Apple urges users to send money to friends with Apple Pay Cash, upgrade to iOS 11.2

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    cropr said:
    Once a month I go with the team mates at work to a nice restaurant to have our lunch.  One of us pays the total bill and the others pay him/her back.  Currently we use the person to person payment functionality that is developed by a consortium of all Belgian banks and that is built in the different mobile banking apps of these banks.  This is a great solution: it is free of charge for the user, it works with any Belgian bank account on any smartphone (iOS, Android and even Windows Mobile). 

I don't see any added value of a system that will only work with iOS devices and with the banks that subscribed to Apple Pay.  Although I have an iPhone, and iPad and Macs, I will never consider a person to person payment system where I am not sure I can use it versus a system where I am 100% sure that I can use it, even if the user interface of the latter might be not as smooth.

One of the things to keep in mind is that compared to the rest of the world , in many areas of  the US is one of the most technologically backward countries on the planet - because their labor laws are so “flexible” - labor is cheap, competition is nonexistent, and there are many many jobs that are just manual paper shuffling/ticket stamping , that no longer exist in other countries due to higher minimum wages making digitization & automation worthwhile. 

eg when I was at uni in the late 80’s , our student ID cards functioned as a virtual cash card in the cafeteria, printing, room access etc with a proprietary RFID system , but the UX was not very far from today’s contactless systems - it’s just 30 years earlier 

The US is still stuck in some user hostile, inefficient bizzaro world ; eg I tried to buy something at Starbucks at the SFO international terminal , and found out they don’t support payment by foreign cards. At the international terminal of an airport.

if you are from outside the US, many of these things are somewhat Meh, but yet are real innovation in the US market
    watto_cobraxamax
  • Reply 22 of 38
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    cropr said:
    Once a month I go with the team mates at work to a nice restaurant to have our lunch.  One of us pays the total bill and the others pay him/her back.  Currently we use the person to person payment functionality that is developed by a consortium of all Belgian banks and that is built in the different mobile banking apps of these banks.  This is a great solution: it is free of charge for the user, it works with any Belgian bank account on any smartphone (iOS, Android and even Windows Mobile). 

I don't see any added value of a system that will only work with iOS devices and with the banks that subscribed to Apple Pay.  Although I have an iPhone, and iPad and Macs, I will never consider a person to person payment system where I am not sure I can use it versus a system where I am 100% sure that I can use it, even if the user interface of the latter might be not as smooth.

First, you should exclusively have friends who also have iPhones.  Once you’ve accomplished that, the rest should be easy.  ߘ즬t;/div>
    Indeed, but given my disturbed mental health I am not in the driver seat to choose my friends :)
    edited February 2018 cgWerks
  • Reply 23 of 38
    cropr said:

First, you should exclusively have friends who also have iPhones.  Once you’ve accomplished that, the rest should be easy.  😜
    This was (is) my goal as well, lol. I've tried for years to get one friend to switch over as she would complain year over year about SS and 'droid. And she just upgraded...to a SS S7. <Sigh> ;-) 
    watto_cobraxamax
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Yeah thats cool, hopefully it comes to the UK soon.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 38
    But it's still really strange you can't buy or rent movie in iTunes with Apple Pay. What the heck Apple!
    ihatescreennames
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Interesting. Have you tried again recently or have you sort of given up trying for now?
    After going back and forth with Apple for help including all the things they thought might be causing the issue (address fields not filled in, etc) and it still not working, I gave up. I’d love to give it another shot down the road. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 38
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    f1ferrari said:
    My wife and I tried sending money to each other via ApplePay Cash. It worked as easy as could be. However, the only thing we could do was deposit to our banks because when we tried to use it at the usual places we pay with Apple Pay, the transactions were declined every time. I contacted Apple and walked through all their steps, and nothing they suggested remedied the problem. 
    It's your bank, not ApplePay. Same problem here, and I called Wells Fargo. They authorized it. First time only.
    watto_cobrabshank
  • Reply 28 of 38
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    abycats said:
    The annoying thing about Apple Cash is that the attached “credit” card must actually be a debit card. My ATM/credit cards do not include debit features because of the potential liability for losses upon theft. So, to use this, I had to agree to the lesser protection of a debit card. Not a great trade-off. 
    You're probably the only 1 in US with bank card without debit. Seriously, it's 21st century. We got that in the last century.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrabshank
  • Reply 29 of 38
    fallenjt said:
    f1ferrari said:
    My wife and I tried sending money to each other via ApplePay Cash. It worked as easy as could be. However, the only thing we could do was deposit to our banks because when we tried to use it at the usual places we pay with Apple Pay, the transactions were declined every time. I contacted Apple and walked through all their steps, and nothing they suggested remedied the problem. 
    It's your bank, not ApplePay. Same problem here, and I called Wells Fargo. They authorized it. First time only.
    Are you sure that’s it?  That isn’t the way I understood APC to work.  Let’s just say you send me $20 via Apple Pay Cash, that money came from Wells Fargo on your end but is now in my Apple Pay Cash card.  If I want to spend that $20 from my Apple Pay Cash card what does my bank need to authorize?  As far as I know my bank isn’t involved at that point, only when sending money from my debit card OR when I’m transferring money from APC back to my bank account.

