Apple to prep second season of 'Carpool Karaoke'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has opted to renew "Carpool Karaoke" for a second season, according to CBS, which hosts "The Late Late Show with James Corden," from which "Carpool Karaoke" was spun off.

The network didn't provide any further details, such as guests, a shooting schedule, or when the new season might premiere. The announcement was caught by Bloomberg reporter Lucas Shaw.

The show's premise puts two or more celebrities in a car together as they sing along to various songs. The first season, which premiered in August last year, featured guests such as Will Smith, Metallica, and "Game of Thrones" stars Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams. An episode with Linkin Park and Ken Jeong was one of the last things recorded by Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington before his death.

Another unknown is whether the series will continue as an Apple Music exclusive or join a 2019 TV lineup available to everyone with a compatible Apple device. The slate could be distributed through the "TV" app for the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV.

Some shows on tap include a reboot of Steven Spielberg's "Amazing Stories," a sci-fi show from "Battlestar Galactica" veteran Ronald D. Moore, and a sketch comedy show starring Kristen Wiig.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Renewing it?

Gosh, I wonder if that means people were watching it. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Rayz2016 said:
    Renewing it?

Shocked too..... who is watching this ???
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Rayz2016 said:
    Renewing it?

People subscribed to Apple Music
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Renewing it?

Rayz2016 said:
    Renewing it?

People who aren’t arrogant curmudgeons living under a bridge like you two. I watch it because it’s clever and funny.
    edited February 2018 lolliverSoliStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 5 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Renewing it?

Rayz2016 said:
    Renewing it?

People who aren’t arrogant curmudgeons living under a bridge like you two. I watch it because it’s clever and funny.
    There will always be those "I don't watch it so no one much watch it" people. It's clear this is inexpensive to produce and that it's used as a vehicle to promote artists and albums (and potentially even TV shows and movies), not to mention added value for Apple Music.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 6 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Renewing it?

I have not seen one episode. Not even a clip. All I’ve ever seen is a screen grab posted here on ai.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    cornchip said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Renewing it?

I have not seen one episode. Not even a clip. All I’ve ever seen is a screen grab posted here on ai.
    If there's an entertainer or entertainers that you like you may want to check out that episode. I have a near non-existent interest in celebrities outside of the their product so the show isn't really appealing to me, but it seems that most people do care about such things as evidenced by the number of talk show interviews, award shows with red carpet affairs, countless magazines, and "reality" TV shows features so-called celebrities.

I did catch Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) and Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) speaking like Sean Bean (Ned Stark), which I thought was hysterical.

edited February 2018
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Renewing it?

Rayz2016 said:
    Renewing it?

Heh. I was being sarcastic. I’m not surprised it was renewed. 

Did I watch it? No. 
    Does that mean it was rubbish? Certainly not. It just means that it wasn’t my cup of tea.  

Soli[Deleted User]
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Renewing it?

Rayz2016 said:
    Renewing it?

There will always be those "I don't watch it so no one much watch it" people. It's clear this is inexpensive to produce and that it's used as a vehicle to promote artists and albums (and potentially even TV shows and movies), not to mention added value for Apple Music.
    I saw many non tech people tweeted that they love to watch this but not willing to pay for Apple Music so the number of people watched it might not be that bad. 
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Just not interested in Apple video. Why doesn’t Apple buy Disney? Everything apple wants to do is so very G rated! I have more fun with Game of Thrones, Black Mirror, Sense8. It’s all too scandalous for Apple. Oh well, maybe someday...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    sfjohn said:
    Just not interested in Apple video. Why doesn’t Apple buy Disney? Everything apple wants to do is so very G rated! I have more fun with Game of Thrones, Black Mirror, Sense8. It’s all too scandalous for Apple. Oh well, maybe someday…
    1) Disney does a lot more than G-rated content. They owned Miramax until around 2010, I think, and they currently own plenty of companies that aren't in the direct, family-friendly umbrella of Disney. Plus, even with Apple's great wealth I'm not sure it would be a great buy, even if they could do a hostile take over.

2) It looks like you don't mind adult content and have Netflix. Check out Altered Carbon. Season 1 hit Netflix 2 weeks ago.
    edited February 2018 sfjohn
  • Reply 12 of 14
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Soli said:
    sfjohn said:
    Just not interested in Apple video. Why doesn’t Apple buy Disney? Everything apple wants to do is so very G rated! I have more fun with Game of Thrones, Black Mirror, Sense8. It’s all too scandalous for Apple. Oh well, maybe someday…
    1) Disney does a lot more than G-rated content. They owned Miramax until around 2010, I think, and they currently own plenty of companies that aren't in the direct, family-friendly umbrella of Disney. Plus, even with Apple's great wealth I'm not sure it would be a great buy, even if they could do a hostile take over.

2) It looks like you don't mind adult content and have Netflix. Check out Altered Carbon. Season 1 hit Netflix 2 weeks ago.
    Disney owns both Marvel and the star wars universe and they're getting Fox too, they own a ridiculously broad content.

As for the stark sisters ;-), man they're crazy funny, must be hard to actually film a scene with them around without it taking 10 takes if they're that funny on set.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 13 of 14
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    I don't have Apple Music so I have not been able to watch it since the switch. Is it still funny and entertaining? Or has it jumped the shark? I would think that James Cordon was the glue and the artist was essential. Some like Adele and Red Hot Chili...  were amazing. But, Shaq? 
  • Reply 14 of 14
    techno said:
    I don't have Apple Music so I have not been able to watch it since the switch. Is it still funny and entertaining? Or has it jumped the shark? I would think that James Cordon was the glue and the artist was essential. Some like Adele and Red Hot Chili...  were amazing. But, Shaq? 
    Out of curiosity I watched it & it's decent. If it's on Netflix it will be a hit but since it's Apple's people just like "I don't want it" for some reason.
    Having watched the 1st episode, I will watch the rest when I have time for sure.