Apple's MacBook lineup now world's fourth-largest notebook brand

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    rinosaur said:
    Surprising considering the fact that MacBooks sport up to 3 generations old technology, yay DDR3 in 2018! But then again people just buy them for status. They used to have a huge lead in build quality but as of 2016 the gap has and continues to shrink. 
    People also join sites to post silly troll nonsense so they can feel cool, and have "status" with their super cool buddies. Honestly every time I hear or read a person say that someone buys an iPhone or whatever Apple product for "status" it makes me want to punch them square in the face. It's so silly and insulting.

cgWerks
  • Reply 42 of 45
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    gatorguy said:
    What's a computer?

A computer is kind of like a car, or maybe a truck. And it comes round to your house and dumps a big pile of tubes on your lawn that contain the internets. Then you hook all the tubes up and you can watch your TV shows, or buy stuff off the Amazon.

But you need to be careful, because some of those tubes go to places with no light, that are full of spiders. They're called "the dark webs", and if you're not careful you might buy some "cryptic currency", or accidentally traffic some humans, or be eaten by a grue or something.

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 43 of 45
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    danvm said:
    The lifespan Apple is much longer than cheap HP, Lenovo or Dell PC's.  But have in mind that not all of their models are cheap.  Personally I work with business and high end models, and are as good or better than Apple.  Most of my customers have 5+ PC's running without issues.  Even Schiller mention that there are 600M PC's with +5 years.  So maybe the lifespan you mention of 3yr is not the rule.  
    Well, Macs used to last a long, long time. Now they just last a long time. 5-10 years wasn't uncommon at all, though usually if you wanted to keep up in performance, you upgraded for that reason, not because they died or were no longer usable (compatible). In the last decade or two, the 'live expectancy' has been pushed down a bit, but that's mostly due to software/OS compatibility, not because they break.

I also just sold a 5+ yr old Dell laptop, which was more than adequate for the student who bought it. It's faster than the computer I'm typing this on. It's main downside was the GPU, which wouldn't be able to do much anymore these days (and my GPU is faster on my MBA). The myth of the <5yr PC is more about the fact that they sell a lot of ~$500 PCs. But, if you spend even close to Mac prices on a PC, it will typically last as well.

jcs2305 said:
    People also join sites to post silly troll nonsense so they can feel cool, and have "status" with their super cool buddies. Honestly every time I hear or read a person say that someone buys an iPhone or whatever Apple product for "status" it makes me want to punch them square in the face. It's so silly and insulting.
    I feel the same about Macs, and also cars (like BMW). Unfortunately, Apple has now succeeded in becoming a status symbol (which was the criticism we Mac-evangelists worked so hard against all those years). :(
  • Reply 44 of 45
    dewme said:
    MacPro said:
    Watching TV shows these days you'd thing Macs are the only laptop out there!
    Unfortunately, that's not the case. There are a lot of series, and even blockbuster movies, falling prey to Microsoft's marketing campaign for Surfaces! That is one piece of hardware that I never saw in person! Every time I see them in a show/movie, I ask myself, did the producing company really needed the additional money so bad? In my gut, it feel like a blemish in the story being told. This brought me a memory from 2011, when I bought my iPad 2 (that I haven't replaced yet). I had an old PC, so my iPad was my primary computing device. A lot of colleagues appeared interested, but balked at the price. Months later some of them started to show off their Xoom and Playbook tablets... funny thing that, after a couple of weeks, they never brought them again. They are probably forgotten, on their drawers ever since, while my iPad still sees daily use! The only reason people don't see more Apple gear, everywhere, is that most people who have the pocket to buy them—because they really aren't inexpensive, specially outside the US—don't account for the total cost of ownership, how well these products age, and even the price you could get from re-sale.
    I do have to say that coach Bill Belichick's "endorsement" of the Microsoft Surface product line is second to none.  :D
    It’s a smash hit!
  • Reply 45 of 45
    anome said:
    gatorguy said:
    What's a computer?

A computer is kind of like a car, or maybe a truck. And it comes round to your house and dumps a big pile of tubes on your lawn that contain the internets. Then you hook all the tubes up and you can watch your TV shows, or buy stuff off the Amazon.

But you need to be careful, because some of those tubes go to places with no light, that are full of spiders. They're called "the dark webs", and if you're not careful you might buy some "cryptic currency", or accidentally traffic some humans, or be eaten by a grue or something.

Hmmm... Inter-tubes, eh?