fallenjt said:
    abycats said:
    The annoying thing about Apple Cash is that the attached “credit” card must actually be a debit card. My ATM/credit cards do not include debit features because of the potential liability for losses upon theft. So, to use this, I had to agree to the lesser protection of a debit card. Not a great trade-off. 
    You're probably the only 1 in US with bank card without debit. Seriously, it's 21st century. We got that in the last century.
    Well, maybe not the only one.  I got my first debit card in August in anticipation of Apple Pay Cash.  I managed to do just fine for over 40 years with no debit card and I don’t plan on using one now except those Apple Pay Cash instances.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 38
    cropr said:

Hmm yes if only there was a way to know if my friends and associates were on iOS while in Messages... Hmm what could it be? Oh yes, the color of our messages. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 38

Rayz2016 said:
    brakken said:
    In other news, AI is continuing its emulation of such 'amazing' blogger sites as The Verge and Cnet with hyperbolic titles.
    Agreed. 

I once caught them trying out the “You will be amazed by THIS product” title format. They quickly changed it. 

As a a rule of thumb, I ignore any article on any site that has the word “finally” in the title. 
    Has the title been changed here because I don’t find it particularly hyperbolic. 
    I find the claim that this email “urges” customers to use APC is hyperbolic, with an intentional desperation edge to it. As if to suggest it isn’t getting much use, is a potential failure, doom, etc...
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Rayz2016 said:
    brakken said:
    In other news, AI is continuing its emulation of such 'amazing' blogger sites as The Verge and Cnet with hyperbolic titles.
    Agreed. 

I once caught them trying out the “You will be amazed by THIS product” title format. They quickly changed it. 

As a a rule of thumb, I ignore any article on any site that has the word “finally” in the title. 
    Has the title been changed here because I don’t find it particularly hyperbolic. 
    I find the claim that this email “urges” customers to use APC is hyperbolic, with an intentional desperation edge to it. As if to suggest it isn’t getting much use, is a potential failure, doom, etc...
    FWIW Tim Cook in the last analyst call following quarterly results mentioned being surprised at how slowly Apple Pay is being adopted as a cash replacement.
    Asked about mobile payments, Cook expressed some surprise that the technology had been slower to gain traction than he personally had expected “a few years ago.” Nonetheless, the chief exec said that he still hoped “to be alive to see the elimination of money.”
    xamax
  • Reply 33 of 38
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    f1ferrari said:
    That sucks. It works for me just fine at my local grocery/liquor store
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 38
    fallenjt said:
    Once my wife sends me the money, why would either of our banks care what’s done with the money in the ApplePay Cash account? Her bank authorized the transaction to me, and my bank doesn’t know I have the money in my ApplePay account. 
    ihatescreennameswatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Australia Please.
    Seconded 👍
  • Reply 36 of 38
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    uroshnor said:
    One of the things to keep in mind is that compared to the rest of the world , in many areas of  the US is one of the most technologically backward countries on the planet - because their labor laws are so “flexible” - labor is cheap, competition is nonexistent, and there are many many jobs that are just manual paper shuffling/ticket stamping , that no longer exist in other countries due to higher minimum wages making digitization & automation worthwhile. 

