Sonos One feet leaving same white marks on wood furniture that the HomePod can

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
A day after a debacle began about the HomePod silicone ring on the base of the unit was causing a stain to appear on some wood surfaces, it looks that the Sonos One has a similar issue with its own vibration-insulating feet.

A reviewer at Tom's Guide noted the markings that were caused by the feet of the Sonos One. Instead of a solid ring, Sonos has elected for four raised "feet" -- and contact with those feet is similarly inducing the temporary markings on furniture.

The HomePod's manifestation of the white markings was first spotted on Wednesday. it is manifesting from contact with "oiled" wood surfaces and the silicone ring on the bottom of a HomePod.

It is not appearing on all wood surfaces. AppleInsider's HomePod used for testing has been in a fixed location on a finished wood surface since Saturday, and no ring has developed.

"It is not unusual for any speaker with a vibration-dampening silicone base to leave mild marks when placed on some wooden surfaces," the Apple support webpage for the HomePod reads. "The marks can be caused by oils diffusing between the silicone base and the table surface, and will often go away after several days when the speaker is removed from the wooden surface. If not, wiping the surface gently with a soft damp or dry cloth may remove the marks. If marks persist, clean the surface with the furniture manufacturer's recommended cleaning process. If you're concerned about this, we recommend placing your HomePod on a different surface."

It appears that glass, granite, MDF plywood, polyurethane-sealed wood, and laminate furniture such as that found in Ikea are not affected by the problem -- which makes sense if the problem is a reaction between different silicone mixes.
zroger73

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    People have been complaining about things leaving marks on their wood furniture since people started putting things on their wood furniture.
    Consumer electronics were always a biggie. I've had people complain about speakers, VCRs, TVs, stereo and then home theater receivers and then some.
    StrangeDaysjahbladetdknoxlolliverwatto_cobrabb-15
  • Reply 2 of 58
    A speakers main job is to vibrate and although they try to dampen the vibrations that don't come directly from the drivers no speaker enclosure is perfect ( they all have resonant vibrations). So of course you should be aware of what you place it on.
    igorskylolliver
  • Reply 3 of 58
    But but but Apple! Shortcomings! Shoddy QA! They said it was Apple...they said...
    igorskyracerhomie3tdknoxpscooter63jony0watto_cobraGeorgeBMacbrucemc
  • Reply 4 of 58
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    This is just silly. I'd be pissed with white rings on my tables from a speaker. So now I have to think about what kind of table I place my speaker on? Now pointing out that the SONOS 1 does it also. This is bring back Steve Jobs coming out and showing how holding other phones just right blocks the antenna also as the iPhone 4. Do wee really need to go back to that kind of thing?

The simple fact is, Apple didn't have to use Silicon. If that was rubber on the bottom, it wouldn't matter what table you placed it on, it would be fine. There would be no markings. This is really just another design flaw. Tell it as it is. These excuses are weak. Now we have #ringgate!!

This is a issue that didn't have to exist. To me, it's more poor testing from Apple. I don't know if it's just so afraid of leaks that outside testing is really locked down?!?! Doing everything in the LAB is not REAL WORLD. This looks like it's going to be another Class Action on Apple. It just didn't have to be this way. Stop with the lame excuses on this.
    edited February 2018 lkruppsaltyzipdeepinsideranantksundaram
  • Reply 5 of 58
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    jbdragon said:
    This is just silly. I'd be pissed with white rings on my tables from a speaker. So now I have to think about what kind of table I place my speaker on? Now pointing out that the SONOS 1 does it also. This is bring back Steve Jobs coming out and showing how holding other phones just right blocks the antenna also as the iPhone 4. Do wee really need to go back to that kind of thing?

The simple fact is, Apple didn't have to use Silicon. If that was rubber on the bottom, it wouldn't matter what table you placed it on, it would be fine. There would be no markings. This is really just another design flaw. Tell it as it is. These excuses are weak. Now we have #ringgate!!

This is a issue that didn't have to exist. To me, it's more poor testing from Apple. I don't know if it's just so afraid of leaks that outside testing is really locked down?!?! Doing everything in the LAB is not REAL WORLD. This looks like it's going to be another Class Action on Apple. It just didn't have to be this way. Stop with the lame excuses on this.
    Quit whining.  Yes, that’s what you’re doing.

Use a cloth and wipe your furniture down like your momma showed you.  

