Consumer Reports' dismissal of HomePod a familiar tale to Apple fans [u]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 109

Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them. In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know. – Michael Crichton

pscooter63randominternetperson
  • Reply 82 of 109
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    In case you don't go back to the main story, Consumer Reports has issued a rebuttal to the editorial

I have already updated the story with a pertinent fact that I messed up -- they issued their proclamation on Friday after less than a day of evaluation and comparison between the competing product, and not Monday after four.

While we have sent CR emails, they have yet to respond to two from the 2016 MacBook Pro debacle, and one from this one. We'll see if they respond this time.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 83 of 109
    In case you don't go back to the main story, Consumer Reports has issued a rebuttal to the editorial

I have already updated the story with a pertinent fact that I messed up -- they issued their proclamation on Friday after less than a day of evaluation and comparison between the competing product, and not Monday after four.

While we have sent CR emails, they have yet to respond to two from the 2016 MacBook Pro debacle, and one from this one. We'll see if they respond this time.
    CR's response said "...we did not get any questions from AppleInsider. It would seem that contacting us for a story about us would be the fair approach." I trust that you sent them an email before your article was posted--how could they claim this?

Looking forward to the AI reply to CR response.

PS: I guess it's nice to know they are paying attention to you guys...
  • Reply 84 of 109
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    fredtwd said:
    I will not comment on CR either way; however, even though I have been a long time Apple fanboy, I have to agree with CRs assessment about the sound quality of the HomePod.  As always, I pre-oreder the new Apple product and was excited to pick it up on Friday.  I got home and set it up and tried to convince myself that it sounded as good as all the reviews said it sounded.  After a couple of days I figured that, perhaps, I got a bum speaker.  I went out a bought a second HomePod and it sounded exactly the same.

I totally agree with: "the midrange tones were somewhat hazy, meaning that some of the nuance in vocals, guitars, and horns was lost ... Treble sounds, like cymbals, were underemphasized.".  I was also some disappointed with  how loud they would go.

I'm clearly in the minority.  As a long-time Apple fan, it's disappointing.  I will live with the HomePod a few more days; however, I'm pretty sure I will be returning them this weekend.

right... I have two and I have no such thing. Return it. Go ahead.
  • Reply 85 of 109
    Not unexpected behavior from Consumer Reports. I was a little concerned with their handling of the iPhone 4 and its 'antennagate' issue. The point I dumped my subscription was after I experienced a dramatic, repeatable engineering design failure of a 'five star' rated weed trimmer. This top brand trimmer would run, at most, for an hour or two before melting the plastic drive pulley in its belt drive system. Being inquisitive, I opened it up to determine if the belt had merely slipped off, but that voided the short warranty. No problem! I went down to my local parts supply depot—and found that the pulley was part of a motor assembly expensive enough to make repair an idiot's game, knowing the probably outcome. So long to that brand and good riddance to Consumer Reports. Over ten years later I still don't take their reviews seriously.
  • Reply 86 of 109
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

CR's response said "...we did not get any questions from AppleInsider. It would seem that contacting us for a story about us would be the fair approach." I trust that you sent them an email before your article was posted--how could they claim this?

They'll look like dumbasses for the hack job and their reputation will suffer a bit more as they slink ever further into irrelevance.
    roundaboutnowpscooter63
  • Reply 87 of 109

We did send an email Monday night, yes. We used their form for contact, so why they didn't get it, I'm not entirely sure. That's less of an issue now, unless they don't respond to the email I sent about an hour ago.

I don't feel that they addressed any of the concerns in our article today, but they may yet in response to the questions. In one aspect, it's worse, as they published their account of what was better on Friday instead of my read as Monday, after only having it for a few hours.
    edited February 2018 Soli
  • Reply 88 of 109
    I loved this story especially since I have had a HomePod since Saturday night wow and can I mention har de har har?

Seriously thinking of AAPL After this wonderful experience
    pscooter63
  • Reply 89 of 109
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    I think it is entirely fair to say that the Google Max, the Sonos One, and the HomePod are all comparable speakers, and it is further fair to say that each one has some area in which they hold an advantage over the others.

CR is entitled to their opinion, but as their now-admitted "methodology" consists of "a listening room" with "experienced testers," they have now revealed that their tests thus far include zero scientific measuring, and an entirely subjective panel of humans. So I'm not surprised they came up with something slightly different than some other reviews that use that same methodology (see also David Pogue's testing, which saw similar results).

Their more extensive testing (which will presumably involve the first bit of objective data on the matter) may end up with different results, but their flaw here is not having an opinion that differs from the mainstream of subjective reviews: their flaw is publishing unsubstantiated claims after too short a period of time and putting their name on it, rather than taking their previous course of waiting until testing was fully finished before reporting.
  • Reply 90 of 109
    This is absolutely nothing new. I remember a "computer round up" review in which they shot down a Mac because it did not have an Ethernet card. The Mac didn't need a card. It already had 1000 BaseT built into the motherboard. This ridiculously stupid mistake was never corrected in subsequent issues.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 91 of 109
    At about 10PM ET last night, Consumer Reports responded to my e-mail. But, it wasn't with answers to the three questions I asked, including why their account of the MacBook Pro engagement ended differs with Apple's, and how the thought process evolved about how they decided to talk about the HomePod in comparison to its competitors after a less than a full day -- but instead with an invitation to talk to a few members of the Consumer Reports team.

We will take them up on the offer.
    edited February 2018 ihatescreennamesSoli
  • Reply 92 of 109
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    At about 10PM ET last night, Consumer Reports responded to my e-mail. But, it wasn't with answers to the three questions I asked, including why their account of the MacBook Pro engagement ended differs with Apple's, and how the thought process evolved about how they decided to talk about the HomePod in comparison to its competitors after a less than a full day -- but instead with an invitation to talk to a few members of the Consumer Reports team.

It's certainly encouraging that they would reach out to start the process of communicating more directly, IMHO an unexpected turn of events.  It can only help in clearing up perceived confusion, better understanding of methodologies and the reasoning behind them, and a chance for you to suggest changes and why. Kudos to both you and CR, and big thanks for keeping us all advised. 

It would be better if the discussions were face-to-face if possible as email and texts aren't a very efficient way of getting answers to all the questions that might arise.  Is that out-of-the-question?
    edited February 2018 muthuk_vanalingamroundaboutnow
  • Reply 93 of 109
    gatorguy said:

It's certainly encouraging that they would reach out to start the process of communicating more directly, IMHO an unexpected turn of events.  It can only help in clearing up perceived confusion, better understanding of methodologies and the reasoning behind them, and a chance for you to suggest changes and why. Kudos to both you and CR, and big thanks for keeping us all advised. 

It would be better if the discussions were face-to-face if possible as email and texts aren't a very efficient way of getting answers to all the questions that might arise.  Is that out-of-the-question?
    In person is possible - how probable it is, is unclear. CR has offices in DC and NYC, locations that we have staff. There are a lot of factors that have to be considered, not the least of which are logistics. They have a staff of about 2000. We have a staff of 10.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 94 of 109
    gatorguy said:

In person is possible - how probable it is, is unclear. CR has offices in DC and NYC, locations that we have staff. There are a lot of factors that have to be considered, not the least of which are logistics. They have a staff of about 2000. We have a staff of 10.
    Mike, we host members of the media and industry all the time. Our main office and test center is in NY. We're only around 500 in staff total in all our locations. We're waiting on your call and happy to coordinate a discussion.
    gatorguySoliking editor the grate
  • Reply 95 of 109
    gatorguy said:

Mike, we host members of the media and industry all the time. Our main office and test center is in NY. We're only around 500 in staff total in all our locations. We're waiting on your call and happy to coordinate a discussion.
    The logistical issues aren't your issue -- they're ours. We're working through the morning news, and we'll be in touch.
    Soli
  • Reply 96 of 109
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quite impressed that she's personally involved herself with this thread. That's the way misunderstanding and disagreement should be addressed. My opinion of Consumer Reports just took two steps forward. 
    Solibarrie_rosenking editor the grate
  • Reply 97 of 109
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Yeah. It gives me hope for the future of CR.

king editor the grate
  • Reply 98 of 109
    gatorguy said:
    Quite impressed that she's personally involved herself with this thread. That's the way misunderstanding and disagreement should be addressed. My opinion of Consumer Reports just took two steps forward. 
    Pleased as well.

We've responded to yesterday night's email now that the morning news crush has died a bit, and are working on a schedule for a meeting.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 99 of 109

Congrats on making it to the big time.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 100 of 109
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    gatorguy said:
    Not really impressed.  They publicly called AI out for not attempting to contact them and unless they print a correction they are calling Mike a liar about contacting them.

Her presence here indicates that they have read that Mike tried to email them but the rebuttal stands as it is.  And it's not like she's going to answer anything substantive anyway...it's deflection and damage control.

Want to impress?  Change the rebuttal to indicate that AI did reach out.  Otherwise it's just BS.

That AI even appears on their radar makes this a Nelson HA HA moment for CR and a big win for AI.
    tmay