eg when I was at uni in the late 80’s , our student ID cards functioned as a virtual cash card in the cafeteria, printing, room access etc with a proprietary RFID system , but the UX was not very far from today’s contactless systems - it’s just 30 years earlier 

The US is still stuck in some user hostile, inefficient bizzaro world ; eg I tried to buy something at Starbucks at the SFO international terminal , and found out they don’t support payment by foreign cards. At the international terminal of an airport.

if you are from outside the US, many of these things are somewhat Meh, but yet are real innovation in the US market
    The lack of competition is the problem, more than the low cost of labour, I think. The banks just don't have much incentive to change anything. Why spend money they don't have to on new systems if there is no demand? Security (and their potential loses) are what is likely the biggest driver of change. Or, a bank that's innovative... but I don't recall ever seeing that in the US.

Also, Canada has had this stuff for a long time too, and people make less here than in the USA.

f1ferrari said:
    After going back and forth with Apple for help including all the things they thought might be causing the issue (address fields not filled in, etc) and it still not working, I gave up. I’d love to give it another shot down the road. 
    Apple's backend systems, cloud systems, and UIs to those systems on device, are just really, really bad and not well thought out. I've run into similar issues with email change to AppleID not being universally recognized across devices or between areas on a single device, with the old email kind of 'baked in'... or AppleIDs on laptops not being able to download purchased software, etc. The Apple techs try, but it often ends with just starting over from scratch. And, that's not even getting into sync issues, data loss, etc.

If you use Apple's cloud stuff, have really good backup and archival (not Apple's!), export data files from critical apps like Calendar, Address Book, etc. For things were you can use Dropbox and a 3rd party app, probably better to do so. And, be ready to just have to start over... it's the 'new' Apple.

fallenjt said:
    People in the USA often only know what Credit Cards are. They practically assign you one at birth now, to start building your 'credit score' (which is actually more like a financial-juiciness score for lenders). That said, they can be quite handy for business or some of the plans that give back incentives when you've got to spend the money anyway. But, for the average consumer, they are near the root of financial woes.

I don't recall ever having a debit card (or even knowing anyone with one) before coming to Canada.

ihatescreennames said:
    Well, maybe not the only one.  I got my first debit card in August in anticipation of Apple Pay Cash.  I managed to do just fine for over 40 years with no debit card and I don’t plan on using one now except those Apple Pay Cash instances.
    In Canada, nearly everyone uses debit cards by default, and only credit cards when necessary. That said, most debit cards now have a Visa or MC logo on them, and can do either a debit or a debit via credit transaction with the same card.

When we first moved here, most debit cards didn't connect to Visa/MC, which was a bit of a pain, especially when traveling. Now, I prefer it and get a bit irritated when someone won't accept it (hotels, car-rental companies, though I at least understand why there). But, for example, the company I rent web-space from will only take a 'real' credit card, even though there is like zero reason for them to do so that I can see (they are an awesome company besides that pet peeve).
    watto_cobraxamax
  • Reply 37 of 38

abycats said:

More false news on the Internet.  You can use credit cards for Apple Pay cash, not just debit cards.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/12/05/use-apple-pay-cash-with-a-debit-card-to-avoid-a-3-credit-card-transaction-fee

• Reply 38 of 38
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    First, you should exclusively have friends who also have iPhones.  Once you’ve accomplished that, the rest should be easy.  😜
    I think I could actually convince a Phillipines client of mine to change to an iPhone should I be able to receive her $ here in Europe with  Pay Cash.

Re national banking system p2p cash sending we also have it here in Portugal, completely OS independent, called MB Way. They also have a virtual credit card number issuing system for individual purchases that totally secures the buying process, even if the # get stolen. Really smart.
    watto_cobra