater number of useful ports.
    Was at a customer just last week and around half the staff had 12 inch MacBooks. Lots of execs at our company have them as travelling notebooks. They are out there. 
  • Reply 20 of 45
    croprcropr Posts: 1,121member
    MisterKit said:
    Keep in mind that the lifespan of an Apple laptop is MUCH longer than an HP, Lenovo, or Dell. The numbers don’t tell the whole story. If an HP lasts 3 years you are lucky. They might sell two or three HP’s to equal the service of an Apple laptop. I am still keeping a mid 2008 first gen aluminum MacBook (not Pro) alive and well. I would take it over a brand new Model from the top three. My newer Apple laptops are just all the more sweet.
    I have founded my company in 2012 and have bought a mix of MBP and Ubuntu based Dell XPS laptops (about 10 each).  If I count the  hardware defects, the Dell XPS scores clearly better (2  vs 6 for the MBP).    Of course my computer park is not that big, but still this is a good indication.     The biggest issue is the Magsafe power adapter (3 defects)
    edited February 2018 avon b7