Verizon to join other carriers in temporarily locking new iPhones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    bobroo said:
    I just want to know, when does it become MY PHONE????

As an iPhone 6 (quote) owner (unquote) and a Verizon customer....I don't think both companies ever relinquish control. Somehow Apple and Verizon interest trumps whatever I paid for the device or whatever I prepaid to use their cellular service.

I don't understand.....
    It becomes your phone when you pay it off. If you buy unlocked phones, you don't have to worry about that. The new policy isn't going to affect current users, just people who buy new phones. So your iPhone 6 won't be locked. 
    It affects new users who want to outright-buy the new iPhone when it ships, then travel.  The Apple-unlocked phones never go on sale until
    at least a month after the carrier-locked versions go on sale.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 22 of 31
    maestro64 said:
    I unlocked my old ATT phone for my nephew a couple weeks ago. They unlocked it within 24 hours. Not sure why the author says 14 days to unlock. But it’s not accurate at all. As a matter of fact I was able to do it online without having to visit the store at all. 
    I have done the same, and the unlock was immediate did not have to wait. I did it online, put in the information hit unlock and got an email a few minutes later darting it was unlocked.

I am truly glad that AT&T has improved their unlock process to actually work now.  I've unlocked four AT&T iPhones, the first of which took two months, after the phone was unlock eligible, to actually get it unlocked.  The unlock website was either down, wouldn't let me complete the process, or would say it was complete, but didn't actually unlock the phone.  Then I went to the store, and they had to use the same exact website, which didn't work in the same way it didn't work for me.  Finally, I had to say, "either I walk out of here with an unlocked phone, or I walk out of here to another carrier."  Amazingly, after that, it worked.

The other three phones didn't take that long, only because after the first couple of website failures, I immediately fell back on the "either..." strategy at the store.

I will never buy another phone from AT&T again.  Even though I'm generally satisfied with their service and price (after my employer discount), their laziness with regards to some services is annoying.  I buy all my phones from Apple now, and won't let anyone on my account buy from AT&T either. :)

• Reply 23 of 31
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    ... also locking device because of theft from clumsy and badly protected shipping service sounds odd. But I do agree that people should have guns legally in all places that have crime issue, bad policies and laws and protect criminals. Just in case... as deterrent measure.
    Was that nonsense necessary?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Not good news for me. I frequently travel overseas and always purchase local SIM cards to put in my Verizon iPhone. The next iPhone, I'll have to buy the unlocked version. 
    My cell requirements are:
    1) Always buy an Apple Factory unlocked ("Sim Free") phone.
    2) Only use carrier plans that have no contract -- month to month only

That way, if a carrier abuses my business, I can just shift to another carrier.  

• Reply 25 of 31
    wizard69 said:
    Completely stupid.   If they are having problems with fraud there is one concept they need to learn, DEAD people don't commit crime.    I don't understand the current liberal desire to punish the innocent and let the guilty live.
    How much do they pay you trolls comrade?
  • Reply 26 of 31
    bobroo said:

As an iPhone 6 (quote) owner (unquote) and a Verizon customer....I don't think both companies ever relinquish control. Somehow Apple and Verizon interest trumps whatever I paid for the device or whatever I prepaid to use their cellular service.

I don't understand.....
    It becomes your phone when you pay it off. If you buy unlocked phones, you don't have to worry about that. The new policy isn't going to affect current users, just people who buy new phones. So your iPhone 6 won't be locked. 
    I don't think you and Apple understand; I bought my $750 iPhone 6 a lousy two years ago. For my needs it works fine. It works fine until Apple sneaks updates into it in the middle of the night. It works fine until it is throttled, ya' know so it doesn't get shut down by a lack of battery juice--as a precaution (wink, wink). It works fine until Apple puts implements default screens to trick me into buying a Apple Music subscription. It works fine until I download a never well described Apple update and then older apps I paid money for are unusable because they are unsupported. 

And now Verizon is playing the same game. If I were to buy a new iPhone from Verizon and pay the upfront price--I still can't use it in a way I would like to for an undetermined amount of time--because of security (wink, wink).

What a rip-off!
  • Reply 27 of 31
    maestro64 said:
    I unlocked my old ATT phone for my nephew a couple weeks ago. They unlocked it within 24 hours. Not sure why the author says 14 days to unlock. But it’s not accurate at all. As a matter of fact I was able to do it online without having to visit the store at all. 
    I have done the same, and the unlock was immediate did not have to wait. I did it online, put in the information hit unlock and got an email a few minutes later darting it was unlocked.
    I went down that path not too long ago as well, just to have it done and I don't think I ever finished because I thought there was a step requiring a restore from new, or restore from backup or something.  I wasn't at my home computer when doing it, so not sure I ever completed the process.  Did you have to do some sort of reset?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Great idea, let’s kill people who steal phones. And yet you’ll tote your AR to church and open your bible smugly while the preacher preaches the fear of the Muslims who can’t sleep at night right now because they’re so busy trying to bring Sharia Law to your small town Mississippi. ...And I’m not a liberal FYI. Just a rational person.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    maestro64 said:
    If you locked your phone with your finger print and pass code the phone is useless to thrives there is no way to reset the phone back to factory new. Someone will have to steal the phone before someone sets it up. I guess this is the issue the phone company are having.
    Yes, I believe that’s the issue here also. I’ve seen a big uptick in cell phone store robberies. The scumbags can’t sell the phones already sold and made secure by users so they’re getting them “unprotected” from the stores instead. BUT this tactic is now also failing for the criminals. Just within the past month I saw a story about a store robbery which was ultimately foiled because there was some undisclosed means of tracking unopened cell phones by police. Neither the police nor the news provided details as to how this was being achieved.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    bobroo said:
    bobroo said:

I don't understand.....
    I don't think you and Apple understand; I bought my $750 iPhone 6 a lousy two years ago. For my needs it works fine. It works fine until Apple sneaks updates into it in the middle of the night. It works fine until it is throttled, ya' know so it doesn't get shut down by a lack of battery juice--as a precaution (wink, wink). It works fine until Apple puts implements default screens to trick me into buying a Apple Music subscription. It works fine until I download a never well described Apple update and then older apps I paid money for are unusable because they are unsupported. 

And now Verizon is playing the same game. If I were to buy a new iPhone from Verizon and pay the upfront price--I still can't use it in a way I would like to for an undetermined amount of time--because of security (wink, wink).

What a rip-off!
    How does Apple sneak updates into your phone in the middle of the night?
    Default screens to trick you into buying an Apple Music subscription?
    The old 32 bit apps are unsupported on the new 64 bit OS and you didn't even read about the new update disabling them after 2 years of using the apps (then not yanking the chain of the developers to provide a 64 bit app since they took your money)?

Watch out for Nigerian Princes offering to give you money - it's a trap.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 31 of 31
    How does Apple sneak updates into your phone in the middle of the night?

Actually if you don't update to the latest iOS version, Apple will eventually force update your phone over night (granted it takes months before they do that). I had a message from Pioneer that the CarPlay might not function with the latest iOS update and not update my phone until they update their firmware for the CarPlay. Well, when I logged into my iPhone and it said that will automatically update at night. I didn't want this, so I read on a forum to disable this, delete the automatically download package so it can't install.