The level of entitled, childish, bratty behavior has reached an all new level.

i lost track of how many items leave blemishes on my wood furniture over the decades.  I never once though about complaining because... hey, furniture gets dirty.

grow up.
    mwhiteStrangeDaysmacxpressnetmagelkruppnhtRayz2016tdknoxpscooter63jony0
  • Reply 6 of 58
    But but but Apple! Shortcomings! Shoddy QA! They said it was Apple...they said...
    Sonos’ problems with rings in wood tables didn’t start until HomePod started doing it, so it is Apple’s fault.
    igorskylkruppdacharpscooter63jony0[Deleted User]watto_cobraGeorgeBMacbrucemc
  • Reply 7 of 58
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    jbdragon said:

Are you fucking serious? I buy my dining set from Macy's and realize that the table may scratch my wood floor if I slide it around. Should I complain to Macys that they should've tested their furniture on all type of floors to prevent things like that or just Macys to issue the statement "Hey Stupid People, make sure you don't slide the heavy table on your bare precious wood floor".
    igorskyaegeanpscooter63jony0lolliverwatto_cobrabrucemcbb-15willcropoint
  • Reply 8 of 58
    How hard is it to include a disclaimer if for no other reason than CYA? The article Apple added to its knowledge base should have been there the day the device went on sale. Same thing with phone throttling. Became a major issue mostly because of poor communication. Too much information is not a bad thing. 
    saltyzipjony0
  • Reply 9 of 58
    fallenjt said:
    jbdragon said:

Are you fucking serious? I buy my dining set from Macy's and realize that the table may scratch my wood floor if I slide it around. Should I complain to Macys that they should've tested their furniture on all type of floors to prevent things like that or just Macys to issue the statement "Hey Stupid People, make sure you don't slide the heavy table on your bare precious wood floor".
    Yeah um, a company calling their customers stupid is never a good thing.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    jbdragon said:

Quit your crybaby mode please.
    igorskyStrangeDaysnetmagejony0lolliverronnwatto_cobrabb-15seafoxcolinng
  • Reply 11 of 58
    I understand a cup of coffee or tea may also leave rings on wood furniture. Sue Starbucks! Sue Lipton!
    igorskyanomelolliverronnwatto_cobrabb-15seafoxcolinng
  • Reply 12 of 58
    jbdragon said:

pretty sure rubber on the bottom would not make a difference. the rings are caused because the silicone absorbs some oil from the wood. rubber would similarly absorb those same oils. also, these have been in homes of apple employees for months, not locked up in a lab. or did you simply forget to add a "/s" at the end of your post?
    edited February 2018 igorskynetmagelolliverwatto_cobrabb-15colinng
  • Reply 13 of 58
    jbdragon said:

The simple fact is, Apple didn't have to use Silicon. If that was rubber on the bottom, it wouldn't matter what table you placed it on, it would be fine. 

Citation needed.
    edited February 2018 StrangeDaysmacxpressnetmagepscooter63lolliverwatto_cobrabb-15
  • Reply 14 of 58
    How hard is it to include a disclaimer if for no other reason than CYA? The article Apple added to its knowledge base should have been there the day the device went on sale. Same thing with phone throttling. Became a major issue mostly because of poor communication. Too much information is not a bad thing. 
    Did Sonos include a disclamer?  Or any other company that makes similar products?  Not sure why you feel Apple should have to follow a different standard than any other company.
    StrangeDaysnetmagelolliverronnwatto_cobrabb-15wisey
  • Reply 15 of 58
    jbdragon said:

Nonsense. If you have nice materials (such as anything with a "living finish") in your home, you absolutely do have to think about taking care of them. This includes oiled wood (which most people don't actually have when it comes to wooden tables). If you have a living finish, you know. I have a copper kitchen sink and you'd better believe a million things in the kitchen leave chemical reaction marks/rings on it. None of them provided me with "warnings", but as the owner of the material I know what to look out for, how to treat & restore the material, etc. I also have very old wood floors and know I need to protect them from table legs and the hard plastic feet which actually scratch it. Should I whine about the table company not "warning" me that the feet may scratch my floor?

So. much. whining. And as usual. I'd wager 99% of the whiners do not have and will not experience the issue they're very "concerned" about. Including you.

Do send us a photo if it affected you.
    edited February 2018 netmagetdknoxsandorpscooter63lolliverwatto_cobrabrucemcbb-15wisey
  • Reply 16 of 58
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    jbdragon said:

netmageStrangeDayslolliverronnbestkeptsecretwatto_cobraRonnnieO
  • Reply 17 of 58
    At some point in the future I am expecting an article on whether the HomePod is more/less likely to be used as a scratching post by the family cat and what did Apple/Sonos know about this problem ahead of time.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 58
    At some point in the future I am expecting an article on whether the HomePod is more/less likely to be used as a scratching post by the family cat and what did Apple/Sonos know about this problem ahead of time.
    Will people then ask why Apple didn't post a warning that cats may the feel of the mesh fabric? lol. 

BTW, my cats LOVE Apple cables more than any other. Why? Because Apple chose to use a spongy plastic formula designed to reduce tangling. My cats love how squishy it is to chew on. Yet...No warning. WTF Apple!?
    anomelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    The good news is a new HomePod is larger and would hide the marks from the Sonos One!  ;)
    edited February 2018 lolliverGeorgeBMacmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 58
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    jbdragon said:

Silicone is a more permanent material for dampening than rubber is, is more durable, and deals with getting moved and temperature extremes better.

Source: was sound isolation assistant on a U.S. Navy submarine.
    edited February 2018 StrangeDayspscooter63lolliverGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra