Google's next big Android update to support iPhone X-style 'notches'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    michelb76 said:
    Awaiting Android user's outrage and mocking...oh wait...
    Some mocked the Essential phone's notch when it first came out too, described as a "weird quirk" in one review, "a little peculiar" in another. "breaks the immersion" by yet another. 
  • Reply 42 of 50
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    gatorguy said:
    michelb76 said:
    Some mocked the Essential phone's notch when it first came out too, described as a "weird quirk" in one review, "a little peculiar" in another. "breaks the immersion" by yet another. 
    Not to mention the reviews for the notched Sharp Aquos S2, which described it as 'rather unpleasant', 'awkward' or 'bastard child'.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    avon b7 said:
    gatorguy said:
    michelb76 said:
    Not to mention the reviews for the notched Sharp Aquos S2, which described it as 'rather unpleasant', 'awkward' or 'bastard child'.
    There are multiple reasons I'd describe it as rather unpleasant and awkward.

watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 44 of 50
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    gatorguy said:
    michelb76 said:
    There are multiple reasons I'd describe it as rather unpleasant and awkward.

Yes. There are unsolved mysteries out there. LOL.

The cut off corners on that phone for one, and Samsung's placement of the fingerprint scanner next to the camera is another. 
  • Reply 45 of 50

Android P will be Pineapple, since Google is pining to be Apple.

Wish I could double-like that one. 
  • Reply 46 of 50
    avon b7 said:
    ROFL!!!!
    Oh well, if you can't beat them... etc etc

What's wrong in it? Much like Apple joined Android OEMs (particularly Samsung) in large screen phones, OLED display and high screen to body ratio display etc. Also like Android phones getting other features in iPhones like FDE, App level permissions, notification dots etc. Both platform benefit from each other and customers get a better phone at the end of the day.
    Because just throwing together a bunch of features usually doesn’t end up with a better user experience. And based on history so far I simply don’t see this changing any time soon on android side of things. I’m not saying that iOS is the flawless epitome of design here. But I do notice some step change from one platform to the other. But maybe that’s the reason why I never would consider an Android up till now while at the same time android users really might feel this as improvement. In the end, a Lada brings you from A to B as well. And if you don’t care about other things your use case might work out as opposed to, say, a BMW. However , if I’d ask some random 100 people if they’d prefer one car or the other I have a feeling what the answer might be. Regarding phones and many other things I feel that people are much to much trained to don’t care about design and functionality but for specs and price. Like they accepted the usability nightmares of VCRs or re it’s with 80+ buttons. YMMV
    I think if you asked 100 people about which system they preferred, you might see a higher proportion opting for Android.

iOS has had a shaky run on usability for many reasons and has had a long list of utterly terrible usability problems.
    And you're suggesting the swarm of Android knockoffs, often loaded with vendor middleware, has better usability? That is hilarious.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    avon b7 said:
    ROFL!!!!

What's wrong in it? Much like Apple joined Android OEMs (particularly Samsung) in large screen phones, OLED display and high screen to body ratio display etc. Also like Android phones getting other features in iPhones like FDE, App level permissions, notification dots etc. Both platform benefit from each other and customers get a better phone at the end of the day.
    Because just throwing together a bunch of features usually doesn’t end up with a better user experience. And based on history so far I simply don’t see this changing any time soon on android side of things. I’m not saying that iOS is the flawless epitome of design here. But I do notice some step change from one platform to the other. But maybe that’s the reason why I never would consider an Android up till now while at the same time android users really might feel this as improvement. In the end, a Lada brings you from A to B as well. And if you don’t care about other things your use case might work out as opposed to, say, a BMW. However , if I’d ask some random 100 people if they’d prefer one car or the other I have a feeling what the answer might be. Regarding phones and many other things I feel that people are much to much trained to don’t care about design and functionality but for specs and price. Like they accepted the usability nightmares of VCRs or re it’s with 80+ buttons. YMMV
    I think if you asked 100 people about which system they preferred, you might see a higher proportion opting for Android.

You might be mistaking “which system they preferred” for “which system they can afford”.  
  • Reply 48 of 50
    avon b7 said:
    ROFL!!!!

iOS has had a shaky run on usability for many reasons and has had a long list of utterly terrible usability problems.
    And you're suggesting the swarm of Android knockoffs, often loaded with vendor middleware, has better usability? That is hilarious.
    What do you mean by 'vendor' middleware?

Android adaptations by vendors or software from third partied that vendors sometimes include on devices?

Usability is usability.

The first thing switchers notice is the plethora of options or the lack of them (depending on the switch direction).

The fewer options you have, the more you depend on those provided by the host OS. If those options aren't to your liking you have to go searching for apps (if they exist) to add the features.

Case in point, if my camera app detects a QI code in the visor, I get the option to resolve it on the spot. No need for a third party app.

If I get an incoming call when the phone is not in silence mode, simply turning the phone over will send the call to voice mail.

Depending on the phone, if it detects that I am holding it, it won't even ring, simply vibrate.

If I don't know where my phone is I can simply ask it to tell me where it is if it's within listening distance.

If I want to run though my photo collection I can simply slide my finger across the fingerprint sensor. See the notification panel? Just slide my finger down on the same scanner.

Take a screenshot? Two taps with a knuckle.

You are not forced to learn a million different settings. The defaults are there but if you want to alter usability, you probably can.

Of course, I could go on.

The iOS 11 camera app now has a QI reader but does it have a manual mode where you can decide what you want to do with it?

And the other examples I gave? Does iOS on iPhone improve usability that much over previous versions? I only have iOS11 on the iPad Air 2.

It goes without saying that Android OS varies from device to device but the user decides what extras they want and purchase accordingly.

Is it still impossible to send any file you have created to another BT device without using that kludge called AirDrop?

I can count on the fingers of one hand the times it has actually worked. It is a prime example of non-usability.

You yourself confirmed that your iPhone X will not override it's setting if you are reading the screen horizontally. Why wasn't this option dealt with before release?

Hilarious? For whom?
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:
    ROFL!!!!

You might be mistaking “which system they preferred” for “which system they can afford”.  
    I doubt it. With Apple widening its product spread, the vast majority of people who want an iOS device can find one at a price point they can afford. That of course is even truer for Android.