Interior Apple Park glass is so clear, distracted employees are walking into it

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2018
The Apple Park's open, collaborative design is broken up into pods, separated by glass panes from floor to ceiling -- and distracted employees are walking straight into them.

An account by Bloomberg published on Friday discusses the issue. Employees have come up with a solution for it, by putting sticky notes on the doors, but they keep getting removed because they detract from the design of the facility, said sources familiar with the matter.

Bloomberg reports that "there are other markings" to identify the glass, but didn't make clear if they were improvisational by the employees, or permanent by the developers. If the latter, they don't appear to be working.

So far, official Apple channels have not responded to requests for comment. AppleInsider wasn't able to verify the claims of injuries with OSHA, nor its own sources.

However, one of AppleInsider's sources within the company not authorized to speak for Apple was amused by the reports, and said that she "saw [the impacts] coming, a mile away."

On Feb. 22, 2017, Apple officially named the "spaceship" campus. The entire facility is now called "Apple Park," with the 20-foot tall and 165 foot in diameter glass auditorium honoring one of the founders of the company and named the "Steve Jobs Theater."

Apple held its first official event in Steve Jobs Theater on Sept. 12 with the unveiling of the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Can this be true? This is not a new problem with glass doors and walls and is the reason glass doors in public spaces are covered with 'lines' and 'stickers'. Walking into a glass door can be very painful. I appreciate 'clean' design, but not 'stupid' design, so I have to question whether this really can be true. 
    zoetmbaylkviclauyyccornchipjony0feudalist
  • Reply 2 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    We Floridians know all about the pain of walking into a glass, it really hurts especially if running.  Come the end of the winter when all the sliding glass doors get shut for the summer and AC there is hardly a year goes by someone doesn't smash straight into one and bounce back.  The solution here is to hang cheesy little dolphins, alligators etc. from suction pads at eye level which when sober are sufficient warning.  Apple might want to opt for a more sophisticated eye catcher such as a hanging Toy Story characters.  ;)
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 3 of 75
    Maybe people should just watch where they're going...
    appleismymiddlenameandrewj5790racerhomie3epicuruswatto_cobracornchipjony0JWSClolliver
  • Reply 4 of 75
    macxpress said:
    Ah, there's the snag.  Watch all you like but very clear glass at the right light levels and you don't see it at all. 
    wlymdysamoriaravnorodomgatorguy[Deleted User]DoodpantsradarthekatSpamSandwichaylkanton zuykov
  • Reply 5 of 75
    Lawyers no doubt already looking for Apple employees with bloody noses to start a glass action!
    cecil444iCintosravnorodom[Deleted User]appleismymiddlenameRonnnieOandrewj5790lkruppradarthekatking editor the grate
  • Reply 6 of 75
    MacPro said:
    macxpress said:
    Ah, there's the snag.  Watch all you like but very clear glass at the right light levels and you don't see it at all. 
    I bet they know it there now LOL. 
    andrewj5790directhackercornchip
  • Reply 7 of 75
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    It's strange for a company famous for its secrecy to suffer from perfect transparency.
    cecil444dysamoriaiCintosmacpluspluspascal007[Deleted User]andrewj5790RonnnieOlkruppradarthekat
  • Reply 8 of 75
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Who here didn't anticipate lots of practicality issues would crop up with this building? We already had an article discussing how many people hate working in open floor plans...
  • Reply 9 of 75
    ...is there finally a purpose for all those white Apple logo stickers...? :)
    anantksundaram[Deleted User]radarthekatallmypeople2old4funtallest skilaylkbb-15viclauyyccornchip
  • Reply 10 of 75
    The exterior glass walls of the Apple Park visitor center and registration buildings have a sequence of small vertical white or black lines at waist height that ring their perimeters. I assume these were placed for this purpose, however they’re not immediately obvious (might distract from the design, you know!) so I can’t imagine they make a difference, especially to the distracted. Interior walls with fewer reflections would be even more of a hazard.

Hopefully Apple has planned ahead and is stocking their iNfirmary with lots of iCepacks ;)
    [Deleted User]2old4fun
  • Reply 11 of 75
    macxpress said:
    MacPro said:
    macxpress said:
    Believe it or not, I've done it almost every other year for thirty years when we shut the sliders as summer comes on (any day now here).  As you bounce off and you forehead feels like you were hit by a 2 x 4 you hear a little voice in your head say ... 'Again, really?"
    cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 75

...is there finally a purpose for all those white Apple logo stickers...? :)
    Those multi-colored ones would be far better. ;)
    cornchip
  • Reply 13 of 75
    Big deal. I do this with my patio door at home all the time...
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 75
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    They really need to put silhouettes of threatening things on the glass, like they do on building windows to reduce bird strikes. I suggest silhouettes of Steve Ballmer. That'll scare the crap out of anyone.
    andrewj5790radarthekatanantksundaramtokyojimuviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 75
    Big deal. I do this with my patio door at home all the time...
    You too?  ;). It can really hurt when walking fast.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    Seems to be the new Apple: form over function 😉
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 75
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    MacPro said:
    macxpress said:
    MacPro said:
    macxpress said:
    Believe it or not, I've done it almost every other year for thirty years when we shut the sliders as summer comes on (any day now here).  As you bounce off and you forehead feels like you were hit by a 2 x 4 you hear a little voice in your head say ... 'Again, really?"
    I'm sorry but I just can't stop laughing at this article. I'm just bad! Mean! No sympathy! :smiley: 
    Deckardrick
  • Reply 18 of 75
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    Perhaps this is a good use for some of those Apple logo stickers that come with every purchase...
    king editor the grateDeckardrickwatto_cobrasree
  • Reply 19 of 75
    Surrounding the Cupertino, California-based building are 45-foot tall curved panels of safety glass. Inside are work spaces, dubbed “pods,” also made with a lot of glass. Apple staff are often glued to the iPhones they helped popularize. That’s resulted in repeated cases of distracted employees walking into the panes, according to people familiar with the incidents. 
    How about watch where you’re going and don’t be glued to your phone 24/7? Also who are the “people familiar with the incidents” who ran to Bloomberg? There is no company in history that has had more absurd nonsense written about it.
    StrangeDayscornchipLoneStar88patchythepirate
  • Reply 20 of 75
    Just walk around with an arm extended in front. (Zombie moaning optional.)
    dewmewatto_cobracornchip